Wheeler Dealer

DCFC1388

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I actually don't...

Macca took a team which I genuinely thought was doing well for themselves in upper mid-table and turned them into challengers for an automatic promotion spot

We then slipped in the second season - Back to the sort of place Nigel Clough would have dreamed of us being in...

The only reason McClaren had a team on the verge of promotion was cos HE took them there...

I think you're in danger of contradicting yourself regarding McClaren. He inherited a good squad which Nigel Clough actually built on peanuts (sorry, @Mostyn6). True, McClaren brought in Dawkins. If he was such a good manager, he should have been able to continue that momentum following the play-off defeat , build on that platform and complete the job. Others have done after losing a play-off final like McDermott at Reading, or Karanka at Middlesbrough. He should have ignored Newcastle's overtures, easily said then done, yes, but focused on the job at hand. In my opinion, both he and Rush frittered away the good work they inherited. 

I think you are mistaking a spell of football where he transfixed our fans but which did not lead to anything substantial. He had an opportunity to beat a side with 10 men, something he seems to struggle with, having been once outwitted by Nigel Clough in a similar situation. We could have waited for extra time and then worn down QPR. Where were his tactics then? 

Anyone can be forgiven for losing a final, but McClaren did not go on to follow it through. I think if you're going to rip up a blue-print, as Rush did, you should at least ensure that you replace it with something that will deliver or improve on it.

Edited by Asanovic70

I actually meant @cheron85 was contradicting himself, you earlier made a comment about the side McClaren built on peanuts, which is a blatant mistruth,  conveniently forgetting who actually assembled it. McClaren didn't spent f-all as you put it so decorously, he brought in Wisdom, with a loan fee probably involved. 

The point is that McClaren didn't get us up and he didn't build on this platform which he was fortunate to inherit. You make it sound like he inherited a rabble in the bottom 3 rather than the likes of Hughes, Hendrick & Bryson in midfield. How many managers walk into such a good situation? Very few.

5 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Marshall obviously as he isn’t going to play much 

Lawrence because we just wouldn’t miss a player that doesn’t turn up and we can get a fee for him before his contract expires 

jozwiak - if we can get our money back - unless he want to start performing a lot better 

thats it currently - keep the youth 

so who you gonna replace them 2 wingers with at such short notice then??

12 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

I think you're in danger of contradicting yourself regarding McClaren. He inherited a good squad which Nigel Clough actually built on peanuts (sorry, @Mostyn6). True, McClaren brought in Dawkins. If he was such a good manager, he should have been able to continue that momentum following the play-off defeat , build on that platform and complete the job. Others have done after losing a play-off final like McDermott at Reading, or Karanka at Middlesbrough. He should have ignored Newcastle's overtures, easily said then done, yes, but focused on the job at hand. In my opinion, both he and Rush frittered away the good work they inherited. 

I think you are mistaking a spell of football where he transfixed our fans but which did not lead to anything substantial. He had an opportunity to beat a side with 10 men, something he seems to struggle with, having been once outwitted by Nigel Clough in a similar situation. We could have waited for extra time and then worn down QPR. Where were his tactics then? 

Anyone can be forgiven for losing a final, but McClaren did not go on to follow it through. I think if you're going to rip up a blue-print, as Rush did, you should at least ensure that you replace it with something that will deliver or improve on it.

Under NC we finished 12th and 10th in the previous seasons - I'm ignoring the 3 before that as genuine rebuilding time - But after 3 years NC had enough time to assemble a squad he wanted - We were 14th when McClaren took over and I don't think anyone was entertaining the idea that NC was taking us to the playoffs (never mind automatic promotion) that season

So the 'platform' which you say McClaren inherited was set somewhere between 10th and 14th position - If he'd finished around there the appointment would have been considered 'okay' - any lower would be failure

Then McClaren took us to 3rd (and apart from a dodgy sending off away at Burnley may have taken us higher)

The 8th place finish the season after was a failure based on HIS work the previous season - Not based on what he inherited - He inherited a bog standard mid-table championship side and turned them into contenders 

10 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

I actually meant @cheron85 was contradicting himself, you earlier made a comment about the side McClaren built on peanuts, which is a blatant mistruth,  conveniently forgetting who actually assembled it. McClaren didn't spent f-all as you put it so decorously, he brought in Wisdom, with a loan fee probably involved. 

The point is that McClaren didn't get us up and he didn't build on this platform which he was fortunate to inherit. You make it sound like he inherited a rabble in the bottom 3 rather than the likes of Hughes, Hendrick & Bryson in midfield. How many managers walk into such a good situation? Very few.

At the time only Hughes was being considered anything above a mid-table player

In fact - Even after that many didn't consider Hendrick to be all that

I've been very clear that he inherited a mid-table side - But you're trying to claim he inherited a top 3 side and then failed - He didn't - He took us to that success

Edited by cheron85

On 15/08/2021 at 22:32, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Byre? No way. Our best player. 

you posted this after Saturday - fair play

The second goal just proved if he had have been positioned correctly for the first he could still have totally fluffed it.

Not a great ten minutes for Nathan.

Do not get me wrong I think he is OK; but best player ?    After that I genuinely admire your loyalty 

10 hours ago, Asanovic70 said:

I remember those Clough years vividly. The apologists during that whole period of indifferent and boring football were consistent in their belief that Clough needed millions and shouldn’t be judged harshly as the players were not good enough. SMc proved this to be a nonsense. He sent back Adam Smith and bought in Wisdom on cheaper wages (was still on youth contract at Liverpool) and Dawkins, then Thorne on loan. Inspired but very cheap. Certainly not the millions people insisted Nigel needed and not what following managers spaffed since. 

19 hours ago, bcnram said:

There is no way that Byrne is a defender. He is ok going forward  but he has no ability no concentrate on his defensive duties or an awareness of wheat is going on around him. 

Unless you are joking of course in which case 'chortle, chortle'.

Thing is, if he did have an awareness of wheat, he could cultivate a small crop field down the right hand side of the pitch in our half. That would be guaranteed to slow down any marauding left wingers on the opposition. Job done. Half time, get a combine in, then repeat the job on the other half of the pitch

Wheat from the chaff.

Job done.

20 hours ago, bcnram said:

There is no way that Byrne is a defender. He is ok going forward  but he has no ability no concentrate on his defensive duties or an awareness of wheat is going on around him. 

He has made one mistake. That's a lot less than our other defenders.

8 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Because, as was proven in the Euros, Poland are also rubbish. 

That's just not true. Ranked 21 in the world rankings. Just to qualify for the EURO's your have to be of a certain standard. Poland won their qualifying group. They also drew 1-1 with Spain.

Edited by DCFC Kicks