Wheeler Dealer

DCFC1388

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Many good nations didn’t even qualify….? Like who.? 
they got 1 point, you can dress It up however you like, they got knocked out in the group stages of the competition that was the easiest It has ever been to get through to the next round. It has never been easier, and they didn’t come close to It. 
They were rubbish and if Jozwiak played for Huddersfield you wouldn’t even have noticed him playing in the Euros. 

Yeah what a rubbish team they are: ????

image.png.eb1e1f068f055a2229cf341fa3749e29.png

5 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

Think he is ideally suited to playing wing back, like he did so well at Wigan.

Byrne's still one of our best players though, even with his defensive flaws. He doesn't suite our current defensive style. If we were playing free flowing attacking football I think we'd just accept he'll make defensive errors.

Marshall < Connor Wickham, hard working, different option up front, okay age  

Forsyth < Kean Bryan, a centre half under 25 we could own

Shinnie < Nabil Bentaleb, if unrealistic then Busquets, different type of midfielder

Jozwiak < Robbie Brady, experienced, plus left back cover

Lawrence < Josh Sims, natural right winger, decent in league 1 last year, only 24

All under 30, all the type of player you feel good settle, stick around a few years, develop and help us move in the right direction. 

On 17/08/2021 at 08:44, cheron85 said:

Then McClaren took us to 3rd (and apart from a dodgy sending off away at Burnley may have taken us higher)

I think you're making excuses, just like Sam Rush did. Yes, Clough lost key home fixtures to Leicester & Burnley. But it was under McClaren that we lost 5 away games at top 12 rivals: Leicester, Blackburn, QPR, Ipswich & Middlesbrough (3W 2D 6L). You give McClaren some allowance, but not Clough. 

Clough may have been coming to the end of his tenture, but I think he deserved the chance to manage a team he built for a longer period. 

What I question is that you cannot make the distinction - neither can @Mostyn6 for that matter - between a manager who actually had the welfare of the club at heart and a coach who could not resist the overtures of Newcastle, despite Derby giving him an opportunity, and an excellent one at that, to manage the club when his stock was low. Mel Morris is to blame for our current predicament but there are others along the way who played a secondary role such as McClaren & Sam Rush. You could argue that McClaren ought to have shown more loyalty.

A cynic may say that the midtable obscurity you so lambast Clough for is now something we can only dream of.

Other than that, thank you for your civil response. I respect you for it.

Edited by Asanovic70

On 17/08/2021 at 09:19, Mostyn6 said:

I remember those Clough years vividly. The apologists during that whole period of indifferent and boring football were consistent in their belief that Clough needed millions and shouldn’t be judged harshly as the players were not good enough. SMc proved this to be a nonsense. He sent back Adam Smith and bought in Wisdom on cheaper wages (was still on youth contract at Liverpool) and Dawkins, then Thorne on loan. Inspired but very cheap. Certainly not the millions people insisted Nigel needed and not what following managers spaffed since. 

Yes, McClaren reenergized the club but it was a short-term boost. He didn't sustain it for whatever reason  and we drifted out of the play-offs. I am now beginning to think Ian Holloway on Quest is right about SMc. He is very good at persuading the higher ups at clubs that he can do a better job than the present incumbent.

Sam Rush also reenergized things, namely Paul & Claire Ince's bank account as well as the Wasserman's Group portfolio of players. We could do with that £750k if Mel 'No Mates' wanted a friend to talk football with at a BBQ. I reckon @Mostyn06 would have done it for £75 and a note guaranteeing all he could eat and drink during the evening - and probably have given better value!

One million to John Gregory, three quarters of a million to the Inces. Will we never learn?

On 20/08/2021 at 00:07, Ram1988 said:

What's happened to Wisdom? If we could sign more players would we sign him up again for his versatility?

Steady fullback for a Championship Team.

Bombscare at centre back at whatever level he played. 

Probably being treated for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) might explain his current period out of the game.