Who will be our first signing?

RoyMac5

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

I respect a lot of what you've posted but there are some compelling points you've overlooked, Morris wasted £200 million quid of his own money through his own poor decisions and mismanagement.

I'm sure that he doesn't need reminding of that by supporters with the benefit of 20/20 reverse vision but still he needs to remain accountable for the situation HE has plunged the club into. 

I've met a few "highly successful" businessmen (not mel i hasten to add) and the one common characteristic was hubris. All were utterly convinced of their own greatness.

I think business, like life in general, throws up a fair few black swans - people who just happen to get lucky, but cannot see it as that, it has to be their own brilliance.

Mel made his money through Candy Crush. Now there are thousands of game apps written, 99.9% of which disappear into obscurity and make nobody anything, but if you happen to have picked the right one........bingo!

But if Mel misunderstood huge good fortune for his own business acumen and then applies the same techniques to dcfc, he would probably end up hugely bewildered by the results (these were HIS decisions and he's brilliant) and full of regret.

Which is exactly how he sounded by the bits reported on the fans forum.

2 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So it could still be any one of the three in goal tomorrow then,Marshall's not been sold.

Rooney has said he has told Marshall the situation so its upto him if he wants to stay as 3rd choice (with the door not completely shut) or if he wants to move on

1 minute ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So it could still be any one of the three in goal tomorrow then,Marshall's not been sold.

"Rooney has confirmed that Roos will start in goal in tomorrow's opening fixture against Huddersfield Town at Pride Park Stadium with new signing Ryan Allsop on the bench."

5 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I've met a few "highly successful" businessmen (not mel i hasten to add) and the one common characteristic was hubris. All were utterly convinced of their own greatness.

I think business, like life in general, throws up a fair few black swans - people who just happen to get lucky, but cannot see it as that, it has to be their own brilliance.

Mel made his money through Candy Crush. Now there are thousands of game apps written, 99.9% of which disappear into obscurity and make nobody anything, but if you happen to have picked the right one........bingo!

But if Mel misunderstood huge good fortune for his own business acumen and then applies the same techniques to dcfc, he would probably end up hugely bewildered by the results (these were HIS decisions and he's brilliant) and full of regret.

Which is exactly how he sounded by the bits reported on the fans forum.

Watched a programme on Britain's most expensive houses yesterday featuring John Caldwell who made his money through flogging carphone warehouse for a billion quid.

Came across as a outstanding knobber.

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Watched a programme on Britain's most expensive houses yesterday featuring John Caldwell who made his money through flogging carphone warehouse for a billion quid.

Came across as a outstanding knobber.

Remember seeing some piece on him some years ago. Comes from Stoke doesn't he? 

Looks to be cut from similar cloth to people like Philip Green.

Philosophically, people like that stick in my craw. But our system of worth (being monetary) simply encourages that sort of person.

1 minute ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Remember seeing some piece on him some years ago. Comes from Stoke doesn't he? 

Looks to be cut from similar cloth to people like Philip Green.

Philosophically, people like that stick in my craw. But our system of worth (being monetary) simply encourages that sort of person.

He came from a poor Stoke background and worked hard no doubt.

But,clearly believed he's god's gift now and just comes across as an arse.

Mel comes across like one of the disciples in comparison.

Our next signing needs to be an attacking player imo, we now have 3 players capable of playing CB within our players of professional standing. So either Morrison or Baldock out of the triallists unless we can bring a striker in on loan like Delap

50 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Our next signing needs to be an attacking player imo, we now have 3 players capable of playing CB within our players of professional standing. So either Morrison or Baldock out of the triallists unless we can bring a striker in on loan like Delap

Think we could afford Baldock? - surprised he thinks he's got lots of choices? Just shows what little you get for £4.5k/week! 

A real goal-scorer is what we need. #COYR

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Think we could afford Baldock? - surprised he thinks he's got lots of choices? Just shows what little you get for £4.5k/week! 

A real goal-scorer is what we need. #COYR

Might as well play me or you if we are signing Baldock. 

1 minute ago, Srg said:

Might as well play me or you if we are signing Baldock. 

According to Reading fans he's best in a two. But the way we are he's better than no-one, and at least he got on the end of the 1 on 1 chance he fluffed. Got to make the most of things. #COYR

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Or Stretton?

Of course. I would play him before. I was just being facetious about the possibility of signing Baldock. No point signing a player who’s whole game was predicated on pace off the last defender when his legs have gone. 

On 06/08/2021 at 10:29, Ghost of Clough said:

Someone suggested yesterday Mel needs to prove he could fund the club for 12 months (in case the potential takeovers/investment falls through). If he does that the players can be registered.

That’s interesting, has a ring of truth about it. The accountants would only sign off on accounts if they believed there was 12 months working capital available. I think. Anyway, big deal, Mel would just say yes I reckon 

16 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Maybe to put off their strikers Marshall will be suspended, woven into the back of the net wearing nothing but a big red nose. He’s off the pitch, so not aware there’s a rule against it ?

Edited by kevinhectoring