Could we defy the odds next season.

Boycie

Will we get into the play off, even with 12 points deduction.  

233 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The team in its current form wouldn't  make the league 1 playoffs let alone the championship ones. The club is currently without a fully fit recognised centre back and has one 35 year old senior forward who is inconsistent at best. Added to that the only place we're not really without depth is arguably the goalkeeper positions (maybe fullback too) with everywhere else needing bodies in for either extra depth, quality, or both. Major rebuilds don't have to cost big money to be successful but our recruiting over the past few years has been unimaginative and let's be honest pretty crap. 

If we had no restrictions on who we could bring in and maybe you could have a case to be hopeful for a successful season even if it was looking very unlikely but we're in the midst of a potential takeover and still have to refile our accounts to break the embargo. Given all of this is happening with 5 weeks to go before the start of the season then I think any hope of the playoffs needs to be put in the bin. If we survive this season (depending who we bring in) we'll be doing well i think but I think unless something changes drastically we're heading for the drop.

Edited by Leeds Ram

How many predicted Barnsley's form last season? Noone. A smattering of new players that click and we could be a very different team. Also I like to think that support outside the ground got us over the line last season. Us being back at the ground (hopefully) could make a huge difference. However, that will only be if we get behind the team like the fans did on the last day. My concern is that the total frustration with matters off the pitch and how in lockdown venting online on here and other internet platforms will filter through into the ground and to the players.  With us relying on so many younger players, this season more than any, I feel we could make a positive (or negative) difference.  I am not a happy clapper thinking all will be fine this season and that we are not in deep ?off the pitch but as the final day showed we really need to get behind whatever team and manager we have like never before whatever our thoughts

29 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Did anyone else read the headline of this thread and say to themselves "By Staying Up"?

Yeah, I can't ever remember being less optimistic about a season. 

Even under Clough after a couple of years I thought eventually he might let the players off the leash. 

Even first season back down I thought we might bounce back with a point to prove since we accepted relegation so early. Jewell even said something about being ready for the Championship and players playing for their places. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Even under Clough after a couple of years I thought eventually he might let the players off the leash. 

Even first season back down I thought we might bounce back with a point to prove since we accepted relegation so early. Jewell even said something about being ready for the Championship and players playing for their places. 

Two genuine aims without a takeover:

1) Stay up

2) Stay up by more than 12 points.

52 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Playoff should always be target, although probably won’t happen, achieving playoffs with a 12 point deduction Is pure fantasy- would have to get 85 points ish 

Surely automatic promotion should be the target, in archery you don’t aim for the outer circle 

With or without a points deduction, we would do seriously well to stay up. We managed it by a point (and a number of goals) last year despite no points deduction and most certainly go into this season in a much worse and unprepared state. 

I guess it allows us to focus the mind, but we just need to make sure we're the 4th worst team in the league at the very worst. If we get a points deduction, depending on the severity, we may as well focus our attempts to disrupt the EFL as much as possible. 

1 hour ago, Foreveram said:

Surely automatic promotion should be the target, in archery you don’t aim for the outer circle 

True, in fact, cup success and 1st in the league should be the ultimate target every season. No weakened teams, go for the cups, go for promotion. Realistically, I think playoffs is a good target to have as long as there as some new recruits. The squad needs to be bigger than last season’s and that seems like a huge task in itself. 

4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Even with my Eeyore outlook I'm not particularly relishing next season as already it appears it's going to be a massive poo fight points deductions or not.

Playing squad down to bare bones, Rooney gets another free hit as no other manager (allegedly) would be able to get anything more from the group of players he has at his disposal, takeover seems like a mirage.

Will still be going to watch us against County away on the 1st August least can have some beers in the Navigation beforehand then things seems slightly better. 

30 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Even with my Eeyore outlook I'm not particularly relishing next season as already it appears it's going to be a massive poo fight points deductions or not.

Playing squad down to bare bones, Rooney gets another free hit as no other manager (allegedly) would be able to get anything more from the group of players he has at his disposal, takeover seems like a mirage.

Will still be going to watch us against County away on the 1st August least can have some beers in the Navigation beforehand then things seems slightly better. 

Just going to the big preseason game then,glory hunter