National Anthems

Chester40

On 17/06/2021 at 13:09, Van der MoodHoover said:

Isn't the anniversary of culloden an annual thing? It was in 1746 so is the fact that it's 275 years especially noteworthy? 

I may as well have a massive portion of chips to commemorate the 176th anniversary of the Irish potato famine which brought the O'MoodHoovers to these shores... ?

The O'uttoxrams75 are here for the same reason, enjoy your chips my fellow refugee.?

13 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

The only thing I like about France is their national anthem.  

You haven't heard French ladies speaking English? I struggle to keep my clothes on with such a company.

Just kidding, I've never managed to keep my clothes on in such occasion.

Edited by Dimmu

On 18/06/2021 at 14:32, BucksRam said:

Part of the problem is that England has never been, nor currently operates as a semi-autonomous region, and so isn't deemed an independent country but is "just" part of the UK. Whereas the other UK nations, albeit still not officially classed a semi-autonomous (I believe - someone may correct me) historically they've seen themselves as independent nations, with their own language hence why they tend to have their own national anthems, whereas England adopts the UK national anthem. 

It's another reason why historically other nations have tended to celebrate their Saints Days far more than the English and it's probably only over the last decade or so that more people are starting to acknowledge St George's Day (23rd April); previously there was a real reluctance to celebrate St George whereas pubs used to go all out on St Patrick's day. My local village now hangs out England flags all down the high street each year which is great.   

On a personal level, I consider myself English and would prefer Jerusalem where England are being represented.  If it's an event where its GB then GSTQ or Land of Hope and Glory...or, potentially contentious, Rule Britannia! But that one is now being deemed non-PC due to our history and the fact it references expanding our empire.  But in saying that, Flower of Scotland's lyrics reference Robert the Bruce's victory over Edward II’s English army in the Battle of Bannockburn, and is really therefore specifically anti-English.  You could argue that too isn't politically correct. 

Great post. So is it english? British? European was always going to be a big ask...

On 18/06/2021 at 14:56, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

As a proud Englishman GSTQ has always got my goat as this is a Great Britain/ UK anthem. 
I strongly believe that we should have our own anthem/identity just as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland do. 
Jerusalem has always been one that stirs me up and would be my favoured option.  

Northern Ireland's anthem is also GSTQ. 

GSTQ is rousing, but then (I'm biased) it's my national anthem. Totally agree that England should have our own and GSTQ used only for the UK.

Jerusalem is the obvious choice, my only question would be the Christian connection to it (Jerusalem is holy to Muslims and the Jewish faith point to note). Our anthem has to be all inclusive.

As for other nations, I like Russia's... But take a look at my avatar ?

56 minutes ago, BriggRam said:

God save the Queen should always be the national anthem and only changed to God save the King when she passes 

And it always will be the national anthem of the United Kingdom. But I think it’s valid that each of the individual countries, when competing individually, should have their own. 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

And it always will be the national anthem of the United Kingdom. But I think it’s valid that each of the individual countries, when competing individually, should have their own. 

And this is ours

2 hours ago, BriggRam said:

And this is ours

No, it’s not and never has been. It’s the national anthem of the United Kingdom. Not the national anthem of England. 

which is fine, I’m British snd happy to sing it. Just wish we were allowed our own identity like the other home nations. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Why not commission a brand new anthem written for the times rather than trying to adapt a piece written when people wore powdered wigs? 

We have plenty of classical composers in this country. 

Like Eurovision sort of thing?  Nah some things need to stay traditional

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Like Eurovision sort of thing?  Nah some things need to stay traditional

Traditions need to start somewhere! 

And no, not like Eurovision. Get Simon Rattle and co on the case and let's have a nice patriotic orchestral piece which is more caffeine than Horlicks.