National Anthems

Chester40

43 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

Or Uruguay, the longist in the world. Like a night at the Opera

http://www.nationalanthems.info/uy.htm.

I was in Uruguay once on business and whilst strolling down la rambla in Montevideo we ran into an election rally. 

The candidate took the stage, did a brief speech in which he set out his platform (cambiomesnes, or change) and then everyone stood to attention while the anthem was played. 

It went on longer than the speech! 

I'd never been so nonplussed. Until 3 days later when as an evening night out I was treated to the history of Argentina told through the medium of tango..... ?

36 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Flower of Scotland, love it. If you were a martian landed on eart, heard it, watch the passionate crowd singing it, you could think, this team  are about to rule the world. And then reality sets in.

Really? I'd junk it for Scotland the Brave in a heartbeat. Well, Scotland the brave or this I suppose:

It annoys me that England don’t have our own national anthem. 

Scotland and Wales have their own, and I don’t begrudge them that, but GSTQ is the British national anthem, so we don’t have our own. 

I could also imagine Scots not wanting to sing along to it when representing Britain, as it is seen as the English national anthem (not to mention that one of the versus talks about keeping the Scots in their box). 

So I think we could do with either a British anthem that the whole of Britain can get behind, or an English anthem that is all ours. 

it’s suggested time and time again, but Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, or Jerusalem would all get my blood pumping a lot more than god save the queen. 

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I note not one Spanish player sang their national anthem. Disgraceful. 

Footballers really are terrible singers though. It’s funny hearing how wildly out of tune they are when the camera gets close. 

10 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I always quite enjoy a blast of la marseillaise.... ?

While we hold off from adopting 'I vow to thee my Country' it's the best national anthem.

Sorry, it just is. 

Like we have the best flag.

(Light touch paper ... and stand well back)

8 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It annoys me that England don’t have our own national anthem. 

Scotland and Wales have their own, and I don’t begrudge them that, but GSTQ is the British national anthem, so we don’t have our own. 

I could also imagine Scots not wanting to sing along to it when representing Britain, as it is seen as the English national anthem (not to mention that one of the versus talks about keeping the Scots in their box). 

So I think we could do with either a British anthem that the whole of Britain can get behind, or an English anthem that is all ours. 

it’s suggested time and time again, but Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, or Jerusalem would all get my blood pumping a lot more than god save the queen. 

They use 'Jerusalem' as the English national anthem at the Commonwealth Games. They used to use 'Land of Hope and Glory' but changed it after a public vote in 2010.

I'd prefer 'Land of Hope and Glory' to GSTQ as the UK national anthem 

16 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

They use 'Jerusalem' as the English national anthem at the Commonwealth Games. They used to use 'Land of Hope and Glory' but changed it after a public vote in 2010.

I'd prefer 'Land of Hope and Glory' to GSTQ as the UK national anthem 

"We hate Nottingham Forest,

We hate Arsenal too,

We hate Man United,

But Derby we love you"

I think the whole nation can get behind that one.

I have to say I really like ours, It always gets the hairs on the back of my neck but I wouldn’t be against changing It to something like land of hope and glory. 

but the best ones are without doubt France, Italy and Wales, actually, when Italy play wales in a week the anthems will be better than the game.!