National Anthems

Chester40

1 hour ago, Olton Ram said:

They use 'Jerusalem' as the English national anthem at the Commonwealth Games. They used to use 'Land of Hope and Glory' but changed it after a public vote in 2010.

I'd prefer 'Land of Hope and Glory' to GSTQ as the UK national anthem 

Jerusalem could have 'interesting' connotations. When I was at school, many many ago, my schoolmate was doing A-level English. He told me that the English teacher gave them an interesting slant on it. Reckoned that Blake had an incestuous relationship with his sister.

"Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear: o clouds unfold!"

Maybe he was just fantasizing but he wasn't that sort of bloke. Make you wonder though.

10 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It annoys me that England don’t have our own national anthem. 

Scotland and Wales have their own, and I don’t begrudge them that, but GSTQ is the British national anthem, so we don’t have our own. 

I could also imagine Scots not wanting to sing along to it when representing Britain, as it is seen as the English national anthem (not to mention that one of the versus talks about keeping the Scots in their box). 

So I think we could do with either a British anthem that the whole of Britain can get behind, or an English anthem that is all ours. 

it’s suggested time and time again, but Rule Britannia, Land of Hope and Glory, or Jerusalem would all get my blood pumping a lot more than god save the queen. 

Verse 6

Lord grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush
God save the King

19 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Earlier this year my beloved said "it's the anniversery of Culloden"

"'Mon General Wade!" was the wrong answer.....

And against Croatia I was accused of "Still having a place for england in my heart"

Isn't the anniversary of culloden an annual thing? It was in 1746 so is the fact that it's 275 years especially noteworthy? 

I may as well have a massive portion of chips to commemorate the 176th anniversary of the Irish potato famine which brought the O'MoodHoovers to these shores... ?

22 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Earlier this year my beloved said "it's the anniversery of Culloden"

"'Mon General Wade!" was the wrong answer.....

And against Croatia I was accused of "Still having a place for england in my heart"

The Scottish remind me of Burton fans. They want there to be this massive rivalry, but personally I have nothing but live for the home nations. Obviously I hope we smash Scotland tomorrow, but apart from that, I wish Scotland well.  

They’re like England’s little brother, like burton are Derby’s.

Part of the problem is that England has never been, nor currently operates as a semi-autonomous region, and so isn't deemed an independent country but is "just" part of the UK. Whereas the other UK nations, albeit still not officially classed a semi-autonomous (I believe - someone may correct me) historically they've seen themselves as independent nations, with their own language hence why they tend to have their own national anthems, whereas England adopts the UK national anthem. 

It's another reason why historically other nations have tended to celebrate their Saints Days far more than the English and it's probably only over the last decade or so that more people are starting to acknowledge St George's Day (23rd April); previously there was a real reluctance to celebrate St George whereas pubs used to go all out on St Patrick's day. My local village now hangs out England flags all down the high street each year which is great.   

On a personal level, I consider myself English and would prefer Jerusalem where England are being represented.  If it's an event where its GB then GSTQ or Land of Hope and Glory...or, potentially contentious, Rule Britannia! But that one is now being deemed non-PC due to our history and the fact it references expanding our empire.  But in saying that, Flower of Scotland's lyrics reference Robert the Bruce's victory over Edward II’s English army in the Battle of Bannockburn, and is really therefore specifically anti-English.  You could argue that too isn't politically correct. 

As a proud Englishman GSTQ has always got my goat as this is a Great Britain/ UK anthem. 
I strongly believe that we should have our own anthem/identity just as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland do. 
Jerusalem has always been one that stirs me up and would be my favoured option.