Academy Thread 21/22

Shadowplay

15 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Derbyshire Telegraph reporting we should be entitled to compensation for Archie Brown but I doubt it will be much.

Anybody got any idea how much the compensation might be and how it’s calculated? (I think there’s a formula for working it out, but may be wrong).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/3711.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwicp4Pt9aPxAhUIExQKHSMsAQwQFjABegQIHRAG&usg=AOvVaw1GlsonG0zW1kusdO8FO2d_

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://resources.fifa.com/image/upload/1673-regulations-on-the-status-and-transfer-of-players-categorisation-of-clubs-r.pdf%3Fcloudid%3Dqcbskojvmdcvhcysjzfl&ved=2ahUKEwicp4Pt9aPxAhUIExQKHSMsAQwQFjAMegQIFRAC&usg=AOvVaw2xpOfpUmr-XOLtRy-t7PPX

13 minutes ago, Stuniverse said:

Derbyshire Telegraph reporting we should be entitled to compensation for Archie Brown but I doubt it will be much.

Anybody got any idea how much the compensation might be and how it’s calculated? (I think there’s a formula for working it out, but may be wrong).

I think it's 270,000 euros fixed fee if the move is abroad.

On 15/06/2021 at 07:25, Ghost of Clough said:

Moulden had an interesting season. 
In January, he played for Villa.
In February, he played for us.
He then played 3 games for Man City (for the first he came on as a sub)
In March, he played for Wolves.

And Louis Moulden has just left Man City to sign for Wolves so his March destination is where he got off the trialist train.

3 hours ago, David said:

That picture looks odd to me. New signing announcement with a player wearing a plain white Oxford shirt, don’t see that very often.

Usually rocking some Givenchy or Palm Angels get up 

Looks like a promo shot for The Apprentice.

I believe he would have had a run in the team if he had decided on staying on the wing rather than dropping back to LB when stepping up to the U23s.

Saying that... there will be an opening at LB very soon with Fozzy in the final year of his deal and if Buchanan continues to improve. If he can't get assurances of first team opportunities in those circumstances I'm not surprised he's off elsewhere. 

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I believe he would have had a run in the team if he had decided on staying on the wing rather than dropping back to LB when stepping up to the U23s.

Saying that... there will be an opening at LB very soon with Fozzy in the final year of his deal and if Buchanan continues to improve. If he can't get assurances of first team opportunities in those circumstances I'm not surprised he's off elsewhere. 

If we offered him a deal that shows we had some belief? How could he think he'd get in front of Buchanan and Fozzy this season? He could well believe in himself, but then so did Bobby Duncan. A good move for him I reckon as he thinks he's ready and good enough.

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If we offered him a deal that shows we had some belief? How could he think he'd get in front of Buchanan and Fozzy this season? He could well believe in himself, but then so did Bobby Duncan. A good move for him I reckon as he thinks he's ready and good enough.

According to that article he feels he's now needs first team football, but 'someone' at the club doesn't think he's ready to step up.
I have no doubt that Wassall would have offered him a contract, but he can't offer assurances of first team football.

I'm struggling to see Forsyth cope with another season of Championship football - he was rather poor in the run in last season. If I was manager, Archie would have had an opportunity in the cups to force his way in the team, and I'd gradually increase his involvement as the season progressed.

32 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I'm struggling to see Forsyth cope with another season of Championship football - he was rather poor in the run in last season. If I was manager, Archie would have had an opportunity in the cups to force his way in the team, and I'd gradually increase his involvement as the season progressed.

But that is assuming that Buchanan won't just keep the shirt the whole season. Fozzy as back up.

From what we saw of Brown at fullback last season I don't think he stood out that much. 

Edit: afterall it's not like youngsters aren't getting chances, ie McDonald and Festy.

Edited by RoyMac5

If I’m being honest I felt Archie looked a better left back than McDonald did a right back. 

That said, that doesn’t mean he was ready for 1st team football….

Id imagine a loan would’ve suited all parties best but tbh league 1 and 2 clubs aren’t always in a good position to take a young kid who have zero EFL experience under their belts and who without a doubt despite undoubted technical ability would find the rigours of league 1/2 tough going and may not end up playing that regular.

A move abroad for senior experience in what will undoubtedly be a more technically based game than our lower leagues is a good move for now.

The thing with Archie Brown and left-(wing)-back, is that it wasn’t just about him getting into the first-team reckoning to challenge Lee Buchanan and Craig Forsyth, but also about staying ahead of the younger players coming through from the U18s. Will Grewal-Pollard will be in the U23s next season and first-year scholar Dylan Williams got more playing time at LB/LWB for the U23s, with Grewal-Pollard playing CB, than Archie Brown did during the run-in.

Also, in a season when a record number of U23s/U18s got allocated squad numbers and featured in first-team match day squads, Brown was never included in any.

All in all, I can see why he may have felt that his chance might not come at Derby County, especially when players who were released like Cresswell, Mitchell-Lawson etc. we’re getting first-team playing time, albeit limited, and he wasn’t.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I agree with that too. Defensively he looked naive at times, going forward he was quite impressive for the U23s. Certainly looked more ready to stepping up as a winger than he did as a defender.

Edited by Stuniverse