Martyn Waghorn - gone to Coventry City

Heisenberg

I think Waghorn was like Lawrence, an enigma. We never knew where to play him...like Marriott I guess. Was he a Winger....no....was he a Centre Forward...hmmmm...not really either. He'll score goals though....but I think his average is about 10-12 a season. Either we couldn't match his wages or Rooney didn't rate him. No sign of Wisdom though...not training with us - unlike Curtis...

Sorry much as he deserves credit for playing his part in saving us on the final day of last season he’s done little else IMO. He’s past his best, will be another year older next season and is on the way down career wise. Harsh but the Club comes first, there will be younger, better & cheaper out there so I’m not fussed that he’s gone. 

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

I think Waghorn was like Lawrence, an enigma. We never knew where to play him...like Marriott I guess. Was he a Winger....no....was he a Centre Forward...hmmmm...not really either. He'll score goals though....but I think his average is about 10-12 a season. Either we couldn't match his wages or Rooney didn't rate him. No sign of Wisdom though...not training with us - unlike Curtis...

I wouldn’t call Martyn Waghorn an enigma! He was at his best for Ipswich when he was a number 9! I remember when he was at Pride Park and he bullied our defence! He was the star man for that team! 

He strikes me as being a player that need an arm around him, something that I think Rooney struggles with! 

1 hour ago, Terry Hennessy said:

Should have been the number 9 but he could never cement the place under lamps and Martin was preferred over him during his last season with us.

He will do well for Coventry.

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

3 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Coventry, stable. They haven’t even been playing at their own ground. Don’t think so…

The club don't even own their own ground. Ooh, wait a minute.....

They will however be playing at the Ricoh Arena next season.

Would have been more than happy to have him around in the squad as an experienced head who can play more than one role albeit none of them outstandingly. Established player on good wages though so we have to be mindful that anyone paid what Waggy would want needs to be fundamental to the team for next season and be one of the first names on the starting 11 teamsheet. I'm not sure he's quite that. Losing him definitely weakens us but it all depends on whether there is anyone incoming I guess.

27 minutes ago, Alty_Ram said:

Would have been more than happy to have him around in the squad as an experienced head who can play more than one role albeit none of them outstandingly. Established player on good wages though so we have to be mindful that anyone paid what Waggy would want needs to be fundamental to the team for next season and be one of the first names on the starting 11 teamsheet. I'm not sure he's quite that. Losing him definitely weakens us but it all depends on whether there is anyone incoming I guess.

I agree, but the fact is we've had too many players in over the last few years who we've paid zillions for - but have never cut the mustard and left for nothing. IMO we have to follow the path that Wolves and Watford took....having a nucleus of a team and getting in loans (as we successfully did with Mount, Tomori and Wilson). If Rooney doesnt have contacts then nobody does.

2 hours ago, Gisby said:

Sorry much as he deserves credit for playing his part in saving us on the final day of last season he’s done little else IMO. He’s past his best, will be another year older next season and is on the way down career wise. Harsh but the Club comes first, there will be younger, better & cheaper out there so I’m not fussed that he’s gone. 

I agree... but how much faith do you have in our scouting team to find them?! 

4 hours ago, Ramslad1992 said:

I agree... but how much faith do you have in our scouting team to find them?! 

Not much but Wayne’s well connected don’t you know ? …. in Wayne I trust!!! ?