MoodHoovers Miekle Moments

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

We're given a standard list of commands John and we're starting with the asterisk ones. It's supposed also to be mixed with positive reinforcement so rather than just say "off" you say the word, encourage him with a "what's this?" to distract him and give him a "yes Meikle" with a bit of kibble if he complies. 

He's now able to take himself off to his loo area, pee or poo and then reappears and sits waiting for a bit of kibble..... 

This is the list if it's come out OK... 

IMG_20210612_162116.jpg

That’s a comprehensive list,I think I might fail a lot of those.

3 minutes ago, Coneheadjohn said:

That’s a comprehensive list,I think I might fail a lot of those.

We also get weekly visits John from a very stern woman who's got a mouth pursed like a cats bum and who only dispenses criticism. 

We're on the naughty step as Meikle chewed her home made treat hunting cushion. Which was definitely not to be chewed. At all. ?

11 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Some more pics from our trip..... He helped me choose shoes, pooed on the floor in menswear and was a huge hit with the staff. 

Big shout out to John Lewis who actually allow all dogs in their stores. 

IMG-20210615-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210615-WA0004.jpg

Love the pooing on the floor!!

50 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Love the pooing on the floor!!

Mrs VdM bought, to much scorn from yours truly, something called a "dinky bag" which is basically a deodorant lined soft zipped up small holdall that can fit a poo bag in. 

"what are we going to need that for" was my reaction. Especially as it cost 25 quid. 

Well, I got my answer. The pup had already done 3 poos so I thought that we were safe! 

Mrs VdM bought, to much scorn from yours truly, something called a "dinky bag" which is basically a deodorant lined soft zipped up small holdall that can fit a poo bag in. 

"what are we going to need that for" was my reaction. Especially as it cost 25 quid. 

Well, I got my answer. The pup had already done 3 poos so I thought that we were safe! 

So funny. So did Meikle have that innocent puppy face or a look of shame?

16 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

So funny. So did Meikle have that innocent puppy face or a look of shame?

He was, remarkably, unfazed. He then proceeded to play with an assistant who appeared to distract him while I got to work with my dinky bag. 

It's remarkable how the bag suddenly became "my" bag, once it was filled ?

I held a friend's 'off duty' guide dog whilst he went into a shop today. 

Nix (the dog) has not yet had his full training and is a VERY powerful young labrador.

When master reappeared Nix leapt up on his hind legs and landed about six foot forward taking me with him.

Later we met a golden retriever in training.

Nix tried his party trick again but this time we had tied his harness to a bench.

Good job it was bolted down!

I'll say no more, said too much already!

35 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

I held a friend's 'off duty' guide dog whilst he went into a shop today. 

Nix (the dog) has not yet had his full training and is a VERY powerful young labrador.

When master reappeared Nix leapt up on his hind legs and landed about six foot forward taking me with him.

Later we met a golden retriever in training.

Nix tried his party trick again but this time we had tied his harness to a bench.

Good job it was bolted down!

I'll say no more, said too much already!

They grow like the clappers. 

Meikle hasn't done much new this week but he's teething so nibbling everything in sight. 

Here's a recent pic so folk can get a sense of the growth.... 

IMG_20210616_074632.jpg

The news this week is some concern with the development of Meikles hips and that his cartilege may not be developing. 

He is kind of sashaying when he walks by swinging his spine, possibly because his hips are painful. So a vets appointment is imminent with perhaps massage therapy to follow. If it doesn't correct then the little tyke will fail and drop out of the training program and be put up for adoption ie sale. 

This has sadly led to him being withdrawn from the charity video shoot next week, the charity thinking that nothing less than 100% physical perfection will do.

We think that it might be a growth spurt. He's physically changing quite quickly. Here's this mornings portrait. I think he's a handsome little guy and we'll do whatever we can to make sure he's OK. 

IMG_20210625_064944.jpg

54 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

The news this week is some concern with the development of Meikles hips and that his cartilege may not be developing. 

He is kind of sashaying when he walks by swinging his spine, possibly because his hips are painful. So a vets appointment is imminent with perhaps massage therapy to follow. If it doesn't correct then the little tyke will fail and drop out of the training program and be put up for adoption ie sale. 

This has sadly led to him being withdrawn from the charity video shoot next week, the charity thinking that nothing less than 100% physical perfection will do.

We think that it might be a growth spurt. He's physically changing quite quickly. Here's this mornings portrait. I think he's a handsome little guy and we'll do whatever we can to make sure he's OK. 

IMG_20210625_064944.jpg

That is a shame and hope hes not too uncomfortable. You may be right about growth spurt. As long as he wasnt in pain would a slightly odd gait mean he couldnt do the job or is it more that they avoid dogs that could cost the charity vets bills?

IMG_20210625_064944.jpg

I’ll have him. I’ll give up my day job to make his life happy. 

2 hours ago, CBRammette said:

That is a shame and hope hes not too uncomfortable. You may be right about growth spurt. As long as he wasnt in pain would a slightly odd gait mean he couldnt do the job or is it more that they avoid dogs that could cost the charity vets bills?

Probably it's that he could not do all the things that the charity want an assistance dog to do. They breed them deliberately to be tall and robust as well as having a good temperament. 

But we're not there yet so lessons are being learned not to over exercise him just because it's convenient for us to tire him out so that he sleeps through the night. 

59 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I’ll have him. I’ll give up my day job to make his life happy. 

That's very decent of you. Our only concern is his welfare of course. The main concern for us is our existing dog. If they have to be kept separate to avoid boisterous play while he is growing, then that will not be practical and we would, I suspect, have to ask for him to be rehoused. 

We went through this at great length when we applied and everyone assured there was no issue. But there might be.