MoodHoovers Miekle Moments

So, on other threads I've introduced the fact that we are fostering an assistance puppy. 

His name is Miekle (not chosen by us) and he's a 9 week old handful. 

I just thought that I would set up a little thread to give periodic updates on his progress. 

It avoids messing up other threads and was a suggestion from @CBRammette and @Anag Ram so thank you both.

Here's a snap from playtime right now. 

IMG_20210508_214922.jpg

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So, on other threads I've introduced the fact that we are fostering an assistance puppy. 

His name is Miekle (not chosen by us) and he's a 9 week old handful. 

I just thought that I would set up a little thread to give periodic updates on his progress. 

It avoids messing up other threads and was a suggestion from @CBRammette and @Anag Ram so thank you both.

Here's a snap from playtime right now. 

IMG_20210508_214922.jpg

He is a little beauty.

14 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

After today I think Miekle is our lucky mascot. Our luck changed with his first appearance. What dogs charity is it for? Please keep us up to date on his progress

The charity is called Canine Partners. I'm thrilled that today worked out. 

It's like being a new dad almost....up at 4am and here I am trying to settle him down at 10.30.

But I wouldn't want it any other way.... 

The hard part I'm sure will be next May when he has to move on... 

30 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It's like being a new dad almost....up at 4am and here I am trying to settle him down at 10.30.

yes but just think what a difference he will make for someone and you can train another

29 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

So you get given a puppy to train for a year into being an assistance dog, then give him to someone in need?

Fair play, not sure I could do that, the goodbye part would crush me having seen it grow.

3 minutes ago, David said:

So you get given a puppy to train for a year into being an assistance dog, then give him to someone in need?

Fair play, not sure I could do that, the goodbye part would crush me having seen it grow.

We do year 1 of 2 training. The investment in these pups is very significant. 

But exactly as you say David, we haven't had to give him up yet. 

What I don't know is how likely he is to make it through. 

If they don't make it through then I believe that the pup is offered for permanent rehousing. 

I think it's a good thing to do and we're very happy to support it....as long as little miekle gets a good quality of life out of it. 

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

There’s something about black labs as well. This is Arlo, my sister’s dog.

DE259998-577E-4ECB-BA92-82108525B4EA.thumb.jpeg.6b7eb1fab0534eb94a8bfb4ad80a60a0.jpegA3799CDD-DF61-448D-B03D-06B7DCE5E93F.thumb.jpeg.1684e9612afe730c28018138bf7ceca1.jpeg

Reckon they're more intelligent? 

Miekle came from a litter in Gloucestershire. Parents were ex assistance dogs owned by the charity. 

Essentially a selective breeding programme. 

But most of miekles siblings are black, so I assume some connection.. 

14 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Bit of a disaster yesterday....a slip on the lawn led to miekle faceplanting a newly laid pooh. 

Cue flapping and an emergency first bath. We've therefore discovered that he doesn't enjoy baths..... 

IMG_20210509_104057.jpg

Butter wouldnt melt. They will always find the poo. Fox and goose worst! Loving the spiky look though

Today was 2nd inoculation day so he's been a little subdued but coming back round. 

Growing quickly at around 1kg per week. Toilet training is a bit hit and miss and the 5am starts are a bit of a trial. 

He's been to a local factory and has a trip lined up at the local primary school. All good ?

IMG_20210517_203439.jpg