Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 hours ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

His loyalty to DCFC, his permanent signings for DCFC were woeful except Shinnie (whom he never managed) 

Lets not be fooled, the football during the period when Mason Mount was unavailable was dreadful. 
We achieved what we did under him due to the loan signings and nothing else.

He was in my opinion the beginning of the whole mess we find ourselves in, poor signings and sheer poor management. The only good thing from that era was Jody Morris, he is the brains in the outfit and carried himself with dignity whereas FL left us hanging before dropping us right in the ?

He was always going to go to Chelsea if opportunity came. Would be surprising if he hadn’t have taken that job. He made those loan signings so what you said seems to be hypocritical. 
The management can’t have been that poor as Derby reached the playoffs. Also, the comment about Jody Morris.... was he the brains? I guess it was a combination of the two that helped us achieve playoffs. 
The mess we find ourselves in isn’t to do with Lampard ... it’s to do with Mel Morris and Stephen Pearce and has been accelerated due to COVID. 

54 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

He was always going to go to Chelsea if opportunity came. Would be surprising if he hadn’t have taken that job. He made those loan signings so what you said seems to be hypocritical. 
The management can’t have been that poor as Derby reached the playoffs. Also, the comment about Jody Morris.... was he the brains? I guess it was a combination of the two that helped us achieve playoffs. 
The mess we find ourselves in isn’t to do with Lampard ... it’s to do with Mel Morris and Stephen Pearce and has been accelerated due to COVID. 

Frank Lampard knew about Mount, Tomori and Wilson did he????

Jody Morris had worked with 2 of the three and nurtured them during his time at Chelsea and I believe would have identified Wilson as a preferred choice during his time working in his capacity at Chelsea too.

The signings made by Lampard (other than Shinnie) have been a success have they?? Really??? I don’t think so, we lost a lot of money on his signings so I stand by my assessment. 

Hypocritical??? Really??

Mel Morris etc etc I agree but Lampard signed players on a permanent basis that added nothing but loses to our club, which puts us further in the ? IMHO

Edited by Ted McMinn Football Genius

5 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Frank Lampard new about Mount, Tomori and Wilson did he????

Jody Morris had worked with 2 of the three and nurtured them during his time at Chelsea and I believe would have identified Wilson as a preferred choice too.

The signings made by Lampard (other than Shinnie) have been a success have they?? Really??? I don’t think so, we lost a lot of money on his signings so I stand by my assessment. 

Hypocritical??? Really??

Well Lampard worked a lot with Mount (extra sessions or one to one) didn’t he according to Mount’s father and yes of course Lampard would know about Mount - he knew all about the Chelsea youth team and the others. He also brought in Ashley Cole who was good for us. If Lampard was not manager, I doubt Derby would have signed Mount and probably not Tomori and Wilson too. 
You can’t just judge how much you think Morris did compared to Lampard based on what really? 
They seemed to work well together and I liked having Lampard and Morris at Derby. But of course they would choose Chelsea over Derby. Pretty obvious 

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Well Lampard worked a lot with Mount (extra sessions or one to one) didn’t he according to Mount’s father and yes of course Lampard would know about Mount - he knew all about the Chelsea youth team and the others. He also brought in Ashley Cole who was good for us. If Lampard was not manager, I doubt Derby would have signed Mount and probably not Tomori and Wilson too. 
You can’t just judge how much you think Morris did compared to Lampard based on what really? 
They seemed to work well together and I liked having Lampard and Morris at Derby. But of course they would choose Chelsea over Derby. Pretty obvious 

Opinions, right or wrong are just that.

I don’t nor didn’t  have an issue with FL choosing Chelsea, it was the drawn out process which left us with little or no time to prepare for the coming season. Thus why I don’t want him near this club again but like I’ve said opinions are just that. 

On 16/12/2021 at 11:51, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Hypocritical??? Really??

Mel Morris etc etc I agree but Lampard signed players on a permanent basis that added nothing but loses to our club, which puts us further in the ?

I don’t think it’s fair to say Lampard’s signings were a failure. The likes of Marriott, Waghorn, Holmes and Malone all had decent seasons under Lampard. They were poor after he left. You sign players to suit your system and style. The problem was not getting a manger in with a similar philosophy after Lampard. That was Morris main mistake. Every time we lost a manager we appointed someone with a completely different style meaning the existing players didn’t fit in that style,  causing us to spend spend spend again. 

20 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Has he gone to Everton yet?

No.

He's still leading us through the most difficult and horrendous season of our club's existence with a dignified calmness and getting superb performances from our squad of old men and kids.

We'll still be singing, "He goes by the name of Wayne Rooney", loud and proud for a bit longer yet.,

?

Do I think Rooney is a tactical genius?

No, but he's learning and has improved over last year.

Do I think he's getting the best out of the players available?

Mostly yes. Sibley and Jozwiak are possible exceptions but there may be other reasons for that. All players appear very motivated despite the club's position.

Has Rooney had long enough to prove his credentials?

It's not the time so much as the circumstances. These are exceptional times and it's nigh on impossible to judge.

Could another manager do better with the club in its current plight?

Maybe. We will never know. Without a goalscorer and with a 21 point deduction, it's hard to see anyone doing "well enough" (also note what's happened to many people's oft touted candidates: Hughton, Cook and Jokanovic).

So what's so good about Rooney?

The way he has conducted himself throughout this whole sorry process. By all accounts his approach to the players and staff has been empathetic, considerate and thoughtful. He has surprised me with - for the want of a better word - his "class". He thoroughly deserves our support.

Let's judge his football management when (if) the club is ever stabilized. Once he has truly been able to assemble his squad and started playing his preferred tactics rather than those dictated to him by squad availability and the quest for survival.

Come on Derby. Come on Rooney ?

18 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Mostly yes. Sibley and Jozwiak are possible exceptions but there may be other reasons for that. All players appear very motivated despite the club's position.

It's not the time so much as the circumstances. These are exceptional times and it's nigh on impossible to judge.

Maybe. We will never know. Without a goalscorer and with a 21 point deduction, it's hard to see anyone doing "well enough" (also note what's happened to many people's oft touted candidates: Hughton, Cook and Jokanovic).

The way he has conducted himself throughout this whole sorry process. By all accounts his approach to the players and staff has been empathetic, considerate and thoughtful. He has surprised me with - for the want of a better word - his "class". He thoroughly deserves our support.

Let's judge his football management when (if) the club is ever stabilized. Once he has truly been able to assemble his squad and started playing his preferred tactics rather than those dictated to him by squad availability and the quest for survival.

agree with almost all of your well balanced post. You could add that his connections and status enable us to recruit better than we might hope in these dire circumstances.  As you say he is still learning his trade. We can still escape the drop but if we are to do that he needs to continue learning very fast 

18 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Agree with most of your post but not sure how on one hand one can say that Rooney is far from being a tactical genius but on the other then say he is generally getting the most out of the players he has. 

I think it's a safe bet that another manager could do better than Rooney but how much better is the imponderable and as you quite correctly say is impossible to definitely prove anyhows. 

I have been impressed by his professionalism during the whole crisis which does belie his years. 

10 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Agree with most of your post but not sure how on one hand one can say that Rooney is far from being a tactical genius but on the other then say he is generally getting the most out of the players he has. 

I think it's a safe bet that another manager could do better than Rooney but how much better is the imponderable and as you quite correctly say is impossible to definitely prove anyhows. 

I have been impressed by his professionalism during the whole crisis which does belie his years. 

Any particular manager? As we've seen plenty of 'fan favourites' that have recently failed at clubs with better 'resources' than at Derby.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Any particular manager? As we've seen plenty of 'fan favourites' that have recently failed at clubs with better 'resources' than at Derby.

How many managers are there in charge of clubs in the football pyramid then on top of that how many managers out of work.

So not one of those vast numbers just in the English League alone would be able to do a better job that Rooney. 

33 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

agree with almost all of your well balanced post. You could add that his connections and status enable us to recruit better than we might hope in these dire circumstances.  As you say he is still learning his trade. We can still escape the drop but if we are to do that he needs to continue learning very fast 

Or indeed that he is attracting potential buyers to the club. I'm sure his presence has a lot to do with the Kirchner bid and possibly with backers of the other bids.

32 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Yeah, fair point.

I meant in terms of motivating individuals.

Teamwise, I think he's having to keep things tight, simply because we lack firepower up front.

Even though that's true, given that we won't be able to add to the squad in January and we're effectively down anyway, I'd like Rooney to be more adventurous. Let's just go for it 

Let's play attacking, flowing football. We may be down but let's do it with a bit of entertainment.

(That's where I still think there's questions against Rooney - would he play a more attacking style even if we had a goalscorer?)

Edited by IslandExile

28 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Just read the comments from Wayne about Curtis (36 years old) and Jags (39) playing higher up the pitch. Just don’t get it. It has goal ‘from counter attack’ and ‘ forward running in behind’ written all over it.  Like Liverpool playing a high line without Virgil vD. Clean sheets is what we need if we are to perform this miracle and we can deliver them if we give our star defenders a chance 

1 minute ago, IslandExile said:

Yeah, fair point.

I meant in terms of motivating individuals.

Teamwise, I think he's having to keep things tight, simply because we lack firepower up front.

Even though that's true, given that we won't be able to add to the squad in January and we're effectively down anyway, I'd like Rooney to be more adventurous. Let's just go for it 

Let's play attacking, following football. We may be down but let's do it with a bit of entertainment.

(That's where I still think there's questions against Rooney - would he play a more attacking style even if we had a goalscorer?)

Yes agree that the tactics selected more often than not choose themselves with the players Rooney has at his disposal.

Though I did listen to a recent interview with Ralf Rangnick regards CR7 allegedly being unable to press and he said that the players you have at your disposal dictate your manner of play not the other way around. 

Think this is where Rooney trips up sometimes as without singling players out Roos is never going to be comfortable with the ball at his feet so just don't adopt this style of play.