Festival and Gig Tickets

Bob Mash

On 27/08/2024 at 08:46, Day said:

Hotel prices already rocketed surrounding Heaton Park, can't blame them I guess, but what scumbags at the same time. £400 a night for a room that is less than £90 usually 

Plenty who booked through...Booking.com had an email sent to them from hotels in Manchester saying there was a problem with their booking system and could they please cancel.

Some have cancelled only to try and rebook from what was £90 to a whopping £590  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c935v1kkzjvo

Edited by Ram-Alf

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

Plenty who booked through...Booking.com had an email sent to them from hotels in Manchester saying there was a problem with their booking system and could they please cancel.

Scum of the earth, I hope the owners rot in hell.

3 hours ago, Ram-Alf said:

Although the hotels are being 💩💩 I don't understand someone cancelling their booking, which is obviously booked, because of a problem with the booking system 🤔

1 hour ago, richinspain said:

Although the hotels are being 💩💩 I don't understand someone cancelling their booking, which is obviously booked, because of a problem with the booking system 🤔

It’s the hotels that have been cancelling on customers, saying they have overbooked basically, yet listing rooms at 3,4x the price after cancelling on pre paid customers.

Its scummy behaviour, yet if agents are not arsed, as they will get more commission at a guess, you can’t hate on it.

7 minutes ago, Day said:

It’s the hotels that have been cancelling on customers, saying they have overbooked basically, yet listing rooms at 3,4x the price after cancelling on pre paid customers.

Its scummy behaviour, yet if agents are not arsed, as they will get more commission at a guess, you can’t hate on it.

Trading standards might hate on it

On 27/08/2024 at 11:02, Stive Pesley said:

Ask yourself why Oasis seem so important right now, when they are 90s indie band who split up 15 years ago. How many new British bands have come on the scene since 2009 who could play big shows like this and generate the same level of economic activity? I'm struggling to think of any, and that should be a worry for anyone who cares about live music

They’re probably the flagship icon of that era of Cool Brittania which is the last time that life felt good for a lot of people hence the need to cling to them. 

Obviously the points you make about lack of up and coming bands has merit, I think there are a lot of excellent artists around now. Just in the next 6 months we’re seeing Courteeners, Blossoms, Dylan John Thomas and The Snuts. 
I look at these bands and think are any going to be sung along to by my kids? Are Courteeners so successful in terms of being able to play bigger venues because they’ve almost got cult status amongst a hardcore group of regulars? Will DJT kick on from the smaller venues he’s touring this year? 

10 hours ago, Day said:

One has been found out and clearly trying up reverse the cancellations in a PR move. If it was an innocent honest error, you wouldn’t be disabling replies.

It’s like that politician from little Britain 😂 we simply had an error which accidentally cancelled all previous bookings and then re listed them at 3 times the price. An honest mistake I’m sure we can all agree. 

22 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I'm hoping that too. Sadly in that twitter thread from the Music Venue Trust which noted how many of the venues Oasis played on their first tour have closed down, pretty much all the replies are from people either saying "oh I went to that gig" or arguing with the accuracy of the list. Very few seem to actually get the point it's making 

I also saw a scary few facts about the death of "the band" in general. So far in the 2020s UK Singles Chart, there has only been 3 weeks (out of 238 possible weeks)  at number one by a band. One of those was the Beatles and one was the Radio 1 Live Lounge All-stars (the other was Little Mix!). So essentially no actual current traditional band.

In the current Top 40 albums AND singles charts there isn't a single entry from a band that was formed in THIS CENTURY

Lots of reasons for all this, but there are a lot of parallels with football. Big money ruins grass roots, and greed will blinker the people making the money until its too late

I think the problem has been for a long time that everyone was on the make. 

When you look into the venues now being closed, a lot of bad tour managers fleeced a lot of bad promotors. In some cases, money made that should have been reinvested into older venues was essentially pocketed.

From what I’ve seen, bands ask for exceptional guarantees to cover their costs. In fairness there’s a lot of overheads within touring a band, but I think a lot of musicians have lost the art of the hustle in that the don’t go above and beyond to push merch/records. One approach I really admire is that if the band Pictish Trail, that they really put a lot of effort to get people into a venue and then once you are there will really go out of the way to get people to buy merchandise and records. I’ve seen them mop up with people spending £40-50 a time after the show, which of you are a band of 4 plus a merch person and a roadie is really bloody helpful. Not enough bands, in my opinion, work hard enough to get people into a room because they will all be paid on a guarantee.

The thing is, all costs then fall into you as a consumer. Going to gigs becomes too expensive and then everyone eventually loses interest, unless you can afford to maintain the hobby. So the same bands play in front of the same people and never seemingly grow. Happens at the smallest gigs and is happens in the bigger venues that are still running.

4 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Obviously the points you make about lack of up and coming bands has merit, I think there are a lot of excellent artists around now. Just in the next 6 months we’re seeing Courteeners, Blossoms, Dylan John Thomas and The Snuts. 
I look at these bands and think are any going to be sung along to by my kids? Are Courteeners so successful in terms of being able to play bigger venues because they’ve almost got cult status amongst a hardcore group of regulars? Will DJT kick on from the smaller venues he’s touring this year? 

Only DJT is a new artist though - the others have all been around for 10 years or more (I think?) and needless to say DJT is a solo artist not a band!

I think there is a fair amount of push from within the industry to concentrate on solo artists these days. If you have a band of 4 or 5 people, then that's 4 or 5 people due their cut before the labels, promoters, managers etc can get a cut. Also from an artist manipulation point of view it's much easier to get a solo artists to do what you want, as you only have to convince one person. If everyone else is a session musician, they just do as they are told

Off to see Ride in Newcastle next weekend. Superb live with a decent back catalogue. Been going longer than Oasis albeit did break up, and the guitarist Andy Bell was in Oasis up until they split. Saw New Order last weekend in Wythenshawe and they were superb. Tickets were @£67 with decent support including Jonny Marr. Oasis charging £148 for Heaton Park seems steep but people will pay it

5 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Get in! Pre sale or today? 

About 20 minutes ago! 😄

It's pot luck, luckily my Brother got in early(ish) doors and managed to get to the front and book tickets before it threw him out. Others not so lucky by the sounds of it. I couldn't get in at all to start, then when I did I was about 50,000 in the queue. Luckily he started at 4,000 and got the job done.

Edited by StaffsRam