Relegation watch

Spanish

It’s as much in our hands as it is for everyone else. Wycombe and Wednesday are all but down but if we beat Blackburn even they will start to get a sweat on. 

50 points is always touted as the safety mark and I think that’ll be the case this season with maybe 49 just about doing the job. This said if we can’t muster 6 points from our last 5 matches we deserve to go down. 

A draw would be ideal tonight but at this stage I think it’s what we do on the pitch more than what others do which will determine our fate.

Genuinely don’t really mind if we do go down, and that’s not even in a trying to convince myself it’s fine way.

We would have next to no baggage in the squad so would be an excellent opportunity to regroup with a young core and hopefully come back with momentum behind us. Of course, it could go wrong if we went down, but equally we could stay up this season, not invest and go down next season.

No one really knows so in my eyes, there really is no point worrying. Ultimately, it won’t be my job to fund the difference in income.

6 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

It’s as much in our hands as it is for everyone else. Wycombe and Wednesday are all but down but if we beat Blackburn even they will start to get a sweat on. 

50 points is always touted as the safety mark and I think that’ll be the case this season with maybe 49 just about doing the job. This said if we can’t muster 6 points from our last 5 matches we deserve to go down. 

A draw would be ideal tonight but at this stage I think it’s what we do on the pitch more than what others do which will determine our fate.

I think a 0-0 draw preferable as a point is lost...then who knows what is preferable....

1 minute ago, nottingram said:

Genuinely don’t really mind if we do go down, and that’s not even in a trying to convince myself it’s fine way.

We would have next to no baggage in the squad so would be an excellent opportunity to regroup with a young core and hopefully come back with momentum behind us. Of course, it could go wrong if we went down, but equally we could stay up this season, not invest and go down next season.

No one really knows so in my eyes, there really is no point worrying. Ultimately, it won’t be my job to fund the difference in income.

The trouble is we might get stuck down there. I am hoping we manage to stay up and then the takeover is a success and we are able to start moving upwards again...we can but dream...

11 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Academy in the third tier, not great given the expense

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

The trouble is we might get stuck down there. I am hoping we manage to stay up and then the takeover is a success and we are able to start moving upwards again...we can but dream...

Indeed we might, equally it might allow us to come back up with some momentum, with Sibley et al having had a storming year behind them.

Just like we could stop up this season, do a Reading and be right up there. Or we could be delaying the inevitable.

Ultimately it is not beyond the realms to see a situation whereby in two years time we say going down was the best thing that could’ve happened, which is why I don’t see much point worrying about it. It’s completely out of our control

Just now, nottingram said:

Indeed we might, equally it might allow us to come back up with some momentum, with Sibley et al having had a storming year behind them.

Just like we could stop up this season, do a Reading and be right up there. Or we could be delaying the inevitable.

Ultimately it is not beyond the realms to see a situation whereby in two years time we say going down was the best thing that could’ve happened, which is why I don’t see much point worrying about it. It’s completely out of our control

Sibley will go together with Knight etc.  Yep it will certainly clear the decks, all that will be left is the deck chairs.  This is poison we should have taken years ago and you are right it could have given us the spring board.

everybody relegated believes they are far too good to be troubled by lower league teams, over confidence IMO

3 minutes ago, nottingram said:

We are in such a mess on and off the pitch who knows what is for the best. My gut feeling is it would be best to stay up. Would the likes of Sibley, Knight and Buchanan stay with us and play in League 1? 

6 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Sibley will go together with Knight etc.  Yep it will certainly clear the decks, all that will be left is the deck chairs.  This is poison we should have taken years ago and you are right it could have given us the spring board.

everybody relegated believes they are far too good to be troubled by lower league teams, over confidence IMO

5 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

We are in such a mess on and off the pitch who knows what is for the best. My gut feeling is it would be best to stay up. Would the likes of Sibley, Knight and Buchanan stay with us and play in League 1? 

Maybe you are right and I am being naive but I do think Sibley’s stock will have fallen this year, and I think he was available for the right price last year and no one came in for him. 

Knight could go, but he may well go if we stay up too. There’s so many variables - takeover or no takeover, the manager, the players. That’s why I find it hard to worry one way or the other, it’s not like things certainly improve if we scrape a few points together now and stay up.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

I was wondering who would stay at the club in that scenario. Obviously, the out of contract players would leave, Lawrence, Jozwiak and Byrne as salable assets (and high wages) would be sold. Marriott would be shipped out based on his wages. Maybe Marshall to save a bit more on wages. But the rest? Guess it depends what our asking price for those 3 (and Bird) would be, and whether they would want to leave. I'd be surprised if anyone went in for Bielik - interested parties would probably wait until January to see if how his recovery is going.

It would leave us with a squad of Roos, Forsyth, Bielik, Shinnie, Ibe and Kazim plus whoever is left from the academy. Even then, you could see other Championship clubs taking a couple of those for small fees to boost their squad depth.

21 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I was wondering who would stay at the club in that scenario. Obviously, the out of contract players would leave, Lawrence, Jozwiak and Byrne as salable assets (and high wages) would be sold. Marriott would be shipped out based on his wages. Maybe Marshall to save a bit more on wages. But the rest? Guess it depends what our asking price for those 3 (and Bird) would be, and whether they would want to leave. I'd be surprised if anyone went in for Bielik - interested parties would probably wait until January to see if how his recovery is going.

It would leave us with a squad of Roos, Forsyth, Bielik, Shinnie, Ibe and Kazim plus whoever is left from the academy. Even then, you could see other Championship clubs taking a couple of those for small fees to boost their squad depth.

Why would we sell and those under contract leave? Are the revenues in league one much different to the championship? I’m guessing season tickets sales and attendances would be similar (if allowed in), Derby in league 1 would still be a big pull so advertising etc may not alter. So that leaves TV money, is there a big difference between Championship and League 1 payments ? (I’m only asking as I really don’t know and wonder if anyone else does)

Can't believe I'm still reading arguments about whether it is or isn't in our hands to stay up ?

If we win our next five games, there will be a minimum of three teams below us, even if our relegation rivals won every other game available to us. That's the definition of in our own hands, we would not need to rely on any results in games not involving us.

It's in our hands in the same way that it's in Birmingham's hands. They win every game, they're guaranteed to stay up.

It's all hypothetical anyway, we won't win every game, nor will any of the sides around us. There's a reason why we're all down here.

10 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Why would we sell and those under contract leave? Are the revenues in league one much different to the championship? I’m guessing season tickets sales and attendances would be similar (if allowed in), Derby in league 1 would still be a big pull so advertising etc may not alter. So that leaves TV money, is there a big difference between Championship and League 1 payments ? (I’m only asking as I really don’t know and wonder if anyone else does)

because players have ambition.  Joz would not have come to us if we were in the third div.  A player with a naturally limited career will wish to ensure his earning potential remains as high as possible.  I can't imagine any of them would be saying this is great, good fun in a lower league under less pressure.

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

strangely Marriott with his div3 record would be one I would want to keep but who know what state he is in now

1 minute ago, Spanish said:

strangely Marriott with his div3 record would be one I would want to keep but who know what state he is in now

I was thinking the same, he did well at that level and maybe could find some form again for us. Obviously if we do go down which may or may not be in our own hands ?

4 minutes ago, Spanish said:

because players have ambition.  Joz would not have come to us if we were in the third div.  A player with a naturally limited career will wish to ensure his earning potential remains as high as possible.  I can't imagine any of them would be saying this is great, good fun in a lower league under less pressure.

If they’re under contract they don’t have a choice. Plus If we do go down they got us in it, they should be morally Obliged to get us out of it.

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

If they’re under contract they don’t have a choice. Plus If we do go down they got us in it, they should be morally Obliged to get us out of it.

If we get relegated they're gone mate. No doubt about it. Agents would quickly find a move and they'd all be snapped up by other clubs

Just now, Rammy03 said:

If we get relegated they're gone mate. No doubt about it. Agents would quickly find a move and they'd all be snapped up by other clubs

Maybe if someone wants squad players, but we’d have to want to sell. If they are under contract we don’t have to sell. 

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

No but do you want players who don’t want to play in League 1 for Derby?

We’ve got them now not wanting to play in the championship ?