The first 'Rooney out' poll

IslandExile

The first 'Rooney out' poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

jury still out on Rooney, but you can see good parts he brought in which was not there under Cocu, but disappointing again on Saturday with his selection but needs time.  unless we just scrape relegation or get relegated WR should have another season 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worry Wayne Rooney has veered away from instilling his will and philosophy onto the team. We were looking initially like we’d have an identity or style, now it seems we are just going out and trying to get lucky, which is the Jewell and Cocu approach! 

he needs to sort it fast or go. 

Until we get an owner who wants to be here and is invested in being here for the long-term then what's the point? We may as well just see where this train goes. A manager with any sort of credibility isn't going to come to a club in our state. We may as well kick the tyres with Rooney. 

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I worry Wayne Rooney has veered away from instilling his will and philosophy onto the team. We were looking initially like we’d have an identity or style, now it seems we are just going out and trying to get lucky, which is the Jewell and Cocu approach! 

Do you really think he needs to go mate already.

What do you mean about sort it 

Do you attach any blame to the players and takeover situation 

Just now, FindernRam said:

On average new managers seem to generate a 2 game bounce. That would see us safe( probably). Just saying!

That’s because players always want to impress a new manager and then when some feel they have their nose pushed out they get mardy and say things like I’m not here to sit on the bench. 

My opinion, FWIW, I think we should stick with Rooney. I know I have 'questioned' the defensive set up he has used recently and this contributing to our lack of goals. But Rooney has considerably more knowledge and experience of football than certainly me and I would imagine everyone else who posts on here, so I won't critcise the tactics. For all we know he could be adopting damage limitation to get us to the season end by utilising more experience players / stronger players rather than gambling with academy / lightweight players. 

He hasn't had a full pre-season / season to put in his place his team / squad. So I think it's pretty premature to be calling for him to go. He's recently said that he's in it for the long run, which is a bit of a breath of fresh air given the conveyor of managers we've had over recent years when the manager we have had in place has been relatively successful. Rooney is a winner, a vastly experienced footballer with a vast network of contacts, working under some of the great managers of the game, and he has an incredible reputation which would be a great draw for players he would want to bring in. 

Whether we be under new ownership for next season or still with our incredible current owner, Rooney will have plan A and plan B (and probably a plan C) for next season depending on the circumstances. On the point of ownership, I really feel for Mel and the criticism directed his way is unjust. He has poured his heart, soul and money into the club, and some on here throw it back in his face. I have seen him getting up and giving a really warm round of applause for the academy players when they get on the pitch (along with 1st team players) and have also spoken with him. He clearly cares about the club, and I think we really should show some appreciation towards him.

Lets get this season done and dusted and let Rooney build the next stage of our evolution. COYR.

Coventry are one point off us with a game in hand. Birmingham have appointed Bowyer, who I feel will get them safe.  Rotherham (albeit their fixtures will end up being packed closely together) have 4 games in hand with only 5 points difference. They only have to win one and park the bus for two games and they are level, with better goal difference.

Rooney had a great bounce - so good in fact that he left us with little choice but to give him the full time job - but we are now sinking rapidly with no silver lining.  I'm not getting any passion, just the same soundbites each week.  

All well and good saying let's hold fire, but will there be quality available then? Will we be in the league? We might struggle to attract at the moment, but we will struggle even more if we are in league one.

41 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

My opinion, FWIW, I think we should stick with Rooney. I know I have 'questioned' the defensive set up he has used recently and this contributing to our lack of goals. But Rooney has considerably more knowledge and experience of football than certainly me and I would imagine everyone else who posts on here, so I won't critcise the tactics. For all we know he could be adopting damage limitation to get us to the season end by utilising more experience players / stronger players rather than gambling with academy / lightweight players.

At the start under Rooney we were playing much more direct. There was clearly more focus on being defensively solid. What's happened is, we picked up a lot of good results and they thought, let's try and play more football. We've tried that in recent weeks and as you've seen, this lot just aren't capable of it and that's why we look like a cocu team again. They're not good enough folks, we just have to accept that. We can't expect this attractive attacking football as it stands with these players. 

What Rooney needs to do now is go back to basics again, start playing more direct and grind out some results. We did that before and it worked very well. Who cares if it's not 'good to watch.' We need to stay in this division.

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

My goodness.  

We only just sacked Cocu.  

Whats going on 

that was half a season ago. You would hope by now there would be some signs of improvement but we're still playing the same dire, slow, boring, painful to watch football. 

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Be fair, Cocu definitely had a style & philosophy. It was to keep the ball between our CB's and bore the opposition to death. 

1 hour ago, OUTSIDER said:

jury still out on Rooney, but you can see good parts he brought in which was not there under Cocu, but disappointing again on Saturday with his selection but needs time.  unless we just scrape relegation or get relegated WR should have another season 

what are they then?

He has to have the opportunity to get in the players he wants before we can fully judge otherwise we'd be getting rid of him without having properly equipped him with the tools to do his job, which would hardly be fair.

One or two 'major' signings could make a massive difference in how we set up as a team, and as long as they're fit and available (and don't immediately get ruled out for 6 months to a year) we should see what Rooney really wants us to do.

So... let's say 15-20 games into next season, unless something dramatically affects his ability to do the job?

Rooney in

Rooney's arselickers hanging on his every word, making out he's done a wonderful job in impossible circumstances, that he's the world's most gifted man manager and should demand respect as a manager because of his playing career... out

He deserves until the end of the season and another crack next season at the very least. 

What I can't understand is the way we got points in our mini-run of good form was from being competitive, direct, playing percentages, getting players in and around Kazim and playing from there. Why have we gone away from this over the last 5 games? 

He did really well to get the very best out of a very limited group of players and it worked. Why deviate from this now? We all know that isn't what we want to be watching or enduring in the long term but it is necessary in the short term to confirm our champ status. 

The formation on Saturday killed us. He was right to go 3/5 at the back however you look at it but why still only go 1 up front? We got a point against Brentford second half by going 2 up front. While we had an unfit Kazim we would have had much more joy with two up there ands someone running in and beyond their centre-half Souttar. He looked good because we played high balls to him. He didnt look good when we started to run at him or play balls in behind. 

Sibley got the goal against Brentford from playing in his best position. What did we see at Stoke- he was pushed out wide again. 

Granted we were limited in the forward positions but my word it was poor Saturday and Rooney needs to take some of the blame. He has shown he is a good manager at times but very clear he's still learning his craft with a very poor squad on the whole. It shows when our academy players are being picked out for poor performance and fully justified I must add. However you really shouldn't be in a position where Sibley, Knight, Buchanan and Bird should be the ones carrying the team. The older more experienced players have to show more.

All this considered I do want him to succeed but its clear he wants to completely overhaul this team and bring "his own" players in. 

The problem we have is why would any potential buyer even think of taking over the club when our Champ status hasn't been secured yet? Surely and potential new owner is looking at it like that? Why wouldn't you play the waiting game? 

I do think we will just about survive as there are (somehow) 3 worse teams in the league than us. Its gonna be a horrible ride to the end though. 

Archived