The first 'Rooney out' poll

IslandExile

The first 'Rooney out' poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think his position will be reviewed at the end of the season.

The run we’re on would have to get dramatically worse for Mel to even flinch, especially given he’s trying to ease his way out and given he’s trying to save money along the way.

Maybe if we lose v Luton and then v Reading and then v Norwich and then v Blackburn and we find ourselves in the bottom three, it might happen.

I think it would need to be a serious run of consecutive losses such as that for him to be in contention for the sack.

Nabbing points off Brentford and Barnsley will give Mel something to cling to. There is no reason to believe Mel would rush to sack him as we could fluke a win or draw somewhere and it could take the pressure right off again.

I still think that Rooney will walk anyway if the club can't provide enough resources for a promotion bid. I can't see any takeover being completed quickly. I don't think Mel could afford to sack him, so he'll see this season no matter what and then leave with a mutual consent/minimal compensation arrangement. 

No idea why Rooney has gone away from his simple football tactics and started matching teams up at every game. Too many changes again, we can't get a settled side.  

In fairness, the fact he's just about going to keep us up, he deserves to stay if it wants to. Might be an awful finish to the season but to his credit, dragged us from the bottom of the relegation hole. 

Regardless of the manager, we're only going to have about 15 players under contract at the end of the season, we'll need at the very least eight signings and some academy lads to come through. Where's that money going to come from? I don't think we'll be challenging for the promotion places anytime soon.

1 hour ago, CornwallRam said:

I still think that Rooney will walk anyway if the club can't provide enough resources for a promotion bid. I can't see any takeover being completed quickly. I don't think Mel could afford to sack him, so he'll see this season no matter what and then leave with a mutual consent/minimal compensation arrangement. 

I fear you will be proved to be correct.

53 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Is rather have a poll about whether we should get rid of posters that start stupid polls....

Charming.

A poll is a good way of gauging current opinion.

It's interesting that opinion is now quite split. Compare that to when Rooney was first appointed and there was a large majority in favour.

8 hours ago, Sheikh n Bake said:

Strange poll. The results will look skewed as you're comparing 1 Rooney out option versus 4 separate In options. Also options 2 and 3 are pretty much the same thing...

Did you read it?

Options 1 and 2 are "definitely Rooney out" just a question of whether now or the end of the season.

Option 4 and 5 are "definitely Rooney stay" but for how long.

Option 3 is essentially "don't know yet, let's see how things pan out".

8 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Charming.

A poll is a good way of gauging current opinion.

It's interesting that opinion is now quite split. Compare that to when Rooney was first appointed and there was a large majority in favour.

sorry - seems my light-hearted reply was a bit too subtle......

Give him next season if he keeps us up.  Otherwise we're back to square one with a new boss having tyo have the majority of pre-season to assess the squad and get his ideas across.

Saying that, if Rooney's whole philosophy will just be "Do what the opposition are doing" then it might be better to say "cheers for your efforts, but we've got to let you go".

As @SouthStandDan said, why's he gone away from playing in a way that was getting not only results, but decent performances.  Was it simply the injury to Bielik? 

I think we have to just wait and see how the season ends and make a decision in the summer.

We could have new owners and be in the championship, new owners in league one and so...

I said on another thread I find it incredibly difficult to support Rooney or the players at this current time. I never thought we would go down,  still don't believe we will. 

Cocu was sacked after 11 games. The last 11 from Rooney are only slightly better results wise but I would say performances are worse and in some matches, as bad as it has been for years. The options available to Rooney are better. So it sounds like I want him sacked, but we shouldn't. 

3 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

If he walks then he's unemployed (presuming he doesn't go to a lower league club), because nothing he's done will tempt a PL team  to hire him yet.

He also will look like a guy who can't hack adversity.

Not a good look tbf.

I see Rooney as a scrapper who doesn't 'walk' because things are tough, or even, really tough.

He may get fired and I have no clue if he'll make a good manager, but I doubt he gets petulant and exits the stage pursued by a bear. 

Archived