Derby v Millwall, Match Day Thread

ram59

Just now, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Not many options. Every time new players come in, they don't do enough. Tactics wise, Cardiff was awful. Other times, Barnsley, very close game, probably should have won. Would like more long direct play and more crosses and I feel we don't get enough players into the box but ultimately it's the lack of quality that is killing us. The squad isn't good enough and our best player is injured. 

tactically today was a shocker- we were far too defensive, our shape when going forward left CKR completely isolated for 65 minutes and was quite bizarre at times  (people complaining about the movement of players should be looking at the staff as this should surely be covered in training), too slow tempo in midfield that failed to give us any penetration ( the genius rooney said he thought the midfield had a good game... ) and defensively we failed to do the basics leading to the goal.

In the second half the substitutions came 20 minutes too late, our shape went out the window and we could have easily been opened up 3 or 4 times on the counter. Why Watson, Sibley and Roberts weren't starting I'm at a loss too. These are all issues to do with the management not the players. Rooney's defensive football has left the attack completely blunted as movement, support and penetration have all gone by the wayside leaving us completely reliant upon keeping the opposition out. It's not like we're Brighton who are tactically doing the right things but are completely let down by a lack of quality and there is not a chance in hell our 11 was man for man worse than Millwall's on paper today. We're not creating chances and that's largely due to the manager's fault in my book.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not happy about this at all. Singles out one of the few bright sparks who also happens to be a kid who's had barely any football recently. WTF!?!

How about the senior pros who are terrified to pass the ball forward and spend 90 minutes playing with their backs to goal? Were they part of the reason we got beat, or was it all Louie's fault? What happened to the 'we win and lose as a team' chat you were rolling out every week not so long ago?

I’m not happy about that either.  The only thing I can think is that WR thinks that Sibley isn’t reaching his potential?

Obviously this is pure conjecture, but I can’t think of any other reason unless we are playing for a 0-0 every game.

25 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not happy about this at all. Singles out one of the few bright sparks who also happens to be a kid who's had barely any football recently. WTF!?!

How about the senior pros who are terrified to pass the ball forward and spend 90 minutes playing with their backs to goal? Were they part of the reason we got beat, or was it all Louie's fault? What happened to the 'we win and lose as a team' chat you were rolling out every week not so long ago?

Well it's not like he's got precedent at throwing kids under the bus has he. How's Whittaker doing these days? 

5 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

tactically today was a shocker- we were far too defensive, our shape when going forward left CKR completely isolated for 65 minutes and was quite bizarre at times  (people complaining about the movement of players should be looking at the staff as this should surely be covered in training), too slow tempo in midfield that failed to give us any penetration ( the genius rooney said he thought the midfield had a good game... ) and defensively we failed to do the basics leading to the goal.

In the second half the substitutions came 20 minutes too late, our shape went out the window and we could have easily been opened up 3 or 4 times on the counter. Why Watson, Sibley and Roberts weren't starting I'm at a loss too. These are all issues to do with the management not the players. Rooney's defensive football has left the attack completely blunted as movement, support and penetration have all gone by the wayside leaving us completely reliant upon keeping the opposition out. It's not like we're Brighton who are tactically doing the right things but are completely let down by a lack of quality and there is not a chance in hell our 11 was man for man worse than Millwall's on paper today. We're not creating chances and that's largely due to the manager's fault in my book.

Watson looks good, would argue he could start. Sibley, possibly but he's been a bit disappointing this season, same as many others. Don't know about Roberts, don't think any of those omissions are really bad decisions to be honest.  The goal against was the player losing his man. Rooney can't legislate for that if a player doesn't want to get there first in stead of an opposition player. The attack hasn't been there all season. We take Rooney out, put another manager in, there will be similar results until we have a change in players on the pitch. 

5 minutes ago, DCFClks said:

Where would we be this season without Clarke? He's our best player most games. I bet he's so happy he's not here permanently. 

unfortunately that's probably true.

I've been thinking for a while now as well that Jozwiak is probably really regretting the move. He was sold the idea of attacking, possession based football and just look what we've become now. 

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

I said when Cocu was on the brink that we needed an experienced manager who knows this league and can get the most out of what we had. Instead we gave the job to Rooney and here is the result. We are plunging back into the poo again and he has no idea how to stop it. 

Neither have I

14 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Watson looks good, would argue he could start. Sibley, possibly but he's been a bit disappointing this season, same as many others. Don't know about Roberts, don't think any of those omissions are really bad decisions to be honest.  The goal against was the player losing his man. Rooney can't legislate for that if a player doesn't want to get there first in stead of an opposition player. The attack hasn't been there all season. We take Rooney out, put another manager in, there will be similar results until we have a change in players on the pitch. 

Watson was the only midfielder today who offered a forward ball and actual movement from the middle. The rest of the midfield lacked any imagination, tempo or movement into the final third that exacerbated the structural problems in the tactics. How many games has Sibley actually played for more than 25 minutes in his favoured position as I don't think it's many. Roberts looked dangerous today too when he came on, him and Byrne actually got in behind Millwall unlike anyone else and made us look like we might possibly get something in the second half as we started to throw the kitchen sink at them. 

Why was Waghorn man marking pearce, it was a total mismatch. Menghi is an inexperienced cb who also let his man go and this selection is a result of playing 3 cb's with Clarke as a BPD leaving Menghi as the backstop today which almost went wrong a few times. These are decisions made by the management, the players are not blameless no and the team is generally weak (although it is not a team that is so weak it should be in the bottom 5).  However, as I've said throughout this thread, tactically the team were set up all wrong today, the movement was poor and the attacking shape for 65 minutes was poorly laid out leading to a complete lack of penetration.

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

unfortunately that's probably true.

I've been thinking for a while now as well that Jozwiak is probably really regretting the move. He was sold the idea of attacking, possession based football and just look what we've become now. 

Him and the rest of us. He’s been a poor signing so far.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeah, Russell being re-invented recently. Doesn't score enough, no end-product and can't cross was what we said back in the day but all of a sudden he's fookin Ronaldo ?‍♂️

Camara is looking like Ronaldinho and Josefzoon like Ronaldo at the moment. I am old enough to remember us scoring a goal but I really feel for the young ones. 

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

The contract is deserved. He has done very well since he's come in, suddenly he hasn't done much in the last few matches but who has? Is he getting the supply? There are several players not playing well but its more of a whole team thing. 

By the admission of my post, he is the best we have at the moment, but emphasis on the moment. I don't think a contract extension should have been offered personally which is where we differ, incidentally not before or after any perceived form or lack thereof. However, if as may be the case, we are looking at zero money in the summer and another scrap next season then I can fully understand why we've extended, even if CKR will be 36, he has proven his worth in a dogfight.

3 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Watson was the only midfielder today who offered a forward ball and actual movement from the middle. The rest of the midfield lacked any imagination, tempo or movement into the final third that exacerbated the structural problems in the tactics. How many games has Sibley actually played for more than 25 minutes in his favoured position as I don't think it's much. Roberts looked dangerous today too when he came on, him and Byrne actually got in behind Millwall unlike anyone else and made us look like we might possibly get something in the second half as we started to throw the kitchen sink at them. 

Why was Waghorn man marking pearce, it was a total mismatch. Menghi is an inexperienced cb who also let his man go and this selection is a result of playing 3 cb's with Clarke as a BPD leaving Menghi as the backstop today which almost went wrong a few times. These are decisions made by the management, the players are not blameless no and the team is generally weak (although it is not a team that is so weak it should be in the bottom 5).  However, as I've said throughout this thread, tactically the team were set up all wrong today, the movement was poor and the attacking shape for 65 minutes was poorly laid out leading to a complete lack of penetration.

Pearce was of the edge of the box, Menghi doesn't bother to attack the ball when it's apparent its going near him. It's basic defending, players need to put themselves on the line to stop this. 

48 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I don't understand this either, Why not say the same about Waghorn who did nothing? The only reason I can think is that he thinks Sibley can do more but there's no point with Waghorn because he knows he can't do more anyway. I'd imagine that would just really annoy Sibley though considering he's hardly getting a chance and keeps getting subbed on in difficult circumstances. SET THE TEAM UP SO OUR ATTACKERS ACTUALLY HAVE A CHANCE TO DO WELL THEN WAYNE!

Just now, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Pearce was of the edge of the box, Menghi doesn't bother to attack the ball when it's apparent its going near him. It's basic defending, players need to put themselves on the line to stop this. 

Pearce ran in and just missed the ball as it was headed in but this is really besides the broader point of the bigger structural issues of the team. 

59 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

As in the other thread, it's worth reading the whole interview rather than an extract from Twitter.

2 hours ago, Jayram said:

I said when Cocu was on the brink that we needed an experienced manager who knows this league and can get the most out of what we had. Instead we gave the job to Rooney and here is the result. We are plunging back into the poo again and he has no idea how to stop it. 

6 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Neither have I

image.thumb.png.308fac98ea681c6dfc486f3742bbc572.png

Jokes aside though, i would love to see McClaren get more involved. We are in desperate need of an experienced coach to teach the players about pass & move. Why can't we let Mac take all the training sessions and promise to still let Rooney pick the team. ?

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Jokes aside though, i would love to see McClaren get more involved. We are in desperate need of an experienced coach to teach the players about pass & move. Why can't we let Mac take all the training sessions and promise to still let Rooney pick the team. ?

Is he even still here though? It's strange that we've not even had any sort of interview since he's returned.

5 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

*as long as Mac agreed with it...and simmo,I'm bringing him back too??

Archived