Derby v Millwall, Match Day Thread

ram59

Just now, Leeds Ram said:

Btw, I would just add it's criminally irresponsible that we put Rooney (a man who hasn't finished his coaching qualifications nor has he ever managed a team) in charge during our most difficult season in a decade. Whoever made that decision should quite frankly hang their head in shame and be treated with the contempt that they deserve. 

Cocu had plenty of qualifications and experience!

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another dire result, another thoroughly dull & infuriating afternoon watching Derby

The key to beating teams like Millwall is to start with furious intensity, score first & then let them have the ball as they lack much quality with it. Signs looked good first half with us totally dominating possession but the complacency of territorial dominance crept in, the tempo started to slow/ambition faded & aside from Forsyth's two headers, we hadn't really threatened them before they mugged a one goal lead. 

Yet again the problem lay between the back line & Kazim and its becoming a familiar story. Whilst Shinnie played well & tried to inject tempo and snap into the game, we need a much more ambitious midfield when we expect to have the majority of the ball. Other than a highly dodgy tackle in the first few seconds, Knight was anonymous & seemed to content himself with playing nothing balls sideways & backwards when there was space in front of him. Further ahead, Waghorn offered very little again & Jozwiak continued his usual frustrating pattern of good movement, good touches & then diabolical decision making in the final third. I have no idea what Rooney sees to believe this is a match winning collective nor why we had so few attacking players on the field.

Whilst we were very unlucky with Sibley's touch hitting the ball, the fact is we still didn't really threaten them much second half. Roberts & Watson both made a positive impact coming on but it was very difficult against a team that could a) bring on 5 subs & constantly increase the intensity of the press & b) had the benefit of an atrocious referee who was determined not to send Evans off despite a number of offences & generally allowed their sly game disrupting fouls to go unpunished.

Got a lot of sympathy with frustrations on here & people saying they've had enough. It really has been the bleakest season I can remember (1987 onwards). No crowds makes it pretty sterile anyway but chuck in a season long relegation battle & a total lack of threat from open play (still 9 goals all season in 36 games), it really is testing the patience to the absolute maximum.

26 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

So CKR takes the blame today...makes a change from Wisdom. You don’t think collectively as a team we are not good enough ?

As a team definitely not good enough, especially in the final 3rd. 

But CKR done nothing since he signed his contract. As for Jozwiak and Waggy, both have been crap all season. 

14 minutes ago, Monty said:

Has he I didn’t hear his interview. there was little or no service we were outnumbered in midfield and did nothing about it. Far too much backwards and sideways easy balls with no vision or creativity until Roberts and Watson came on. Jozwiak is no end product another Johnny Russell unfortunately and even in added time we’re still passing back to the keeper. Dreadful football at Barnsley and today i’m pretty disillusioned tbh and Brentford on Tuesday another loss probably. The ref was also rubbish and their goal was really down to the foul that only he could see 

I seem to recall Russell scoring a lot of goals for us including numerous absolute bangers.

Jos on the other hand has done nothing and doesn't look likely to change that.

I don't understand your comparison between the two monty?

The rest was spot on mate!

2 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Cocu had plenty of qualifications and experience!

Cocu had no experience of second division football which is precisely one of the reasons the project went to bits as he was asking for a style which for the players was too expansive to facilitate chances and keeping a solid defensive line at this level. We could have got Paul Cook who has years of managerial experience and has even worked with some of squad in the past. Instead we opt for someone with no experience and hasn't even finished his badges.. it was a fantastically stupid decision. 

3 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I seem to recall Russell scoring a lot of goals for us including numerous absolute bangers.

One of his last was in our net though! The bloke didn't even know which way were playing that day as it was a screamer.

6 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Jos on the other hand has done nothing and doesn't look likely to change that.

I don't understand your comparison between the two monty?

The rest was spot on.

Just had a quick check on Russell stats 30 goals in 5 years not sure if that qualifies as ‘lots’. I never felt confident that when he was bearing down on goal he was going to score but it’s all about opinions 

We're going backwards at a rate of knots here and while the responsibility sits with Wazza, the players need to take a long, hard look at themselves. Said it before and I'll say it again. This is a gutless group of players with very few exceptions and until the team grow a pair, we'll continue to be frustrated by poohouse outfits like Millwall.

Unfortunately you can't coach guys and will to win as Cocu and now Wazza found out. Players need to want to get on the ball and most of our lot simply don't. Pathetic really. I can't imagine playing sport for a living and going missing every match day. I'll always watch the team play, but the joy is being sucked out if it, not so much by the results, but more by the complete absence of passion. Hate the phrase 'stealing a living' but unfortunately a few of ours are doing just that.

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Just had a quick check on Russell stats 30 goals in 5 years not sure if that qualifies as ‘lots’. I never felt confident that when he was bearing down on goal he was going to score but it’s all about opinions 

Don' forget that stunner against Sheff Utd.

Just forget the fact that it was into his own net.

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, Russell being re-invented recently. Doesn't score enough, no end-product and can't cross was what we said back in the day but all of a sudden he's fookin Ronaldo ?‍♂️

38 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Rooney has just blamed the strikers. He has to get Sibley into scoring positions , and quick!

Well get some support up to them then Wayne 

get bodies in the box

get bodies around them 

Get a winger on the pitch who put something they even resembles a cross in 

joz atm is no better than periplopkins.. 

he’s become a liability that loses the ball time after time 

I don’t think sibley is the answer in the slightest but I’d rather him in the absence of ibe or Lawrence even though he’s out of position there 

I like waghorn in the main, but again offered us absolutely nothing 

God this is bad 

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Yeah, Russell being re-invented recently. Doesn't score enough, no end-product and can't cross was what we said back in the day but all of a sudden he's fookin Ronaldo ?‍♂️

The Wembley 2014 final chance is an example would he have scored if he hadnt been fouled 

Archived