Derby v Millwall, Match Day Thread

ram59

6 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

We were much worse after Rooney switched the formation and lost all our threat when he subbed off Jozwiak. CKR was very poor today, offered no movement whatsoever, it was so easy for Millwall to defend against him. Jozwiak the only player that offers any movement off the ball (and maybe Waghorn). I just don't understand why do we always play so slowly as well! 

The players are one big movement.

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that was absolutely shocking. We set up too defensively minded in the first half with nowhere near enough penetration leaving Millwall utterly comfortable. When your best chance comes from your LWB heading the ball from 12 yards out you know there is a problem. The pace was far too slow, the formation when we had the ball was weird and ineffective- all it achieved was leaving CKR isolated the few times we did work a situation. The movement was about as bad as you can imagine too- it was all in front of the cb's not giving them anything to really think about. The only time Millwall threatened was the time they scored as we failed to do the basics.

For some reason Rooney the genius that he is left it unchanged and the second half basically started the same way except Millwall pressed us a bit more. Once the changes were made we got on the front foot and looked more dangerous. Roberts and Watson caused problems and started to both spot the space and work situations to create it. Watsons' positivity in the middle was needed and he should start the next game. It just made me question why they never started in the first place... however, the formation seemed to go out the window as we threw the kitchen sink at them and got mightily lucky as  3 times that Millwall didn't take advantage of massive gaps opening up.

I tend to think our defensive solidity is predicated upon our lack of attacking edge, as soon as we try to move forward we actually lose our defensive shape and look quite vulnerable. In essence, I don't think Rooney has fundamentally resolved our defensive issues- he's just prioritised a defensive method of football to shore us up which does not give us enough creativity to remain competitive in the long run. If we continue in this fashion I can see us going down- this was a game that on paper we needed to win. Maybe Birmingham will do us a favour and bail us out but if this goes down to the last two games of the season I don't really fancy our chances.

3 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Wilder? And then if we get relegated then what? No way should a manager's life span be that short. The players aren't good enough. Under Cocu, same with Rooney. Shame about  Bielik, big loss but no to Wilder, no to changing manager. Let's change some of these players this summer. 

No manager can polish a ?

14 minutes ago, DerbyRam! said:

The saddest thing is that we have Jordan Ibe somewhere. He could make such a special difference, imagine we can drop Waggy and put Ibe starting in his place? 

I feel for the lad, but damn we need your quality!

I don't think we'll be seeing Ibe this season. It will take a long time for someone who has hardly played any competitive football in 3 years to be up to speed.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Rooney has just blamed the strikers. He has to get Sibley into scoring positions , and quick!

Has he I didn’t hear his interview. there was little or no service we were outnumbered in midfield and did nothing about it. Far too much backwards and sideways easy balls with no vision or creativity until Roberts and Watson came on. Jozwiak is no end product another Johnny Russell unfortunately and even in added time we’re still passing back to the keeper. Dreadful football at Barnsley and today i’m pretty disillusioned tbh and Brentford on Tuesday another loss probably. The ref was also rubbish and their goal was really down to the foul that only he could see 

Pretty depressing. Separate to today, also a little underwhelmed that we offered CKR a new contract, certainly done nothing since, he has been okay for us but that is an okay within the context of us being absolutely dreadful upfront and therefore being wholly reliant on a 1 in 5 man. I hope he was signed for his excellent attitude and as a mentor to younger players rather than as a footballing decision as I'd be even more underwhelmed if he is starting next season. But a minor issue I guess given how carp the rest of the squad is anyway, certainly the best we have at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Olton Ram said:

Utter gash. Thank goodness we got those results when Bielik was fit. Now we're left hoping that Wycombe, Sheff Wed, Rotherham and Birmingham are worse than us for the rest of the season.

We’re not going down.
But that was a triumph of BAD TEAM SELECTION. Joz and Waggie is a dismal proposition to support the King up front. Joz flatters to deceive, he looks good on the ball when he receives it. But surely no one is still deceived by the end product. And I’m tired of seeing him going down like a rag doll. Watson has a Fabregas like ability to split a defence. (Last person who did that at PP was Beilik.) He has to start.  Menghi will become a fine PL player but I don’t know why we’re tinkering with a defence that was working. 

One goal In 8 hours of football says everything, our forward players/wingers (Not CKR) decision making is awful, one too many touches, holding on to the ball too long soooooooooo frustrating. Thought Watson and Roberts looked bright when they came on, but by then as we were losing it didn’t matter. Let’s just hope other teams stay as bad as us and Rooney can bring in some attacking and creative options in the summer. 

2 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Wilder? And then if we get relegated then what? No way should a manager's life span be that short. The players aren't good enough. Under Cocu, same with Rooney. Shame about  Bielik, big loss but no to Wilder, no to changing manager. Let's change some of these players this summer. 

Wilder has resigned based upon the lack of financial backing needed to compete at the level Sheffield are at, why would he come anywhere near us ?

As you say, the players aren't good enough, get to the end of the season and let WR stamp his own style on the team. Judge him then, not now when he has a bag of spanner's that he has to choose from to try and win a match.

Btw, I would just add it's criminally irresponsible that we put Rooney (a man who hasn't finished his coaching qualifications nor has he ever managed a team) in charge during our most difficult season in a decade. Whoever made that decision should quite frankly hang their head in shame and be treated with the contempt that they deserve. 

Archived