Derby v Millwall, Match Day Thread

ram59

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Rooney has a poor team to deal with, he has actually got us out of the relegation zone. No problem with Rooney as manager. Cocu was experienced. As for Rooney, the guy is a leader and a knowledgable football man. This is the poorest Derby team in many years, the players need to step up. There were signs last season that we were on a downward path.

The problem today was the tactics not the team for at least the first 65 minutes. Cocu was not experienced in second division English football which is one reason why his ideas didn't translate here in the end. After previously getting us out of the mess we're now sliding right back down towards it because fundamentally Rooney hasn't addressed the tactical problems that existed beforehand. He's created a defensive brand of football that cannot offer enough going forward and then when we do go forward our defensive shape goes awol. Our shape overall is unbalanced, leaves the striker isolated and allows teams to look perfectly assured against us. This is a guy who is out of his depth and is now openly blaming players in the press. 

Really frustrating today. This is nothing to do with ability it’s about bravery to take the initiative in games when on top. Millwall offered nothing in the first half, we were in complete control, yet the only players who tried to make something happen were Shinnie and the two wing backs. I don’t know what has happened to Jason Knight but he was the worst culprit for playing the safe ball today. He just stood deep he offered nothing, there was one point where Shinnie was taking on several players across the box and Knight just stood still 10 yards away watching him. 

The last 25 mins the intent was right. We got into a lot of good areas and we made their defence defend. They stood up to it but had we started with that intent and maintained it we would’ve been successful.

There wasn’t much wrong with the performance today, we probably didn’t deserve to lose the game, but unless we actively try and win games we’re going to be relying on teams being worst than us. 

I still think we will stay up but unless we turn the recent performances around again it’s going to be tense right until the last game.

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

No,today's performance mr sensitive!

(I was agreeing with you on that)

Asking you to clarify your point isn't being sensitive Mr Sensitive ? 

But yeah, we're garbage. Briefly flattered to deceive, muggins here got sucked in as usual, but now we're straight back to sideways / backwards passing and hiding from the ball. Sick of it now.

I don’t know if this has already been said, but...

I’m as equally unhappy with the dull football and hope that it is a needs-must approach at present, that Wayne will play a more expansive game when he starts with a clean slate next year.

However, we can’t lay all blame his way. The reality is that Millwall has 1 shot and scored with a header.

Forsyth had 2 clear headed chances and should have put the 2nd one away. Sibley hit the crossbar when it would have been easier to have hit the goal.

Wayne will take the blame but, ultimately, if the players do not have the skill/technique/composure to at least hit the target, then it’s not all on him.

If those chances go in, then he could argue the game plan was correct, even though overly defensive.

Any, if ifs and ands were pots and pans...

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Asking you to clarify your point isn't being sensitive Mr Sensitive ? 

But yeah, we're garbage. Briefly flattered to deceive, muggins here got sucked in as usual, but now we're straight back to sideways / backwards passing and hiding from the ball. Sick of it now.

We all did mate,what choice did we have?

1 hour ago, Mr. P said:

Waghorn is not exactly earning a new contract at the minute. Unless that’s his plan! 

i fear waghorn will be given a contract,simply because we have so many players to replace,he will be the cheapest option.dread the thought of another waghorn season

Well once more WE ENDED THE MATCH WITH THE TEAM THAT SHOULD HAVE STARTED IT. yes, I shouted that bit, but I have said it many, many times this season. Some people say that by the time we actually put the right side out the game is over and the opposition are sitting back seeing the match out, but I disagree, because most teams are still looking to turn us and hit us on the break. In reality when you start a match with 7 defensive minded players, the outcome is a more or less foregone conclusion, no matter who we are playing.

Unfortunately Wayne seems to be stuck with the idea of trying to not lose, which might seem like it is working, until we are losing. Then its game over because there is  nowhere to go, especially as Wayne doesn't even try to go anywhere until it is too late. I can remember under Jim Smith we saw some of the most fantastic football  with a really upbeat, "Let's have a go at them" attitude - until Steve MaClaren was poached by Manure. Then he went into the same "try to not lose" attitude we have grabbed with both hands right now, and there was only one outcome.

And so to the match. It  seemed like the plan was to cross to the far post for Fozzy to get on the end of, knowing how difficult Millwalls poo-house defending would be. The one he put wide was actually Millwall doing poo-house defending because the defender nudged Fozzy just as he jumped for the  ball meaning that he met the ball a bit to the right of where he should have, and that sent the ball wide. Unfortunately apart from his ability to cross the ball, playing him that high up the pitch backfired because he simply doesn't have the skill on the ball to do that job. Byrne played well, probably our best player on the day, Menghi looked class at first, then he goofed for the goal, and then started letting the ball run under his foot. And until the substitutions, that's about it, performance wise. CKR didn't do too well, but had poor service, and because we had fielded about 275 defenders, there were no players running off him, plus he had 3 defenders holding hands with him all game long, so he had very little room to do what he does. The substitutions meant that suddenly we had the potential to make something happen for the first time in the match. Sibley should have scored his chance, but it came to him in an instance, and he's only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes. If only he could have the 20 or so chances that Waghorn needs to score, then who knows what he could do. Maybe even score a goal or two? Oh, and comparing Joswiack with Johnny Russell is not on. I have wanted to support Joswiack because he always has 3 or more defenders on him when he has the ball, but that glorious opportunity from Watson's brilliant through ball summed him up, and I think his time is up. Sibley in his place please. Except that Tom is due back, so Sibbers is going to have to wait for Tom to not produce for the next 57 matches before he gets another sniff of starting. ?

And Darren England. good grief! He didn't give us the obligatory opening 15 minutes before cocking things up. Everybody knows that Evans should have been long gone, but all match long until he was substituted, Wallace's entire match plan was to commit fouls. He must have given at least 15 away, so he too should have walked for persistent fouling. And Pearce wacking his studs into CKR's back - England wasn't even going to give the free-kick, let alone get a card out - and it too could have been red. Imagine that - a decent ref and Millwall would have been down to 8 players! That was never going to happen, was it? 

So what we had was an incredible attempt to win the "worst performance in a Derby County game" award, just like the pillock of a ref on Wednesday night. But this is Derby County, and we absolutely thrashed him to take the prize for ourselves, yet again. In the end we only have ourselves to blame for the result.

Will I bother for the Brentford match? I have no intention at the moment. But there was an ad for SkySports a few years ago, where a dad says to his son "Be careful son, because when you choose your team, it's yours for life". So I'll see you for the Brentford match, then?

47 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Another dire result, another thoroughly dull & infuriating afternoon watching Derby

The key to beating teams like Millwall is to start with furious intensity, score first & then let them have the ball as they lack much quality with it. Signs looked good first half with us totally dominating possession but the complacency of territorial dominance crept in, the tempo started to slow/ambition faded & aside from Forsyth's two headers, we hadn't really threatened them before they mugged a one goal lead. 

Yet again the problem lay between the back line & Kazim and its becoming a familiar story. Whilst Shinnie played well & tried to inject tempo and snap into the game, we need a much more ambitious midfield when we expect to have the majority of the ball. Other than a highly dodgy tackle in the first few seconds, Knight was anonymous & seemed to content himself with playing nothing balls sideways & backwards when there was space in front of him. Further ahead, Waghorn offered very little again & Jozwiak continued his usual frustrating pattern of good movement, good touches & then diabolical decision making in the final third. I have no idea what Rooney sees to believe this is a match winning collective nor why we had so few attacking players on the field.

Whilst we were very unlucky with Sibley's touch hitting the ball, the fact is we still didn't really threaten them much second half. Roberts & Watson both made a positive impact coming on but it was very difficult against a team that could a) bring on 5 subs & constantly increase the intensity of the press & b) had the benefit of an atrocious referee who was determined not to send Evans off despite a number of offences & generally allowed their sly game disrupting fouls to go unpunished.

Got a lot of sympathy with frustrations on here & people saying they've had enough. It really has been the bleakest season I can remember (1987 onwards). No crowds makes it pretty sterile anyway but chuck in a season long relegation battle & a total lack of threat from open play (still 9 goals all season in 36 games), it really is testing the patience to the absolute maximum.

Completely agreed. 

Couple things I'd like to add aside from getting tactically off from the start the subs were a little questionable as well. Not in terms of personal coming on necessarily but the players to come off and the tactical shifts. Our main joy was coming from the wing backs and especially down the right with Jozwiak linking well with Byrne. So it felt at odd with how the game was playing out that was an area we'd look to change.  It wasn't the wide areas per se that we had an issue tactically and was more lack of creativity in the centre. Really we should have been looking to bring both Bird and Watson on around the time Watson came on. Other than that it feels strange to shift to a system were we are putting Waghorn at 10, a position he's never been suited to after he'd be largely anonymous all game. It also feels strange to leave Mengi on as a two given that he's error prone and inexperienced.

Rooney is getting cut a lot of slack mostly based on his name and the false position we were in when he took over. But honestly the games were it feels like we've dropped points primarily down tactics, selection, lack of reaction and overall management feels to be quickly mounting with this one another one added to the pile. Why today for example did we start with 5 at the back and two defensive runners when everyone and their dog could tell you that Rowett is going to look to sit behind the ball? 

The lack of trying to be proactive, playing technically more adept player, tactically flip flopping and trying to react tactically to stifle the opposition is crippling us. Just for once I'd like to see us trying and put out a line up that looks somewhat progressive.

Although it was poor today I still think we won't go down but...

Clarke looks better centrally rather than left sided of a 3 gives us more composure, Fozzy was very poor today and don't really think 3 at the back worked today , Wisdom Clarke Byrne and Buchanan still look our best back 4 and Edmundson and Clarke would also offer a good partnership imo

going forward we are slow and predictable and lack creativity so for Brentford I'd go

Roos

Byrne,Wisdom,Clarke,Buchanan - 

Shinnie        Knight

Roberts    Watson    Lawrence

CKR or Gregory

This looks more offensive and even though Lawrence might not be everyone's cup of tea we need him back and firing we didn't lose to Brentford earlier in season and think we can beat them but we must be positive.....

19 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The problem today was the tactics not the team for at least the first 65 minutes. Cocu was not experienced in second division English football which is one reason why his ideas didn't translate here in the end. After previously getting us out of the mess we're now sliding right back down towards it because fundamentally Rooney hasn't addressed the tactical problems that existed beforehand. He's created a defensive brand of football that cannot offer enough going forward and then when we do go forward our defensive shape goes awol. Our shape overall is unbalanced, leaves the striker isolated and allows teams to look perfectly assured against us. This is a guy who is out of his depth and is now openly blaming players in the press. 

Disagree, more players need calling out. They're not doing enough. Too inconsistent. We need more competition for places. We have too many average players, a lot of inexperienced players and not much squad depth (a  bit better now but they're loans). I don't think experience in second tier football always equals success. My only issue with Rooney has been the team selection against Cardiff. 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Well I'm off to watch England's egg chasers boot the ball up into the air against the talented French. 

That should cheer me up. 

Who's with me? ?

Now then folks. England actually ran around a bit and proved that they could actually play. A very good game. 

Perhaps there's yet hope for the Rams.... ?

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Has he I didn’t hear his interview. there was little or no service we were outnumbered in midfield and did nothing about it. Far too much backwards and sideways easy balls with no vision or creativity until Roberts and Watson came on. Jozwiak is no end product another Johnny Russell unfortunately and even in added time we’re still passing back to the keeper. Dreadful football at Barnsley and today i’m pretty disillusioned tbh and Brentford on Tuesday another loss probably. The ref was also rubbish and their goal was really down to the foul that only he could see 

Johnny is way above Joz

5 minutes ago, S8TY said:

Although it was poor today I still think we won't go down but...

Clarke looks better centrally rather than left sided of a 3 gives us more composure, Fozzy was very poor today and don't really think 3 at the back worked today , Wisdom Clarke Byrne and Buchanan still look our best back 4 and Edmundson and Clarke would also offer a good partnership imo

going forward we are slow and predictable and lack creativity so for Brentford I'd go

Roos

Byrne,Wisdom,Clarke,Buchanan - 

Shinnie        Knight

Roberts    Watson    Lawrence

CKR or Gregory

This looks more offensive and even though Lawrence might not be everyone's cup of tea we need him back and firing we didn't lose to Brentford earlier in season and think we can beat them but we must be positive.....

Does Knight warrant a starting place ?

2 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

Disagree, more players need calling out. They're not doing enough. Too inconsistent. We need more competition for places. We have too many average players, a lot of inexperienced players and not much squad depth (a  bit better now but they're loans). I don't think experience in second tier football always equals success. My only issue with Rooney has been the team selection against Cardiff. 

If your only issue with is the team selection against Cardiff i think that says it all tbh.

1 hour ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

The team isn't good enough, don't think many managers would do better. All the squad has had chances now under two managers. This isn't all Rooney. 

Fair point mate, I wasn't saying this poor form is all Rooney. Just pointing out that the good form wasn't all him either. 

As I said, he deserves time, I just want to see some more of the creative players in from the off.

We set up so conservatively today. Three centre backs and two busy centre mids without much creativity against Millwall at home isn't exactly going for it, is it?

27 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Well once more WE ENDED THE MATCH WITH THE TEAM THAT SHOULD HAVE STARTED IT. yes, I shouted that bit, but I have said it many, many times this season. Some people say that by the time we actually put the right side out the game is over and the opposition are sitting back seeing the match out, but I disagree, because most teams are still looking to turn us and hit us on the break. In reality when you start a match with 7 defensive minded players, the outcome is a more or less foregone conclusion, no matter who we are playing.

Unfortunately Wayne seems to be stuck with the idea of trying to not lose, which might seem like it is working, until we are losing. Then its game over because there is  nowhere to go, especially as Wayne doesn't even try to go anywhere until it is too late. I can remember under Jim Smith we saw some of the most fantastic football  with a really upbeat, "Let's have a go at them" attitude - until Steve MaClaren was poached by Manure. Then he went into the same "try to not lose" attitude we have grabbed with both hands right now, and there was only one outcome.

And so to the match. It  seemed like the plan was to cross to the far post for Fozzy to get on the end of, knowing how difficult Millwalls poo-house defending would be. The one he put wide was actually Millwall doing poo-house defending because the defender nudged Fozzy just as he jumped for the  ball meaning that he met the ball a bit to the right of where he should have, and that sent the ball wide. Unfortunately apart from his ability to cross the ball, playing him that high up the pitch backfired because he simply doesn't have the skill on the ball to do that job. Byrne played well, probably our best player on the day, Menghi looked class at first, then he goofed for the goal, and then started letting the ball run under his foot. And until the substitutions, that's about it, performance wise. CKR didn't do too well, but had poor service, and because we had fielded about 275 defenders, there were no players running off him, plus he had 3 defenders holding hands with him all game long, so he had very little room to do what he does. The substitutions meant that suddenly we had the potential to make something happen for the first time in the match. Sibley should have scored his chance, but it came to him in an instance, and he's only been on the pitch for a couple of minutes. If only he could have the 20 or so chances that Waghorn needs to score, then who knows what he could do. Maybe even score a goal or two? Oh, and comparing Joswiack with Johnny Russell is not on. I have wanted to support Joswiack because he always has 3 or more defenders on him when he has the ball, but that glorious opportunity from Watson's brilliant through ball summed him up, and I think his time is up. Sibley in his place please. Except that Tom is due back, so Sibbers is going to have to wait for Tom to not produce for the next 57 matches before he gets another sniff of starting. ?

And Darren England. good grief! He didn't give us the obligatory opening 15 minutes before cocking things up. Everybody knows that Evans should have been long gone, but all match long until he was substituted, Wallace's entire match plan was to commit fouls. He must have given at least 15 away, so he too should have walked for persistent fouling. And Pearce wacking his studs into CKR's back - England wasn't even going to give the free-kick, let alone get a card out - and it too could have been red. Imagine that - a decent ref and Millwall would have been down to 8 players! That was never going to happen, was it? 

So what we had was an incredible attempt to win the "worst performance in a Derby County game" award, just like the pillock of a ref on Wednesday night. But this is Derby County, and we absolutely thrashed him to take the prize for ourselves, yet again. In the end we only have ourselves to blame for the result.

Will I bother for the Brentford match? I have no intention at the moment. But there was an ad for SkySports a few years ago, where a dad says to his son "Be careful son, because when you choose your team, it's yours for life". So I'll see you for the Brentford match, then?

Jason Knight could easily have been given a straight red for the studs in their guys knee after 10 seconds. Very lucky.

However the ref was blatantly pro millwall in my eyes

Archived