Back to Normality.

1of4

28 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Even from me an unnecessary sly jibe and not required. 

The general question was a fair one worthy of discussion, one of the reasons even I avoid the Coronavirus thread on here as at the best of times it's point scoring and people butting heads without even trying to accept the other posters points of views.

Thank you oh arbitrator of everything that should be fair and reasonable - what an anarchic den of chaos this forum would be without your striking insight and implicit understanding of right and wrong.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

Thank you oh arbitrator of everything that should be fair and reasonable - what an anarchic den of chaos this forum would be without your striking insight and implicit understanding of right and wrong.

Despite your reply being marinade with sarcasm it was still uncalled for as political points scoring exactly why the politics thread was removed and now why a lot of posters including myself avoid the Coronavirus thread like the plague. 

4 hours ago, sage said:

I think we will see masks on trains and buses for a while.

I do hope that people do appreciate friends and nature more than money and rushing around carried forward.

Hoping the same, that we notice not just nature but the whole world. How we live and the consiquences of our actions. That we've started to become aware of our own fragility. Yes we may have averted a global disaster this time but what happens if next time there's no cure?

4 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I personally hope the heightened cleanliness and mandatory face masks remain in supermarkets. I hate wearing the masks but think they're a good idea in that environment. 

Am I hearing you right, so when hopefully this pandemic has passed, you would like society to adopt wearing face masks in supermarkets? If so why not all other indoor places where the public use? Preposterous idea!

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Despite your reply being marinade with sarcasm it was still uncalled for as political points scoring exactly why the politics thread was removed and now why a lot of posters including myself avoid the Coronavirus thread like the plague. 

Don't fret mate... I saw what you did there!

tenor.gif

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think @BaaLocks has been crucified enough for this, especially as they rarely posted on the other threads you refer too as well. I don't think suggesting our worldbeating PM is economical with the truth really counts as political point scoring either, just an opinion of people in power. I imagine most of his supporters would agree!

2 hours ago, Hathersage Ram said:

Am I hearing you right, so when hopefully this pandemic has passed, you would like society to adopt wearing face masks in supermarkets? If so why not all other indoor places where the public use? Preposterous idea!

Why not if it helps to prevent another pandemic and the restrictions that go with it. It's hardly that big of an ask surely? 

1 minute ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Why not if it helps to prevent another pandemic and the restrictions that go with it. It's hardly that big of an ask surely? 

Mask wearing has been fairly routine in Asia during flu seasons for decades and is almost seen as politeness. I see no reason why we shouldn't be similar if it helps keep recurrences down. 

20 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

I have no issues in wearing a face mask during a pandemic. However, it's complete overkill and nanny state individuals wanting such actions during normal times. And to state it's not a big ask is ridiculous, of course mandatory wearing of face masks in supermarkets is a big imposition! Where else would you want it, just more people over reacting and wanting to make the world a sterile place.

Personally I’ll try and enjoy things I’ve put off and regretted now being in lockdown, eg visit the local more, not putting off nights out with mates, doing more away games etc etc. I certainly won’t be afraid of going in to crowded areas, I can’t wait for football matches, gigs, crowded pubs etc. 
I think the two big changes personally will be more working from home and less international travel, both I’d be happy with. 
I certainly think things will change and some for the better, I just hope it returns to as much pre Covid normality as possible. I do fear we will live in fear of the next episode though, and for a few years will be over sensitive to events we normally wouldn’t be, but I guess that’s natural after what’s happened. 

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

The politics thread was removed due to posters abusing each other not political point scoring.

1 hour ago, Hathersage Ram said:

I have no issues in wearing a face mask during a pandemic. However, it's complete overkill and nanny state individuals wanting such actions during normal times. And to state it's not a big ask is ridiculous, of course mandatory wearing of face masks in supermarkets is a big imposition! Where else would you want it, just more people over reacting and wanting to make the world a sterile place.

It's quite obviously a big issue for you but for me a trip to the supermarket isn't a long drawn out affair. With that in mind I have absolutely no problem popping on a mask for the time I'm in there. 

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

My hairdresser rang up today. I have not one but two hair appointments scheduled in for April and June. Exciting! 

Well done Angie. Your pudding basin can go back to just being used for puddings again now. ?

On 26/02/2021 at 13:06, Hathersage Ram said:

I would like us to adopt the mentality of a lot of South East Asian countries.

If you (not you in particular - anyone) are sick, even if you suspect that it is 'only a cold', then either stay at home or, if you have to go out, then it is only polite to wear a mask to stop you spraying your infected phlegm and mucus over others.

On 26/02/2021 at 15:50, Hathersage Ram said:

I’m glad you’ve taken on board the lessons of the pandemic then. 

I doubt it will become mandatory, but it is very sensible to think in terms of preventing something like this happening again. 

I’m sure when seatbelts first came in, after a couple of weeks, people thought, ‘but I’ve not had an accident, so why am I bothering.’

or when we first started to have to take our shoes off at airports, ‘no ones tried to sneak a bomb in in their shoes for ages, so why do we still do this.’

same thing in this case, there’s not been a pandemic for 20 years, so why are we bothering to wear masks? Why are we having a jab every year?

thise who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Those other things just became the norm, it feels weird not to wear a seat belt now. 

Having said that, I don’t think masks will remain mandatory, but I do think more people will choose to wear them, and it won’t look daft, it’ll just be a normal thing. 

11 hours ago, Eddie said:

I would like us to adopt the mentality of a lot of South East Asian countries.

If you (not you in particular - anyone) are sick, even if you suspect that it is 'only a cold', then either stay at home or, if you have to go out, then it is only polite to wear a mask to stop you spraying your infected phlegm and mucus over others.

For me the stay at home is more important than wearing a mask if ill. Workplaces have to be one of the top places in normal circumstances for spreading bugs.

Im sure my experience has been no different to others and you always get 'heros' who battle through bugs and colds to get in to work and are held up as a shinging example by management, when in fact they are spreading their illness and probably having a negative effect on productivity.

Then management themselves who have, in more recent years, held you down under a spotlight and interrogated you if you dare have time off sick.

The issue i guess would be how many businesses handle time off sick in relation to pay. Ive found, which may be my experience only, businesses have got less generous, up until a few years ago the business i worked for allowed a good contractual period of time off sick each year which kicked in on day one of absence, the next had a good occupation sick pay scheme but it didnt kick in until 1 week off, and the one now there is currently no scheme.

SSP doesnt go along way and under normal circumstances doesnt kick in until day 4 (i think). So if you do the right thing and stay at home sick you will be without pay for a few days which people can ill afford.

For those with the ability to work at home there are times im sure you could work at home while feeling under the weather but not spreading it to colleagues, but we dont all have the luxury.

One way could be to allow 'x' amount of sick days each year at full pay but we know people will abuse it, one my mates used to work as a postal worker and they were allowed 12 days sick each year which everyone just classed as extra annual leave and didnt seem to think anything of it by making sure they take the full entitlement.

So I guess businesses should be looking to encourage staff to stay at home, work if they can but be off sick if not, where possible but balance it with the risk of people taking the piss and abusing it.

I guess it comes down to management, maybe the way is to pay employees on an ex gratia basis if off sick and if you are certain someone is abusing it you dont pay them.

When did it become accepted that it was polite to put your hand over your mouth when coughing and/or sneezing?

When did it become accepted that it was best advised to wash your hands after going to the toilet... even if "only at a urinal", gentlemen!  

I'm sure all generations reading these pages will have had that instilled in them from an early age, but I doubt it has been going on since time immemorial! 

There will always be those who just can't be bothered, or those that just don't care... and to those, I stick up a metaphorical unwashed middle finger... but here's hoping that 2021 becomes the next step in our evolution.

Stay thoughtful.  Stay polite.  Stay decent.  

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

When did it become accepted that it was polite to put your hand over your mouth when coughing and/or sneezing?

When did it become accepted that it was best advised to wash your hands after going to the toilet... even if "only at a urinal", gentlemen!  

I'm sure all generations reading these pages will have had that instilled in them from an early age, but I doubt it has been going on since time immemorial! 

There will always be those who just can't be bothered, or those that just don't care... and to those, I stick up a metaphorical unwashed middle finger... but here's hoping that 2021 becomes the next step in our evolution.

Stay thoughtful.  Stay polite.  Stay decent.  

My work colleague takes this to the next level...covers his mouth, examines it, then in the height if cleanliness licks it off his plams.

Not sure how he thinks we arent seeing this.

Archived