Back to Normality.

1of4

9 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

My work colleague takes this to the next level...covers his mouth, examines it, then in the height if cleanliness licks it off his plams.

Not sure how he thinks we arent seeing this.

Wanted to put an "angry reaction" to that, but realised it would go on your record, not your filthy, disgusting colleague's!  ?

Oh... and... I take it, with him having "plams", he's from a neighbouring City? ?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Wanted to put an "angry reaction" to that, but realised it would go on your record, not your filthy, disgusting colleague's!  ?

Oh... and... I take it, with him having "plams", he's from a neighbouring City? ?

Lol....he is yes. It really is like working with animals, one reason working from home has been so peacful for me. 4 of us blokes in an office, i think the younger lad and me are fine though im sure we have habits that annoy others but the snorts and palm licking get on my nerves with him, and the other guy just sees no issue with letting off farts through the day, just does it...standing next you wherever and doesnt even bat an eye lid.

1 minute ago, Sith Happens said:

Lol....he is yes. It really is like working with animals, one reason working from home has been so peacful for me. 4 of us blokes in an office, i think the younger lad and me are fine though im sure we have habits that annoy others but the snorts and palm licking get on my nerves with him, and the other guy just sees no issue with letting off farts through the day, just does it...standing next you wherever and doesnt even bat an eye lid.

I could (and occasionally do) work from home, but generally prefer to be in the office, as I have what I need around me.  I'm lucky as there's only two of us, and he's normally gone by 11am anyway, leaving me to concentrate and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Since Burtons Menswear announced their closure, Muckerette is now "Working from home" (making craft items for sale online), so I generally prefer to go in to the office to avoid the very behaviour you experience at work!  ?

*I jest of course... Muckerette has never once farted, in the 35 years we've been together... or so she claims!  ?

This maybe opening a can of worms, but I can’t think of anywhere else to ask this question:

There’s obviously still a lot of scepticism about the vaccine. I’ve spoken to many people who cite the fact that they believe it’s not given through proper clinical trials or been tested enough for them to trust it. 

But, on the subject of getting back to normality, I can’t work out, and no one will tell me, what people who hold this, belief think is the best way to get back to normality. 

A) if they insist that a vaccine isn’t safe until it’s gone through years of testing, is their plan to simply stay in lock down for years.

B) or is their plan that there is thankfully enough ‘sheep’ in the world that will get themselves vaccinated, so they know they won’t have to, and we can all get back to normality anyway, whether they’ve been involved in that process or not. 

C) what I’d really like to know is if there is some third option I haven’t considered. Is there a legitimate other route out of the pandemic that doesn’t involve fast tracked vaccinations? Am I getting annoyed at people choosing not to take the vaccine without considering the other possibilities?

7 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I could (and occasionally do) work from home, but generally prefer to be in the office, as I have what I need around me.  I'm lucky as there's only two of us, and he's normally gone by 11am anyway, leaving me to concentrate and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Since Burtons Menswear announced their closure, Muckerette is now "Working from home" (making craft items for sale online), so I generally prefer to go in to the office to avoid the very behaviour you experience at work!  ?

*I jest of course... Muckerette has never once farted, in the 35 years we've been together... or so she claims!  ?

She probably wants to get that looked at. I’m not sure that’s healthy. 

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

I agree its different for all of us.

I am on my own during the day so have a good environment to work with no interuptions, i dont need anything in the office, the only thing i do miss is the social interaction (apart from the snot licking).

I guess its a balance, 2 hours a day in a car to have a chin wag over a coffee or gaining 2 hours and not.

It looks like home working is going to continue post covid, but with so many days at home and 1 or 2 in the office, for my job its likely to be heavily weighted to home working wheras those that work in bigger teams will probably do more time in the office as that interaction with team members is more important.

I work in a small team and 1 or 2 days in would be a good balance.

I really do get the benefit in getting people back to offices, especially in towns and cities where the coffee and sandwich shops etc get a huge benefit but i work in an office on an industrial estate so i cant even add supporting other businesses to the reasons to go in more.

Maybe if i was a single 21 year old and not 50 and my coffee time was going to be with the girl in accounts (not a real person just an example ? ) and not the snot licker i might have more incentive. I guess what im saying is as ive got older my need for the social element of work has reduced.

5 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

Am I getting annoyed at people choosing not to take the vaccine without considering the other possibilities?

Think yourself lucky you don't live in Germany, only 1% of the country vaccinated. No one has confidence in the AZ jab after they didn't deem it safe for the over 65s, hundreds of thousands of doses just sitting there whilst they face a third wave.

You will often here the term "managing your own risk" used as an excuse for people who don't have the vaccine, they don't think it will have an impact of the rest of the country should they get ill and therefore what is the problem.

Maybe the message needs to be re-emphasised about the risk it has on the wider country.

41 minutes ago, BIllyD said:

Think yourself lucky you don't live in Germany, only 1% of the country vaccinated. No one has confidence in the AZ jab after they didn't deem it safe for the over 65s, hundreds of thousands of doses just sitting there whilst they face a third wave.

You will often here the term "managing your own risk" used as an excuse for people who don't have the vaccine, they don't think it will have an impact of the rest of the country should they get ill and therefore what is the problem.

Maybe the message needs to be re-emphasised about the risk it has on the wider country.

Seems to be talk france and germany will change their stance and approve the AZ vaccine for over 65's.

I did read they were reporting something like 65% of people having time off ill because of side effects from the AZ vaccine, its odd as no one i know of has had a reaction thats caused them to be off work.

There does seem to have been an effort to discredit the AZ vaccine, maybe as a result of them saying supplies might be delayed, but its certainly appears to have been a deliberate act to save face which has back fired hugely.

Both countries have a lot of effort to make to restore confidence in the vaccine, germany have something like 1 million doses sat untouched due to lack of confidence in it, when real world data seems to be suggesting protection is stronger with the AZ vaccine than the Pfizer one, including in the elderly population.

29 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Seems to be talk france and germany will change their stance and approve the AZ vaccine for over 65's.

I did read they were reporting something like 65% of people having time off ill because of side effects from the AZ vaccine, its odd as no one i know of has had a reaction thats caused them to be off work.

There does seem to have been an effort to discredit the AZ vaccine, maybe as a result of them saying supplies might be delayed, but its certainly appears to have been a deliberate act to save face which has back fired hugely.

Both countries have a lot of effort to make to restore confidence in the vaccine, germany have something like 1 million doses sat untouched due to lack of confidence in it, when real world data seems to be suggesting protection is stronger with the AZ vaccine than the Pfizer one, including in the elderly population.

That’s what I didn’t get. Even if, and it’s a big if, the side effects were bad enough to keep you off work for a couple of days, it’s still better than the alternative of just catching it to achieve immunity. Where at best you’ll definitely need to isolate for 2 weeks, at worst you could be a lot sicker than any side effects, and could pass it onto others. 

my job actually involves interviewing people after they’ve had the vaccine, and I’ve come across 2 people that have had minor side effects, snd 1 that felt quite ill with it, but it passed after a couple of days, and ultimately she’s happy to have had it. That’s out of hundreds of people I’ve seen. 

And when people say ‘it’s’ dangerous or untested. I think they forget that there are two vaccines in common circulation. If they don’t like the idea of one, they can always choose to have the other. The two vaccines (AZ and Pfizer) work in completely different ways. So which one is dangerous, which one is untested. 

the problem here is that I’m engaging like minded people, but I’m genuinely interested to know what the other side of the story is. I may have to bite the bullet and take this debate to Facebook with my tin hat at the ready.  

34 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

My wife had her jab Saturday morning, and no way could she have worked Sunday. Monday morning I found her asleep at the kitchen/office table, so still not 100%.

1 minute ago, TigerTedd said:

That’s what I didn’t get. Even if, and it’s a big if, the side effects were bad enough to keep you off work for a couple of days, it’s still better than the alternative of just catching it to achieve immunity. Where at best you’ll definitely need to isolate for 2 weeks, at worst you could be a lot sicker than any side effects, and could pass it onto others. 

my job actually involves interviewing people after they’ve had the vaccine, and I’ve come across 2 people that have had minor side effects, snd 1 that felt quite ill with it, but it passed after a couple of days, and ultimately she’s happy to have had it. That’s out of hundreds of people I’ve seen. 

And when people say ‘it’s’ dangerous or untested. I think they forget that there are two vaccines in common circulation. If they don’t like the idea of one, they can always choose to have the other. The two vaccines (AZ and Pfizer) work in completely different ways. So which one is dangerous, which one is untested. 

the problem here is that I’m engaging like minded people, but I’m genuinely interested to know what the other side of the story is. I may have to bite the bullet and take this debate to Facebook with my tin hat at the ready.  

I wasnt given a choice of vaccine, not sure what would happen if you tried to choose or not.

I did forget, one friend did have a day off sick having had the Pfzier vaccine. Call me the suspicous type but having been asked to have it by her employer (she is in social care) i wonder if the temptation to take a friday off work may have been too much. Or maybe the fact she seemed to have full blown flu when it was time to go to work, but seemed ok with her large glass of red on our video call that evening ?

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

My wife had her jab Saturday morning, and no way could she have worked Sunday. Monday morning I found her asleep at the kitchen/office table, so still not 100%.

Im not disputing some may have a reaction, though 65% seemed a high figure considering my own (albeit anectodal and small group) experience.

9 minutes ago, Rev said:

Also out of interest has your wife had covid ? I read there seemed to be more of a reaction if someone had. 

Hope she is ok now btw.

28 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Also out of interest has your wife had covid ? I read there seemed to be more of a reaction if someone had. 

Hope she is ok now btw.

Not that we know of, she was fine Tuesday morning. 

38 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

Im not disputing some may have a reaction, though 65% seemed a high figure considering my own (albeit anectodal and small group) experience.

I had a big reaction, it was the Pfizer jab though. It still hasn't put me off getting the second jab, it lasted only a day or so.

Plenty of people I know who had AZ haven't had anything, so I'd agree with 65% appearing high.

My wife, aged 72, had the Pfizer jab - no reactions.

I'm aged 68, and had the AstraZenaca - no reactions.

However, when I had a typhoid jab several years ago, I wasn't good for a couple of days. Who knows why some people get reactions and some don't?

1 hour ago, Sith Happens said:

I wasnt given a choice of vaccine, not sure what would happen if you tried to choose or not.

I did forget, one friend did have a day off sick having had the Pfzier vaccine. Call me the suspicous type but having been asked to have it by her employer (she is in social care) i wonder if the temptation to take a friday off work may have been too much. Or maybe the fact she seemed to have full blown flu when it was time to go to work, but seemed ok with her large glass of red on our video call that evening ?

If you’ve got a severe allergy to eggs, for example, then you’d be advised to have AZ instead of Pfizer (which is cultured in eggs and may therefore have traces of egg). 

but if you had a particular issue with the one you’re assigned to (for example, perhaps you’re extreme vegan and don’t want the Pfizer simply because eggs have been used in its manufacture) when you’re invited to go, you can always talk to your gp, tell them your reasons and be put back on the list for the other one. 

They’re swings and roundabouts in terms of their effectiveness though, so if you’ve got no particular reason to have one over the other, best to just have whichever one you’re given. 

1 hour ago, Rev said:

When people have reactions, apart from in the very small amount of cases where it’s an allergic reaction, and that happens almost instantly, it’s not actually the vaccine they’re reacting too. It’s there immune system working out the best way to adapt to the virus and create the appropriate antibodies. So a fever or a headache is actually your immune system going into overdrive, and you’re immune system won’t do anything to damage you (apart from in anaphylaxis) it’s not designed that way. 

everyone has a reaction of some sort, it’s part for he process of the immune system doing its job. In some people it’s a noticeable, even temporarily debilitating reaction, in others it’s not even noticeable. 

point is, a lot of people think the reaction is because you’re being injected with the virus and the virus has got you, and within days you’ll be on a ventilator. This isn’t the case. What you’re injected with is completely inert, and it’s impossible to get the specific symptoms of coronavirus (or respiratory issues). You just get the more generic symptoms of the immune system at work. 

Archived