Back to Normality.

1of4

Just now, Eddie said:

I felt a bit rough for 3 days, just as though I had a hangover which persisted.

The Memsahib had an achy arm for one day.

are you sure it wasn't an hangover ? Would be just desserts what with your reckless virus spreading beer buying ????

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Sith Happens said:

are you sure it wasn't an hangover ? Would be just desserts what with your reckless virus spreading beer buying ????

I've decided to finish you all off. A little more than a couple of weeks ago, I put an order in. It was impounded by HMRC and has been stuck in the UPS bonded warehouse at EMA for the last week - so close I could hear it calling to me at night. Apparently the shipper's invoice didn't show the abv on every single bottle separately, so I've had to tell them. I worked out that the alcohol duty payable on the shipment was £34.22 - they have invoiced the shipper, not me. Whether I see the beer in the next week or so is debatable.

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I've decided to finish you all off. A little more than a couple of weeks ago, I put an order in. It was impounded by HMRC and has been stuck in the UPS bonded warehouse at EMA for the last week - so close I could hear it calling to me at night. Apparently the shipper's invoice didn't show the abv on every single bottle separately, so I've had to tell them. I worked out that the alcohol duty payable on the shipment was £34.22 - they have invoiced the shipper, not me. Whether I see the beer in the next week or so is debatable.

33 quid tax to pay on one shipment! It'll be cheaper to take a trip to Belgium and collect it yourself.

Anyone know what amount of beer you can bring back after visiting an EU country?

With reference to the development and/or testing of these vaccinations (either/or), and certain doubts as to whether such processes have been adequate or not, am I right in thinking that such processes didn't just start from scratch, say in January 2020, when covid became "realised"?

Are they not just tweaks on tweaks on previous vaccines for similar past viruses?

I believe the annual flu jab is different each year, with such tweaks presumably being made within just a few months before said flu jabs are administered?

Is that correct/fair?  

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

My wife was working at the UPS warehouse until recently. Your beer is probably covered in Covid now. 

18 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

With reference to the development and/or testing of these vaccinations (either/or), and certain doubts as to whether such processes have been adequate or not, am I right in thinking that such processes didn't just start from scratch, say in January 2020, when covid became "realised"?

Are they not just tweaks on tweaks on previous vaccines for similar past viruses?

I believe the annual flu jab is different each year, with such tweaks presumably being made within just a few months before said flu jabs are administered?

Is that correct/fair?  

Yes, coronavirus is essentially a strain of flu, so they’ve just tweaked the process for the flu jab. 

the Pfizer one is pretty much a brand new way of doing it. But it was an idea they’ve been playing around with for a while, so they didn’t just start from scratch last January. 

AZ uses an adenovirus, which is a virus which is harmless to humans (it actually more commonly infects monkeys, hence conspiracy theorists saying it’ll turn you into a monkey!). They essentially disguise it as coronavirus, so it has the same proteins on the outside and teaches the immune system to deal with the real thing when it turns up. That is a method that is commonly used for the flu and other diseases. 

Pfizer is an RNA vaccine. It’s super clever. It doesn’t have any active content, not even an inert or dead virus. It just has a string of RNA. This is essentially instructions for the immune system to create the right antibodies. People are concerned that this is somehow manipulating their DNA, but it’s no more so that’s any other vaccine. At the end of the process, your immune system’s DNA has changed to include the ‘knowledge / line of code’ that tells it how to create antibodies for the coronavirus. The AZ vaccine does this by introducing the immune system to a disguised virus, which enables the immune system to write its own RNA which effects the DNA coding. The Pfizer one cuts out this middle man and just gives the immune system the RNA (ie the instructions) directly. 

If I remember correctly, they’ve both been tested on about 40,000+ people across 3 or 4 countries with zero negative effects (besides the normal side effects) before they were approved. 

What bugs me is that it’s normally young healthy people that talk to me about it not being tested enough. But by the time it gets to them, it will have been used on millions and millions of people. So if the 40,000+ isn’t enough for them as a testing cohort, surely the millions and millions of older, medically vulnerable, and health care workers that will have taken it before them should provide a decent enough sample size to alleviate any concerns. 

and frankly, if we do all drop dead from it in 5 years because of some weird, unknowable long term side effect, I’m not sure I want to be left in a world with no health care workers and just a few conspiracy theorists left to say ‘I told you so.’

having said all that, this new monkey tail I’ve got is proving to be really handy, and anyone without one is missing out. 

2 hours ago, 1of4 said:

33 quid tax to pay on one shipment! It'll be cheaper to take a trip to Belgium and collect it yourself.

Anyone know what amount of beer you can bring back after visiting an EU country?

Yes.

Approximately 120 x 33cl bottles.

On 27/02/2021 at 23:25, TigerTedd said:

I’m glad you’ve taken on board the lessons of the pandemic then. 

I doubt it will become mandatory, but it is very sensible to think in terms of preventing something like this happening again. 

I’m sure when seatbelts first came in, after a couple of weeks, people thought, ‘but I’ve not had an accident, so why am I bothering.’

or when we first started to have to take our shoes off at airports, ‘no ones tried to sneak a bomb in in their shoes for ages, so why do we still do this.’

same thing in this case, there’s not been a pandemic for 20 years, so why are we bothering to wear masks? Why are we having a jab every year?

thise who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Those other things just became the norm, it feels weird not to wear a seat belt now. 

Having said that, I don’t think masks will remain mandatory, but I do think more people will choose to wear them, and it won’t look daft, it’ll just be a normal thing. 

You want to live in a secure bubble up to you, enjoy a nanny state!

Over reaction and just another doom and gloom merchant

1 hour ago, Hathersage Ram said:

You want to live in a secure bubble up to you, enjoy a nanny state!

Over reaction and just another doom and gloom merchant

I've never liked the term "nanny state" as it's usually used when a state tries to regulate against something clearly harmful to people, with personal choice used as a cover for financial interests.

I just looked up the phrase on wikipedia and apparently it was popularised by British American Tobacco!

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of new normal we get once everything has settled down, and the majority of us are vaccinated.  As others have alluded to China have been wearing masks for years during flu season so I think we'll adapt something similar during the winter months maybe.  Saying that, wearing one to go into shops is feeling more & more less of a chore anyway.  When it all first started I could barely stand 5 minutes with one on before I was feeling weird and would whip it off as soon as one foot was outside, but now I'm half way down the road before I realise I've still got it on.

An email from our MD said they would review the return to the office by June, and I think it will be a case of if you've been vaccinated, back you go.  In some ways I'm perfectly happy to continue to work from home, but in others I think it would be good to interact with organisms that aren't my dog during the day.  The thing I'm most concerned about is gaining weight as soon as I go back, as I've taken to running during my lunch break and have dropped 1 1/2 stone since January.  But when I go back there won't be enough time to get changed, run, get changed and sit back at my desk in a presentable manner...

As for other stuff, pubs & clubs being open again isn't a massive thing for me personally as I don't go out that much anymore, but I guess it's good for the economy.  Have certainly missed the cinema though, there's nothing like the buzz seeing the BBFC certificate come up as the lights dim, and the curtain open...

I don't know about anyone else, but before the pandemic, if I got ill with a cold or with flu then I never really gave it a second thought as to how I caught it. I just regarded it as one of those things - totally random, but in future I know I'm going to be way more conscious of cleanliness and who/what I've been near

Sith Happens
6 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

I don't know about anyone else, but before the pandemic, if I got ill with a cold or with flu then I never really gave it a second thought as to how I caught it. I just regarded it as one of those things - totally random, but in future I know I'm going to be way more conscious of cleanliness and who/what I've been near

I'll be a lot more frustrated if I'm at work and someone is playing the martyr and spreading germs.

On 28/02/2021 at 12:40, TigerTedd said:

When people have reactions, apart from in the very small amount of cases where it’s an allergic reaction, and that happens almost instantly, it’s not actually the vaccine they’re reacting too. It’s there immune system working out the best way to adapt to the virus and create the appropriate antibodies. So a fever or a headache is actually your immune system going into overdrive, and you’re immune system won’t do anything to damage you (apart from in anaphylaxis) it’s not designed that way. 

everyone has a reaction of some sort, it’s part for he process of the immune system doing its job. In some people it’s a noticeable, even temporarily debilitating reaction, in others it’s not even noticeable. 

point is, a lot of people think the reaction is because you’re being injected with the virus and the virus has got you, and within days you’ll be on a ventilator. This isn’t the case. What you’re injected with is completely inert, and it’s impossible to get the specific symptoms of coronavirus (or respiratory issues). You just get the more generic symptoms of the immune system at work. 

As posted previously, I have had Covid with little effects really but was really quite ill after getting the Astrazeneca vaccination. Two other people in my team of 15 (about 7 have had the jab so far) were likewise pretty ill (raging temp, headaches) for 24-48 hours.

I did it because I want 'normality' so I really hope social distancing, mask wearing, limited numbers at events etc do not become an accepted part of society. Hopefully more acceptance of 'working from home' especially if showing signs of illness and widespread availability of rapid testing will suffice. 

Archived