The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, ramit said:

Our local Covid guru says Omicron is not just a mutation, but a brand new virus and it must be fought in a new way with new vaccines, but in the meantime it is imperative for everyone to get booster jabbed.

How do folks feel about being two years in and at the starting point again?  People were promised 95% efficacy and a way back to normality.  Was it all a pack of lies, or just widespread medical incompetence?  If the latter, then we cannot trust the words of authorities, if the former, then we cannot trust the words of authorities.

FHADmsgWUAUICtD.jpg

Or....poo happens and we have to adapt and deal with it. It's uncharted territory and a learning experience for everyone. 

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Hardly a game! The press have used this technique for decades. Garner irrefutable proof of wrongdoing, but firstly merely invite accused party to comment. Next stage, run a story citing a 'source close to' said party, alluding to wrongdoing but without outright condemnation or revealing hard evidence. Relevant party, emboldened by mistaken assumption that the press have nothing concrete, issues robust, public denial at which point the media jackals rip their throats out. In doing so, they not only prove the original transgression, they also get the added bonus of revealing the accused as a contemptible, bare-faced liar, generating a gazilion clicks in the process. To understand fully the principle reasoning, since you've asked, one need merely 'follow the money'.

As for the the anti-vaxxer story, it's being reported elsewhere too and may well gather traction over the coming days. No doubt we will now see stories emanating from some quarters suggesting it's a black flag operation designed to discredit the anti-vaxx 'movement' and create further divides.

It'll be interesting to see what degree of sophistication was used; professionally masked digital footprints (especially anything beyond mere VPNs) might add weight to the black-flag argument, though an alternative scenario is that at least some of the bookings were made by individuals who did not bother to spoof their IP addresses, or are unaware that they needed to. If this is the case, I trust the individuals concerned will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I agree with all the above ,

Its very worrying though as it’s another step towards stirring hate for anyone who doesn’t want the vaccine, now we are seeing the numbers show that the vaccinated are catching and spreading the virus too we’ve moved on to anti vaxxers actively stopping those that want the vaccine from being able to get it , 

in the climate that’s been created I really fear for where things are going 

7 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

You seem blissfully unaware that not everyone spending their days in London lives there. Perhaps immutable facts rather undermine your argument?

Respectfully yours,

A Southerner.

Don’t know how true it is but I have seen stats saying 1/3 of Londoners have not taken up the vaccine 

24 minutes ago, Archied said:

Don’t know how true it is but I have seen stats saying 1/3 of Londoners have not taken up the vaccine 

Two jabs Lambeth - 59% - Wandsworth - 63%
Two jabs -Derbyshire Dale’s - 85% - Amber Valley 84%.

I think there are more people boosted in Derbyshire than are double jabbed in London.

The Welsh Government Economy Minister Vaughan Gething has announced that from Boxing Day all sporting events will be played behind closed doors to help limit the spread of the Omicron COVID variant. This happens in England and say goodbye to Derby County Football club.

2 hours ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Two jabs Lambeth - 59% - Wandsworth - 63%
Two jabs -Derbyshire Dale’s - 85% - Amber Valley 84%.

I think there are more people boosted in Derbyshire than are double jabbed in London.

Second dose in Derby City is only 70%. Nottingham is only 60%.

I live in London and most people I know have been double/triple vaccinated. I find it hard to believe that there are so many people not getting it but numbers don't lie I guess. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

The Welsh Government Economy Minister Vaughan Gething has announced that from Boxing Day all sporting events will be played behind closed doors to help limit the spread of the Omicron COVID variant. This happens in England and say goodbye to Derby County Football club.

Unfortunately I agree.. We'll get even lower gates as people stay away as it is. 

Edited by alexxxxx

5 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I live in London and most people I know have been double/triple vaccinated. I find it hard to believe that there are so many people not getting it but numbers don't lie I guess. 

And guess what cases are very high in Nottingham. Most older people I know have had jabs too. If it is the people who haven’t bothered getting vacations making the numbers high I would say you’ve had the opportunity I don’t see why 80% of the population should have to suffer for the 20% who haven’t bothered. 

2 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

For London it is probably too late for extra measures I recon, looking at the case levels so we (UK plc) are basically using this as the measure of what will happen, then the rest of the country will be locked up or down based on the London experiment.

London is already reducing in case rates.

Gov and Media completely over reacting.

South Africa way past the peak now, and guess what, we're following a similar trend. Funny that.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Bob, with respect, this does only mean that there was no death reported on 20th December.  In the week  up to 20th December there were 4 deaths, same as previous 7 days, so an average of 4 deaths a week over last two weeks i.e. 8 deaths. 

2 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

According to the local rag, more than 40 per cent of those aged 12 and over in each of New Normanton, Rose Hill & Castleward and Normanton North & Peartree have not received their first vaccine, with over half in all three areas still not double vaccinated....we're damned to be in covid hell (trying to protect the NHS from being swamped) for evermore while there are so many people refusing the jab......

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

Bob, with respect, this does only mean that there was no death reported on 20th December.  In the week  up to 20th December there were 4 deaths, same as previous 7 days, so an average of 4 deaths a week over last two weeks i.e. 8 deaths. 

I realise that, but we have to accept that deaths have plummeted.

My wife is on her way home from the hospital after having a test because she's got a sore throat, her glands are up and a bit of a cough.

She's going to try and run a clinic from home on the phone and she's in this weird twilight world and has been for almost 2 years, so I'm not saying we should be relaxing things, I'm saying we should recognise when things change.

I also think way too many people are boxed in to one way of thinking now and will just ignore anything that may throw a different light on things.

People who are anti-vax and anti-mask irritate and annoy me because they are making it harder for the NHS, thats unequivocal. But from a death/serious illness perspective things are vastly improved.

What that actually means is open to debate though.