The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

2 hours ago, JoetheRam said:

Let's get back to living... can't remember when I stopped, but apparently I must get back to it, and quickly.

Someone obviously wants my money. I bet it's them bloody bankers and oil men. Swines.

Oh well, working from home, saving money, saving the environment, not having to see the in-laws, having more time to myself, spending more time outside, appreciating the small things, moving house, improving the house, doing more exercise... Good while it lasted but just not living.

So glad that's all over now.

Won't miss wearing a mask once or twice per week, or having to stay 2 meters away from people in the pub though.

Do you think everyones situation is identical to yours?

Do you think everyone was given the opportunity if working from home and 'saving the environment'?

Do you think everyone bought a new house to do up?

Do you think everyone is capable of going out and doing exercise?

You'd do well to take a step out of your little bubble and realise not everyone is as fortunate as yourself.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Do you think everyone was given the opportunity if working from home and 'saving the environment'?

Do you think everyone wants to work from home if they could anyway?

When I left Uni I got a job miles away from home and if it hadn't have been for office mates would have found it very difficult to make new friends or have any sort of social life, certainly to begin with - working from home would have been a very soul destroying existence.  

It might be nice if you have a settled family life etc but for a lot of people, especially younger people, mixing and meeting new people is an integral part of life.

Edited by maxjam

51 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Do you think everyone wants to work from home if they could anyway?

When I left Uni I got a job miles away from home and if it hadn't have been for office mates would have found it very difficult to make new friends or have any sort of social life, certainly to begin with - working from home would have been a very soul destroying existence.  

It might be nice if you have a settled family life etc but for a lot of people, especially younger people, mixing and meeting new people is an integral part of life.

Good post.

My wife's worked from home since last March, but last month was able to spend 2 days back in the office, before it shut again.

The difference in her mental well-being was noticeable.

Strange how many comments there are about this. I've worked from home since lockdown and it's been fine. One of my team was furloughed and the drop in pay was a bit hard but ultimately he's been fine. The rest of my team have worked through on site, and again they've been fine. The main concerns have been the usual work ones, not enough resource and too much work to do. Company profitability has been positive, we've given most office based people a better work/life balance, and we've proved that you don't need to be sat in an office to be productive. 

2 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Strange how many comments there are about this. I've worked from home since lockdown and it's been fine. One of my team was furloughed and the drop in pay was a bit hard but ultimately he's been fine. The rest of my team have worked through on site, and again they've been fine. The main concerns have been the usual work ones, not enough resource and too much work to do. Company profitability has been positive, we've given most office based people a better work/life balance, and we've proved that you don't need to be sat in an office to be productive. 

Do you have a family?  A nice house?  A reasonable lifestyle?

What about someone that lives in a noisy flat in a crappy area?  Or someone in an abusive relationship?  Or someone that lives alone miles from any family or friends?  I could go on...

Its strange how many people there are that can sit in a nice house, surrounded by family, drinking Belgium beer that don't seem to be able to understand that for others the social interactions of mixing face to face with real people is what keeps them sane. 

Sure for some people working from home is the future - personally I've done it myself for 10+ years and can't imagine going out to work for someone else ever again but I appreciate that I have a great family, a nice house and all the luxuries I want. 

I always think back to the early days of the first lockdown when Sky News ran an article about covidiots, showing a picture of a park full of people - a park that had several tower blocks in the background.  The writer obviously had no clue about anything other than his own lifestyle and the fact that for some people getting out of their home for an hour was an essential part of their day. 

For others lockdowns/working from home has been akin to solitary confinement - or worse.  Whilst productivity may have not taken a nose dive the need to get back to normal, to get out of the house and talk to real people again is paramount. 

To me its seems that the middle class twitterati minority and media classes moaning about Boris opening up again can't see beyond their own privileged lifestyles, which is why they have lost all connection with the working classes.

18 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Do you have a family?  A nice house?  A reasonable lifestyle?

What about someone that lives in a noisy flat in a crappy area?  Or someone in an abusive relationship?  Or someone that lives alone miles from any family or friends?  I could go on...

Its strange how many people there are that can sit in a nice house, surrounded by family, drinking Belgium beer that don't seem to be able to understand that for others the social interactions of mixing face to face with real people is what keeps them sane. 

Sure for some people working from home is the future - personally I've done it myself for 10+ years and can't imagine going out to work for someone else ever again but I appreciate that I have a great family, a nice house and all the luxuries I want. 

I always think back to the early days of the first lockdown when Sky News ran an article about covidiots, showing a picture of a park full of people - a park that had several tower blocks in the background.  The writer obviously had no clue about anything other than his own lifestyle and the fact that for some people getting out of their home for an hour was an essential part of their day. 

For others lockdowns/working from home has been akin to solitary confinement - or worse.  Whilst productivity may have not taken a nose dive the need to get back to normal, to get out of the house and talk to real people again is paramount. 

To me its seems that the middle class twitterati minority and media classes moaning about Boris opening up again can't see beyond their own privileged lifestyles, which is why they have lost all connection with the working classes.

Isn't it a little bit presumptive of you claiming it just the middle class twitterati that are moaning about Johnson. Many working class people are just as annoyed with him over stopping the compulsory wearing of masks, especially those that have to now use public transport alongside others not wearing a mask.

12 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Isn't it a little bit presumptive of you claiming it just the middle class twitterati that are moaning about Johnson. Many working class people are just as annoyed with him over stopping the compulsory wearing of masks, especially those that have to now use public transport alongside others not wearing a mask.

Two different things... I was talking about Boris 'recklessly lifting all restrictions' and ending the working from home - which is something the middle classes currently enjoy.

The working classes, the proper working classes have been the ones driving buses, delivering shopping, working on the factory floor throughout the pandemic.  The sort of person that doesn't live in the suburbs and gets called a covidiot cos they can't get their hour of fresh air a day in the back garden.

Edited by maxjam

10 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Why do you find it strange that people are putting across an alternative view?

I keep hearing from many how great it is working from home and how productive people are, I'm finding the complete opposite and find many hours of my week just trying to contact institutions that I used to be able to get straight through to before all of this.

4 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I keep hearing from many how great it is working from home and how productive people are, I'm finding the complete opposite and find many hours of my week just trying to contact institutions that I used to be able to get straight through to before all of this.

Yea but on the upside we can now get great table service 

23 hours ago, TexasRam said:

But if the cases/hospitalisation ratio is now close to flu (I don’t know if it is or isn’t) then why don’t we measure and communicate flu cases? I just think living with Covid means it doesn’t have to be measured and promoted at on every media channel going. 
Doesn’t the data also show the effects of Covid don’t negatively effect the under 40s (obviously there are some unfortunate cases) and those it does effect eg the vulnerable under 40 should of been protected by the vaccinations.  

I don't know if it is close to flu or not. I do agree that potentially it isn't helpful for the media to keep quoting the numbers on the daily, particularly as they fluctuate day to day anyway but keeping the data there for all to see is important. The data collection and provision is very good and detailed. 

On your second point, I know a few younger people whove been impacted badly by covid and the range of illness they've had varied from a couple of days with no energy watching telly to being quite ill, months without taste and smell. Anecdotally friends of friends been hospitalised for pneumonia and because oxygen levels have dropped too low.

I don't like being told that because the odds are more in my favour, the very real risk of bad illness is completely fine to take in my case. Feels like we've had to give up a lot of freedoms but we don't even get the opportunity to be properly protected before 'letting it rip. '

It is clear that almost everyone will get covid now... I can't see how cases will go down until mid August. 

Anyway I am a bit hypocritical because I almost certainly will be taking some advantage of the changes in regulations... If venues can remain open with the amount of self isolation required.. 

23 hours ago, maxjam said:

I think that most people have had the chance to get at least 1 jab now, and Boris mentioned yesterday that they were reducing the gap between 1st and 2nd jabs to 8 weeks so that everyone could get both well before any potential winter spike.

One jab has shown to be quite ineffective though. I know people whove been infected and got quite ill after one vaccine. The new variant is much more evasive. That's why you can't get a certificate until you've got two. 

Its been bookable to 8 weeks for about 3 weeks - it isn't new news, but boris needed to say something positive about dose spacing as its a long time. 

Edited by alexxxxx

27 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

I don't know if it is close to flu or not. I do agree that potentially it isn't helpful for the media to keep quoting the numbers on the daily, particularly as they fluctuate day to day anyway but keeping the data there for all to see is important. The data collection and provision is very good and detailed. 

On your second point, I know a few younger people whove been impacted badly by covid and the range of illness they've had varied from a couple of days with no energy watching telly to being quite ill, months without taste and smell. Anecdotally friends of friends been hospitalised for pneumonia and because oxygen levels have dropped too low.

I don't like being told that because the odds are more in my favour, the very real risk of bad illness is completely fine to take in my case. Feels like we've had to give up a lot of freedoms but we don't even get the opportunity to be properly protected before 'letting it rip. '

It is clear that almost everyone will get covid now... I can't see how cases will go down until mid August. 

Anyway I am a bit hypocritical because I almost certainly will be taking some advantage of the changes in regulations... If venues can remain open with the amount of self isolation required.. 

There are some pretty key points in there about what is probably gonna happen:

a) Case numbers are going to be massive over the summer now. Whilst the government won't say what their modelling is predicting, they have said 100k cases per day is likely.

b) Whilst the majority of unvaccinated people are younger and less vulnerable, there will still be a rise in deaths and hospitalisations (again no modelling released by government). As @alexxxxx mentions above, Covid does impact younger people. Hopefully the number of tragic deaths of young people will be extremely low.

c) Hospitality is staffed mainly by young people. Lots of the staff will get Covid and the others will have to self isolate. If you think the 19th is gonna give us freedom to go and do whatever we want, you might be disappointed.

But if we don't fully reopen now, then when? How about in a few weeks when all adults could be vaccinated?

2 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

a) Case numbers are going to be massive over the summer now. Whilst the government won't say what their modelling is predicting, they have said 100k cases per day is likely.

b) Whilst the majority of unvaccinated people are younger and less vulnerable, there will still be a rise in deaths and hospitalisations (again no modelling released by government). As @alexxxxx mentions above, Covid does impact younger people. Hopefully the number of tragic deaths of young people will be extremely low.

c) Hospitality is staffed mainly by young people. Lots of the staff will get Covid and the others will have to self isolate. If you think the 19th is gonna give us freedom to go and do whatever we want, you might be disappointed.

But if we don't fully reopen now, then when? How about in a few weeks when all adults could be vaccinated?

Yea i mean i still doubt (m)any younger folk will die because of it, but don't rule out long term health issues. 

I think the government bet too big on AZ vaccine and a couple of others which haven't got approval yet. This has lead to only a minor trickle of Pfizer and Moderna vaccines unfortunately meaning big hold ups. I'm sure they thought earlier on in the vaccination programme they'd have been able to hit that last date. If you look at the latest vaccine data from Europe, some countries have nearly caught up as their supply has been more consistent. 

the gov probably think that if they were to delay reopening further, it would have little impact but might push some infections coinciding with increase in flu cases in autumn which wouldnt be helpful either. Difficult decision. 

25 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

How about in a few months / years when all children have been vaccinated?

what we’ve learnt is that dependant on what covid / lockdowns , regulations has brought for each individual ( apart from a few ) and the level of fear produced and maintained in people , the old carrot and stick , there’s a lot of people happily sitting pretty chomping carrots while others are being beaten with big sticks , it’s no secret that behavioural scientists have been very much utilised from the start by government amongst other tactics to condition people , we have divide and rule at its very best but under the badge of we are all in this together , do those eating carrots really not see the stick beatings or do they turn a blind eye to keep the carrots? God knows ,all I know is people who would historically be the first to be interested in the welfare of others seem to have gone deaf ,dumb and blind

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Work life balance.. Hmmm. As an employer, I’m laughing really. With technology nowadays I can see who is logged on and when. Some are good at managing their time, other not so much. People are starting work earlier and finishing later. They feel it’s expected of them but their homes are their homes. I am now having trouble getting people to log off. 
What used to be a 2 min conversation with someone in the office, is now a 30 min Teams call. The days are getting longer because things take longer. I am now starting to question the whole working from home thing. I was pro a hybrid version previously but now I think there should be a clear break between work and home. Most are not really set up to work from home anyway.. perched on a kitchen top or using the dressing table is really not acceptable.. People with a study or any sort of home office dedicated space, okay I can see it. Shut the door and crack on.

Home working will evolve I’m sure, just not sure about it now.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Hospitality is staffed mainly by young people

Serious question have you got stats to back that up?