The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

Whilst I would have thought that, too, it has been stated that the recent covid hospitalisations in Bolton have been much younger people than previous waves.

As long as these people keep going to hospitals for treatment then public health people are going to be worried. 

From the Beeb 5 days ago (have left the last sentence in but I don't see where their logic for the final statement comes from, as even more people get vaccinated).

"There are just under 1,000 people with coronavirus in hospitals in the UK, up about 5% from a low point a week ago.

That's far below the peak of nearly 40,000 people in January. And NHS Providers say the people who are going in aren't as seriously ill as they were in early waves. They are younger, or don't require intensive care as much - and they're coming out sooner.

That means this wave is different, and better, than previous ones but eventually rising admissions will mount up."

44 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

From the Beeb 5 days ago (have left the last sentence in but I don't see where their logic for the final statement comes from, as even more people get vaccinated).

"There are just under 1,000 people with coronavirus in hospitals in the UK, up about 5% from a low point a week ago.

That's far below the peak of nearly 40,000 people in January. And NHS Providers say the people who are going in aren't as seriously ill as they were in early waves. They are younger, or don't require intensive care as much - and they're coming out sooner.

That means this wave is different, and better, than previous ones but eventually rising admissions will mount up."

I have been reading some detail that the cases could hit 100k a day and that the numbers are doubling every 9 days but the graphs im looking at dont seem to suggest that.

We were hitting 6k a day 9 days ago and now its around 7-8k. My maths might not be great but 6*2 isnt 7.5.

12 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

I have been reading some detail that the cases could hit 100k a day and that the numbers are doubling every 9 days but the graphs im looking at dont seem to suggest that.

We were hitting 6k a day 9 days ago and now its around 7-8k. My maths might not be great but 6*2 isnt 7.5.

That's cases, if there's limited hospitalisation and deaths so what?

6 minutes ago, MrPlinkett said:

yes I agree, I'm just commenting that the cases, to me, don't look to be accelerating as the expert/media are stating.

Ah I see, I guess they're showing worst cases scenarios else no-one would panic.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's cases, if there's limited hospitalisation and deaths so what?

Exactly. And now the restrictions have been extended for another 4 weeks? Why? Look at how many people we have vaccinated. The old and vulnerable have had both jabs. What is the problem now? It's got to the point where the effects of lockdown and these restrictions are greater than covid. 

Johnson has seen nothing in the data to suggest that we won't be able to open up in 4 weeks time. But a few days ago, he could see nothing in the data that we couldn't open up on 21st June.

He's doing a terrible job of explaining why 4 weeks is necessary. They've been leaking this for weeks, can't they make a clear and compelling case if one exists.

Please someone ask about the G7 huge party.

4 hours ago, BucksRam said:

OK, I may be biased as someone with a vulnerable wife, but I'm OK with deferring the wholescale reopening as it's likely doing so will create a huge rise in cases.  We're all supposedly following restrictions now, and most still are (rule of 6 / 2 families etc) but I've seen loads of people mingling as if life is normal.  Cases in my area (Aylesbury Vale) continue to rise, and currently stand at around 330 live cases, up by over a 100 on last week.....and obviously that's only those tested or reported.  Cases have been rising consistently since the May lift of restrictions.  If delaying it provides opportunity for x million more to get vaccinated then this makes perfect sense. 

There's still a scary amount of ignorance out there too; only this morning I saw a post from one of my Facebook "friends" arguing that the lockdown should be lifted as most people have had 2 jabs and are therefore immune and so it's OK for them to go about their business, indeed it's their right to do so, as they won't a) catch it and b) pass it on.  No, no, no.  It's thinking like this that backs up any decision to defer lifting all restrictions IMO. 

At some point we're absolutely going to have to just accept and live with this virus, as we do with the flu, but we're no-where near that point yet due to the current lack of understanding and experience around all the variants and mutations.  Flu still mutates but we've had decades to understand it and tailor vaccines accordingly.  Much as we've done an amazing job developing and rolling out vaccines for COVID it is still early days.  

Using a Health Foundation report as a source, in a bad flu year the UK sees between 25000 - 30000 deaths (flu and pneumonia combined) - that equates to some 250,000 life years lost (i.e. how much longer those people would have lived had they not died). 

With COVID, since March 2020, in the UK alone, COVID related deaths have resulted in the loss of around 1,500,000 life years - 6 times the amount.  

Only one report, I agree but it's quite a powerful message. So if BJ decides to defer for 4 weeks, I for one will comply even if, like most, I too want to get back to complete normality.

Excellent post @BucksRam.  Particularly the point about ignorance.  We’re seeing cases growing with some restrictions in place, if they were lifted completely then they would grow even more.  Also, the more it spreads, the greater the risk of another variant coming into circulation.  Personally, whilst nothing can be guaranteed, it’s better to wait a month rather have a lockdown in a couple of months time.

You may not need to be stupid to be a journalist but obviously it helps:

Jason Groves at the Daily Mail asks Prof Whitty if he is as confident as the PM that 19 July will be the end of all restrictions in England. 

He asks the PM if he can give a "cast iron guarantee that this will be the last delay" provided no new variants of concern turn up.

How can anybody possibly give a cast iron guarantee regardless of whether new variants turn up?

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

You may not need to be stupid to be a journalist but obviously it helps:

Jason Groves at the Daily Mail asks Prof Whitty if he is as confident as the PM that 19 July will be the end of all restrictions in England. 

He asks the PM if he can give a "cast iron guarantee that this will be the last delay" provided no new variants of concern turn up.

How can anybody possibly give a cast iron guarantee regardless of whether new variants turn up?

Why would anyone, there's bound to be a new variant, it's how viruses work.

No problem with a 4 week delay.  Boris is actually showing some balls for a change. 

It's only clubbers, those with a wedding booked, and folk who feel entitled to a 10 day all inclusive in Majorca, every year, who're pissing & moaning anyway...

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

No problem with a 4 week delay.  Boris is actually showing some balls for a change. 

It's only clubbers, those with a wedding booked, and folk who feel entitled to a 10 day all inclusive in Majorca, every year, who're pissing & moaning anyway...

And those caged up in prisons who are months behind the outside in terms of everything. Not that most would care about the violence and self-harm apart from those who work in those environments. 

Another few crucial summer months lost for wedding venues, hospitality, nightclubs, pubs wanting a big football crowd in etc etc. The economy needs this summer. Then add in cinemas and theatres that are hanging on. 

I just haven't got the time for people who think people only moan because they want to go on holiday. 

Edited by Norman

19 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Nope none of the above , it’s only the working from home , those on pensions , those better off and happier with restrictions , those scared witless that are clamouring to be cradled / controlled ??‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

Nope none of the above , it’s only the working from home , those on pensions , those better off and happier with restrictions , those scared witless that are clamouring to be cradled / controlled ??‍♂️

Who can possibly be happy with restrictions?!?!?!?  I'm as hacked off about having to wear face masks, not being able to see my family all at one time, and not being able to nip out for a bite to eat without booking 3 days in advance as anybody else, but I'd gladly take another 4 weeks of doing so if it meant we stood a better chance of not having to do it again in 4 months time...

Edited by ramsbottom

28 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Try looking a little deeper why don't you?

Edited by RoyMac5