What was the daftest thing Cocu did?

RamNut

His style was to confusing for the players, his Dutch style as some refer too has been a success in the Netherlands but he’s struggled elsewhere, he needed to adapt but never did.

having to accept Rooney was probably hard for him he probably knew he’d be replaced by Wayne at some point and he never really got backed the big money players has been our best player by far but unfortunately has woeful knees, Byrne Jozwaik Marshall he actually made some good signings. 

Will always have respect for him though seemed a top bloke was hoping it would work out.

one thing though is isn’t it time to change the photo at the front of the stadium? Cocu Max lowe on it sure Bogle is somewhere aswell just replace them all with pictures of CKR

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put the kids in against Forest, they learned nothing that day and we were comprehensively beaten by our local rivals. That was enough to turn people against him already, if there’s one thing you do at a club it’s always play your best team against your rivals and go out to win the game.

Did himself no favours that afternoon.

Bad for the kids, bad for the club. Was a really poor decision 

Not pushing Kazim into the starting line up as soon as possible. Cocu made an excellent call bringing him to the club having seen him at Feyenoord but failed to grasp the urgency of a focal point to convert our good performances (Forest/Bournemouth etc) into wins. The first thing Rooney did was give Kazim his full debut & we've not looked back since.

Huddersfield away stood out for me. Kazim (still to make a start), Waghorn & Hector-Ingram on the bench with Lawrence as a false 9. Far too intricate for the Championship. Predictably we played in front of Huddersfield all night & the service became increasingly dire as we realised there was no-one to aim at. The defeat felt inevitable once they scored.

3 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

? fair enough I will probably just reduce my occasional posting to a lesser degree 

Now, now. Just a bit of banter mate. I quite like your psychobabble posts even if they make no sense at all. The notion that the British suffer from some sort of 'passive inferiority complex' is borderline comedy genius.

Daftest thing he did? Agree to the Rooney deal.

Well, it was probably trying to play a style fit for teams like Ajax and Barcelona instead. It was a beautiful idea, but it didn’t work in the Championship. It rarely does.

He was perhaps naive to think it would, and I, and supporters like me, naive to think it would, too. But I’m pretty sure that’s exactly why Mel brought him in; to inject that Dutch style into the team and the academy; to try and recapture the Dutch-inspired football of McClaren, so he’s probably not entirely to blame for that. 

Not walking when half a dozen news outlets reported that Rooney was sounding out potential coaches behind his back to come in when he took over. Nasty business that and something I've still not entirely forgiven. Perhaps the remaining saltiness will fade if Rooney manages to turn things around fully, which, in fairness, I think he is well on the way to achieving.

14 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not walking when half a dozen news outlets reported that Rooney was sounding out potential coaches behind his back to come in when he took over. Nasty business that and something I've still not entirely forgiven. Perhaps the remaining saltiness will fade if Rooney manages to turn things around fully, which, in fairness, I think he is well on the way to achieving.

Couldn’t agree more with this assessment, @86 Hair Islands

I also think PC will definitely go on to be successful somewhere else in time. Perhaps either back in his native Holland or maybe in Italy, where his style of football might be better suited.

Either way, I hope he does well. He was an incredibly stoic and exemplary character and put up with a lot of nonsense during his time at our club. He dealt with the drink driving fiasco fantastically and he did some brilliant things throughout COVID.

Some of the disrespect and dare I say loaded comments made by some fans about him now doesn’t sit right with me at all. But each to their own, I suppose. 

23 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

That’s making the massive assumption that those tabloid stories were remotely true. 

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Now, now. Just a bit of banter mate. I quite like your psychobabble posts even if they make no sense at all. The notion that the British suffer from some sort of 'passive inferiority complex' is borderline comedy genius.

On the assumption you’re British (you may not be of course) there’s a delightful dollop of unintended irony in your post.

As others have said, the inflexibility in approach.

Take what the team is, try to add some of the benefits of the Dutch approach without taking away it's virtues as a championship side. If he could've evolved a basically fine set of championship players it *might* have been more successful, probably more than "whatever you did before, not now, now we go Dutch"

My suspicion is we were probably going to have a rough season whoever was in charge, but he kept not helping himself at every turn and seemed to be the lightning to do for bad luck.

Fine gentleman, but wrong job for him. Hope he rebuilds his reputation in Holland.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

He dealt with the drink driving fiasco fantastically

Not sure how you conclude that. 

he made huddlestone captain in the immediate aftermath before having to cancel that. He picked Lawrence and Bennett at the first opportunity. 
many mistook silence for wisdom and maturity when it was possibly just more weakness and indecisiveness.

Archived