What was the daftest thing Cocu did?

RamNut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Duracell said:

A lot of assumptions about CKR having been fully fit to start games when Cocu was around. I don’t think he’d had a very intensive pre-season.

Overall, I feel Cocu made more positive decisions than daft ones. His strike rate in the transfer market was good, and finishing 10th last season was no disaster. The path to the first team from young players has never looked clearer, and he genuinely embedded a number of players into the first team. Knight and Buchanan’s improvements under Cocu have arguably saved us from the relegation zone.

I think he massively underestimated the task at hand. The only teams I can really think of having been promoted with a truly non-British style have  been Swansea over a decade ago, and then probably Norwich under Farke 1.0, Leeds last season (although does running loads count as foreign?!) and...maybe I’m struggling after that.

The only players who really performed under Cocu were the young, malleable players who hadn’t picked up habits he was trying to break and were perhaps more prone to feedback and new ideas.

When you look at the fact we were trying to play a relentlessly short-passing game with no playmakers and players like Shinnie, Lawrence, Waghorn and Forsyth at CB at times, it’s no wonder it didn’t work. 

In hindsight, it was really daft to come to a club needing a complete overhaul of playing staff without a budget and new backroom staff. 

So devils advocate 

if it wasn’t working .... why did he persist with it 

surely that was his greatest failing to either acknowledge or do anything about this

he left us at the foot of the table ..... fortunately he left before hopefully it’s too late

weve Rectified the situation as it stands but as of tonight theres still a lot to do  

Do u think if he had been allowed to continue and results had stayed as they were he would have changed it ? Anything ? 
I think we all know the answer 

Archived