What was the daftest thing Cocu did?

RamNut

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He tried to impose an overly technical and detail heavy style of play on to a group of players that were either unwilling or unable to implement it. 

I think he'd make a great director of football, or technical director. He knows the game and at a high level he could help put together a really good structure for youth progression within a club. 

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Wouldn't have changed things that much we'd have just developed different ones.

It would have made a big difference. You saw the difference when Rooney became manager and put Bielik in there. If Cocu put Shinnie in a similar role it would have made things better, as we would have had a shield for the defence. Not to the same extent of course, but still better.

I’m not sure there was a single thing you would highlight as being daft. For me, as it seems to be with other Dutch managers looking to implement the total football philosophy into the English game, it’s how absolute they are in their approach. Guardiola and Klopp have both described how they absorb themselves in the culture of British football and created their own  anglicised version of the footballing philosophy they’ve used in other countries. Cocu and other Dutch managers always seem to take the a patient and consistent approach but unwilling to adapt it for other cultures. There is a weird passive superiority complex that exists where it starts out that that these deep thinkers of the game are going to come along and show the dumb knuckle dragging brits what real football is all about. On the flip side is Brits adopt a passive inferiority  complex and buy into an narrative that we’re rubbish and awful and need an enlightened cousin of the continent to illuminate the way. 

3 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

There is a weird passive superiority complex that exists where it starts out that that these deep thinkers of the game are going to come along and show the dumb knuckle dragging brits what real football is all about. On the flip side is Brits adopt a passive inferiority  complex and buy into an narrative that we’re rubbish and awful and need an enlightened cousin of the continent to illuminate the way. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

He tried to impose an overly technical and detail heavy style of play on to a group of players that were either unwilling or unable to implement it. 

I think he'd make a great director of football, or technical director. He knows the game and at a high level he could help put together a really good structure for youth progression within a club. 

This.

He misjudged both the qualities of the team and the division - and seemed unable or unwilling to change his ways.  Its not a leap to think that he would have taken us down.

Seemed like a decent bloke though and as you suggest think he would make a better Director of Football/Technical Director. 

The daftest thing Cocu did was plough on regardless with his personal implementation of the teams tactics and playing style when quite clearly it wasn't working - am sure he was intelligent enough to interpret a league table.

I'm all for one for someone sticking to their principles but not when they are being totally dogmatic and denying the reality of the situation they have created. 

Maybe the bare facts are he was unable to tactically set his team up in a different way which diverged from his own footballing philosophy, who knows. 

Archived