What was the daftest thing Cocu did?

RamNut

He didn’t bring in enough of his own people, whether that be players, coaches or key people behind the scenes. He walked into our set up and was too gentlemanly to shake things up.

He leaned far too much on the ‘expertise’ that was already here, people who unfortunately ended up working against him rather than in support of him and his aims.

In reality he should have taken control of everything from day one and made sure everything was in sync - coaching, scouting, recruitment, the works. Often we thought to ourselves: what does Cocu know about Player X? Did Cocu sign Player Y? Did Cocu ask for Coach Z? Intuitively it always felt that those decisions were taken out of his hands.

Some managers can get people to buy in, some managers need to actively take control, bring in people that understand what they want and people who complement their vision and as such no buy-in is necessary.

He spent too much time fighting the tide.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Rampage said:

He made some brilliant signings, half the team.

He behaved like a gentleman.

He left for less money than he had to.

Conclusion - great guy but it did not work out for him. Thank you Phillip

This......great post 

Either letting strikers go, or not playing them when we were crying out for replacements and quality in the final 3rd from before we kicked a ball.

We started light up top, we remained light up top, we probably still are by 1 or 2 but the damage was done and we couldn't score. In this division most of the time you will concede at least 1 so you need to be able to score, we couldn't and he paid the price. 

12 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Not pushing Kazim into the starting line up as soon as possible. Cocu made an excellent call bringing him to the club having seen him at Feyenoord but failed to grasp the urgency of a focal point to convert our good performances (Forest/Bournemouth etc) into wins. The first thing Rooney did was give Kazim his full debut & we've not looked back since.

Huddersfield away stood out for me. Kazim (still to make a start), Waghorn & Hector-Ingram on the bench with Lawrence as a false 9. Far too intricate for the Championship. Predictably we played in front of Huddersfield all night & the service became increasingly dire as we realised there was no-one to aim at. The defeat felt inevitable once they scored.

I actually think it was the first thing McClaren did when he came in. In Rooney and Rosenior's first game at Bristol City Kazim wasn't even on the bench, in the following game he came on at half time for Waghorn at Boro then after that he started every game I believe (Boro was McClaren's first game back at the club)

Credit to Rooney and co for utilising him so well since

6 hours ago, Jourdan said:

He didn’t bring in enough of his own people, whether that be players, coaches or key people behind the scenes. He walked into our set up and was too gentlemanly to shake things up.

He spent too much time fighting the tide.

Surely it should therefore be that he was too trusting. Spent too much time going with the flow?

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Surely it should therefore be that he was too trusting. Spent too much time going with the flow?

And yet 'word' was that he was a stubborn manager.

His daftest mistake was assuming that the setup in English football was going to allow him to manage in a similar manner to how he did back home. 

Edit: he's starting to be re-invented as Derby's Mother Theresa!!!

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Not sure how you conclude that. 

he made huddlestone captain in the immediate aftermath before having to cancel that. He picked Lawrence and Bennett at the first opportunity. 
many mistook silence for wisdom and maturity when it was possibly just more weakness and indecisiveness.

And then took the captaincy from Huddlestone when further evidence came out. Not sure what you wanted him to do at that stage. Huddlestone let him down just like Keogh, Lawrence and Bennett did. 

Playing Bennett and Lawrence was always going to be contentious. If they weren't having their contracts cancelled, then they were going to have to come back into the side at some point. How much time has to be left? It's subjective. Worth remembering we were struggling at the time and losing Lawrence was big. 

I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone's reading of Cocu during that time was "weak and indecisive" - but then again, you have started a topic called "What was the daftest thing Cocu did?" - so perhaps not that surprised. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I'd be genuinely surprised if anyone's reading of Cocu during that time was "weak and indecisive" - but then again, you have started a topic called "What was the daftest thing Cocu did?" - so perhaps not that surprised. 

He appeared weak and indecisive from day 1.

he seemed to have no more idea of his best team after 60 games than he did after 6.
And thats before we mention the R word. 

9 hours ago, RamNut said:

Not sure how you conclude that. 

he made huddlestone captain in the immediate aftermath before having to cancel that. He picked Lawrence and Bennett at the first opportunity. 
many mistook silence for wisdom and maturity when it was possibly just more weakness and indecisiveness.

Given Lawrence had a largely very good season last year you could argue he managed him and his fairly unique situation perfectly?

Picking Bennett was a mistake but that had nothing to do with the drink driving. He’s just crap.

Of course if Beilik hadn’t of done his ACL the first time then I doubt we’d be talking about Cocu in the past tense.

Sibley Knight Buchanan are all regular first teamers now due to Cocu trusting them.

He was however daft not to give CKR his run in the team earlier.

33 minutes ago, 24Charlie said:

Of course if Beilik hadn’t of done his ACL the first time then I doubt we’d be talking about Cocu in the past tense.

Sibley Knight Buchanan are all regular first teamers now due to Cocu trusting them.

He was however daft not to give CKR his run in the team earlier.

I am not sure CKR was fit and ready to play at that time. In the first games that he started, he was done in by about 60mins

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Too trusting, absolutely. How many times did we suggest he was being let down during his tenure - by the players, by the coaches, by the recruitment team, by Mel? Numerous times.

Too relaxed and happy to go with the flow? Again, definitely we can say that. If he had been more assertive, there’s no way we sign Rooney or spend practically all of our budget on Bielik, for example.

When I say he spent too much time fighting with the tide, I mean look at all the things people suggest undermined him in his time at the club. When did it ever feel harmonious? When did it ever feel like this was Cocu’s team and that he had everyone behind him and his vision? 

It’s a bit disappointing when you look back and see that our two best runs of form in recent times have coincided with Rooney coming in as a player and then Rooney coming in as manager.

It makes you wonder: did the players ever at any point buy into what Cocu wanted?

17 hours ago, Derbados said:

Put the kids in against Forest, they learned nothing that day and we were comprehensively beaten by our local rivals. That was enough to turn people against him already, if there’s one thing you do at a club it’s always play your best team against your rivals and go out to win the game.

Did himself no favours that afternoon.

Bad for the kids, bad for the club. Was a really poor decision 

This was gong to be my shout.  I think a large number of the knuckle draggers, who go on about "pashun for da shirt" had his card marked from that moment on, and didn't give him an inch of slack...

Obviously there are others -

Refusal do adapt the style of play to better suit players/league.   

Worrying a little too much about nullifying the opposition instead of imposing our game on them.

Shoehorning R Wayne into the line up when it was crystal clear to everyone we played better without him.

Freezing out players like Shinnie for apparently not being technical enough.

Archived