Wycombe v Derby, Tuesday 16th February

Kinder

Just had a peek at a Wycombe forum. They all reckon that's the best they have played this season and one poster even referred to it as 'silky football'. 

If that's their idea of silky football then they don't know what silky football is. That match was a Sunday League special. Scrappy, hard work, hoofball, ugly.

Fair play to them for battling hard, but if that's as well as they can play then I'm not surprised they are rock bottom. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, sometimes our fans are just plain weird.  We lose to a poor side trying to play an expansive style and we jump all over it, begging for a more pragmatic approach.  Now we beat a poor side, playing more pragmatically and we jump all over it.  Seems that no matter how we play, or no matter what the result is, folk will moan regardless...

I know we all thought the team should've been fighting at the other end of the table at this point in the season (not sure why...), but we're not, we're still in a relegation scrap, so the only thing that matters, especially against teams in and around us, is winning.  We won last night, so let's just be happy about it...

10 hours ago, Andicis said:

The freekick hit the post and fortunately landed for Wisdom. It was a fluke. The corner today wasn't near a single Derby player and should have been dealt with comfortably. My point is about open play regardless, I just don't think he offers enough. You mentioning 4 goals of which Waghorn got quite lucky for isn't really a compelling case. 

Getting quite lucky for one goal i will give you but getting quite lucky in assisting 4 goals , behave yourself , Waggy works very hard for the team , he never shirks or hides away , cant understand some of the comments about him

9 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Getting quite lucky for one goal i will give you but getting quite lucky in assisting 4 goals , behave yourself , Waggy works very hard for the team , he never shirks or hides away , cant understand some of the comments about him

Whilst it was lucky the ball fell nicely to Wisdom, how many times this season have we hit the woodwork and the ball has unluckily fell into space or to one of the opposition players for an easy clearance? Luck works both ways.

As for Waggy's corner, there was some viscous swerve on that delivery, and somebody was going to get their head on it, just glad it was that big bully!

Sorry, premier ram, maybe should have quoted the op, not you.

9 hours ago, LazloW said:

We were lucky to get the win. Not a very good performance against a poor side, who played to our weaknesses in terms of physical play and getting balls into box. Also made the most of a fussy ref to get lots and lots of free kicks.

However, I’ve seen a few over the top And hyperbolic comments about how bad we were (mostly on Twitter, which is to be expected). It was an ugly game, but we created a few decent chances in amongst the dross... and we kept going and won. Not something we can always say. So, chins up.

Also seen the odd comment along the lines of ‘Rooney’s worst performance’. Well, first off he can’t go out there and play for them - as the cliche goes. In terms of selection, at least I could see the logic, even if I personally wouldn’t have rested the full backs. There have been many selections over the years where the logic is completely opaque. So no massive complaints from me, and there wouldn’t have been either if we’d lost - though obviously the result makes it easier to say that.

Luck, Fortunate both come to mind, It was a game of high ball on a hard pitch with a Ref who sells his trade in the Premier League, Fussy is not what i'd use, Mostly generous to Wycombe with poor decisions against both teams.

CKR had 2 good chances, 1st half putting an effort wide when he and Jozwiak both went for the ball and the header at the death, When playing Wycombe you know what your getting, Plenty of crosses into our box, It's how you defend and come out with the ball that sets the pattern of play.

With Wycombe winning 3-2 at Hudds it gave them a lift, Nowt to lose against a sleeping giant like us, A team talk of "go out and get em" will upset the balance, It nearly did a couple of times, But Wycombe aren't down with the dead man for nowt, They're a poor team that's making the most of life in the Championship.

As for the game...truely awfull on the eye, Wisdom a shampoo of a performance above everyone else even tho still having the ability to give the ball to a blue shirt.

Did we deserve to win?, Well the hole purpose of football is to score more than the opposition, We did that so we move on to Watford, We can play alot better than we did, Warford can hurt us, Equelly we can hurt them.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Whilst it was lucky the ball fell nicely to Wisdom, how many times this season have we hit the woodwork and the ball has unluckily fell into space or to one of the opposition players for an easy clearance? Luck works both ways.

As for Waggy's corner, there was some viscous swerve on that delivery, and somebody was going to get their head on it, just glad it was that big bully!

Now that Rooney doesn’t play Waghorn has by far the best delivery from set pieces and let’s be fair we now look a threat from set pieces which is actually nice to see

10 hours ago, Uptherams said:

The biggest lesson of this game is that you play your strongest lineup. It was clear that he was resting players for Watford. You don't do that in this league. We aren't Man U. All eyes on your current fixture because bottom of the league can be tougher than top of the league. Nothing is guaranteed. 

and yet the records show 3 points

19 minutes ago, angieram said:

I see Waggy is getting 3 and 4s out of ten and some deem him to be the worst player on the pitch.  Don't get me wrong he is an average Champ player but, as they say, they must have been watching a different game to me

11 hours ago, Uptherams said:

The biggest lesson of this game is that you play your strongest lineup. It was clear that he was resting players for Watford. You don't do that in this league. We aren't Man U. All eyes on your current fixture because bottom of the league can be tougher than top of the league. Nothing is guaranteed. 

Our full backs weren't being rested, Rooney stated on the interview he started Mengi and Fozzy for their height with an eye on Wycombe and their long balls. Apart from those two he's picked our first choices?

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I see Waggy is getting 3 and 4s out of ten and some deem him to be the worst player on the pitch.  Don't get me wrong he is an average Champ player but, as they say, they must have been watching a different game to me

Lawrence has been missing for so long that people have had to find a new scapegoat.

11 hours ago, angieram said:

I can't understand when we've snatched a last minute win in a bloody difficult match  that posters are lining up to have a dig, either at individual players, the manager, or the team as a whole.

It's almost like it's more important for you to prove your status as an amateur FM genius than it is for you to jump up and down, celebrate with the players and take the win with a big grin on your face.

We've come out of matches this season where we have played ten times better than that with zero points so I am not going to complain when we're the ones coming away with the points.

I'm not sure some people understand that it's the Manager's job to do that and it's our job to get behind the team.

We kept going tonight until the final whistle and we won. Fact.

Lots and lots of support coming in for you with this one @angieram but listening to Rooney he was really angry, thought we were really disappointing, played poor football, didn't use the space, he would have taken a point with 10mins left and felt we didn't look after the ball. 

Obviously there are always a few who go overboard but I thought it was Sunday league football and we stole the points. Totally chuffed and don't really care but saying the game as you see it, is surely the point? 

In my opinion, social media/forum opinions tend to be ‘what someone actually thinks’ x 10. For effect and likes and all that.

Have to say though I can’t work out why as a fan of your club you can’t just enjoy that last night. I just think back to games like that we should have picked up results! All I thought after the game last night was that we needed some of that character at Luton away last season (don’t know why that game sticks out as an especially crappy night but it does).

So yeah, just bloody enjoy it because it can get worse!

5 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Lots and lots of support coming in for you with this one @angieram but listening to Rooney he was really angry, thought we were really disappointing, played poor football, didn't use the space, he would have taken a point with 10mins left and felt we didn't look after the ball. 

Obviously there are always a few who go overboard but I thought it was Sunday league football and we stole the points. Totally chuffed and don't really care but saying the game as you see it, is surely the point? 

It's Rooney's job to react like that... and his professional reputation on the line.

It's down to us to sit back with a sigh of relief, or sit laughing our heads off, or jumping around the living room celebrating.

Would we have booed at the final whistle, had we been there?  Or even skulked away to the car park with a face like a recently-squeezed pancake day lemon? 

Let's enjoy the good fortune.  Let's savour the three points.  Deserved or not, this makes a nice change to what was fast becoming considered as "The norm".

Let's ignore the realistic approach, the mature and reasoned response, and simply embrace the wonderful world of footy-fandom.

Today is a good day.

Hoorah!  

1 hour ago, ramsbottom said:

[Rooney] said in his post match interview that he left them on the bench as he expected a lot of crosses into the box and Mengi & Forsyth's height would help.

Yeah, I hope he didn't mean that. Foz was poor and Mengi looked lost. Buchanan is great in the air, whilst we lost too much without Byrne.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

In my opinion, social media/forum opinions tend to be ‘what someone actually thinks’ x 10. For effect and likes and all that.

Have to say though I can’t work out why as a fan of your club you can’t just enjoy that last night. I just think back to games like that we should have picked up results! All I thought after the game last night was that we needed some of that character at Luton away last season (don’t know why that game sticks out as an especially crappy night but it does).

So yeah, just bloody enjoy it because it can get worse!

I enjoyed the last few seconds greatly!  And I still am today. 

As a general discussion about the game... I'm glad Rooney saw the game in a largely similarish way to me. 

I personally find it much more annoying when we play well and then get hit by a sucker punch and a load of numpties suddenly come out of nowhere saying how truly terrible we are. 

50 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Addressed that in the other thread. It's not the reasoned criticism that I object to, it's the totally OTT reluctance to take any joy at all out of a game of football that grates.

I know if I had been at the game I would have been laughing gleefully all the way home. As we did after Reading in Lampard's first league game. Incidentally, we were out-footballed there. Last night we were just out-bullied! 

Archived