CKR another year?

Eatonram

New contract?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As good as he's been for us, it's a difficult one. It depends on our ambitions for the season and who we can get in. I don't really see CKR as that effective off the bench. He bullies team from the off and gives us a good footing in the match but with regards to chasing the game, I'm not too sure.

I don't think he would ever front a team pushing for the top six, but for where we are now and what we need, he's perfectly suited. I guess it'll come down to what resources are available for new players, as we'll need a lot of them, and what we consider a "successful" season.

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We’re on a budget so definitely give him another year, his wages probably won’t make much of a difference to the overall budget.

Even if we get a main striker in next summer he’ll be a useful rotation option.

Win, win really!

Exactly, would take a stellar signing to displace him right now, so for me that will only be on a takeover happening. Otherwise absolutely should we keep him, as I really doubt a year extra would break the bank. Win/win strength in depth.

11 minutes ago, Eatonram said:

He seems fit, he has enough pace for the role he plays, he is a good motivator in the pitch and has great experience and so far, dare I say it, he doesn’t seem injury prone. 
it’s a yes from me. 

100% another year. According to The Athletic he wants to stay, even on a reduced wage so a deal should be achievable.

I don't necessarily see what would reduce his impact going into next season. His strength, technique & leadership are all skills that will hold up fine & he's unlikely to lose much mobility compared to this season given his game isnt about pace. Stamina wise he's surprised me with how many full games he's been able to play...plenty left in the CKR tank.

Ultimately successful sides need characters & leaders. CKR has shown himself a talisman at this club & we'd be crazy not to extend his stay here. There'd be a lot of clubs in this division who would take him were he to leave.

Can't wait to sing the guy's name at PP. My favourite player & that absolute thunderbastard today my favourite moment of the season.

Yes. Since we seem to be totally skint we don’t have too many options anyway.  

ibe would be getting the heave-ho though. 
30 games into the season and he is nowhere. 

10 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

We’re on a budget so definitely give him another year, his wages probably won’t make much of a difference to the overall budget.

Even if we get a main striker in next summer he’ll be a useful rotation option.

Win, win really!

He is an exquisitely crafted and polished shot gun with silver chasing on the stock, made by gunsmiths from another era .. you might not take him on a special forces stealth mission or for sniper duty, but he can do a lot of damage when it gets messy. Then add in his leadership qualities. He has huge talismanic value. 

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

100% another year. According to The Athletic he wants to stay, even on a reduced wage so a deal should be achievable.

I don't necessarily see what would reduce his impact going into next season. His strength, technique & leadership are all skills that will hold up fine & he's unlikely to lose much mobility compared to this season given his game isnt about pace. Stamina wise he's surprised me with how many full games he's been able to play...plenty left in the CKR tank.

Ultimately successful sides need characters & leaders. CKR has shown himself a talisman at this club & we'd be crazy not to extend his stay here. There'd be a lot of clubs in this division who would take him were he to leave.

Can't wait to sing the guy's name at PP. My favourite player & that absolute thunderbastard today my favourite moment of the season.

Age is a funny thing .. Wayne was losing it and he knew it, Bent lost his because game style  .. you can’t hang on the shoulder so you end up off side .. but Players like Sherringham or Maldini have different genes and a different style of play. Deffo another deal for Colin .. his game isn’t as age/pace influenced in the same way as other “mature” players 

26 minutes ago, jono said:

Age is a funny thing .. Wayne was losing it and he knew it, Bent lost his because game style  .. you can’t hang on the shoulder so you end up off side .. but Players like Sherringham or Maldini have different genes and a different style of play. Deffo another deal for Colin .. his game isn’t as age/pace influenced in the same way as other “mature” players 

Definitely. I was thinking of Sheringham earlier when considering how some players can age. He was all about technique & intelligence and whilst CKR is much more physical, there are some similarities.

Position & level of football also plays a role, CFs need to be mobile but not rapidly so (Martin another example of that) & CBs (like Maldini/Baresi) can compensate for loss of pace with excellent positioning & decision making. By contrast, Rooney at DM was never going to work long term given the energy he needed to compete against the typical high press/high work rate midfields in the Championship. May have been a different story in a slower paced division i.e. in Spain or Italy, Beckham of course had a good spell in a very good AC Milan side aged 34/35

Just now, LeedsCityRam said:

Definitely. I was thinking of Sheringham earlier when considering how some players can age. He was all about technique & intelligence and whilst CKR is much more physical, there are some similarities.

Position & level of football also plays a role, CFs need to be mobile but not rapidly so (Martin another example of that) & CBs (like Maldini/Baresi) can compensate for loss of pace with excellent positioning & decision making. By contrast, Rooney at DM was never going to work long term given the energy he needed to compete against the typical high press/high work rate midfields in the Championship. May have been a different story in a slower paced division i.e. in Spain or Italy, Beckham of course had a good spell in a very good AC Milan side aged 34/35

Zlatan ain't doing that badly at the age of 39. 

I' ve said earlier that 34 is optimal age for a target man. It might be more than that nowadays, 35-36 maybe?

Archived