Underwhelming Rams

YouRams

Mike te Wierik looks to be on his way out, adding another to our recent underwhelming signings list. 

If you could choose the most underwhelming signing/graduate you were initially excited about in your time watching the Rams who would it be? 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason the one that springs initially to mind is Raul Albentosa.

Journos were saying we were lucky to sign him ahead of some Premier League sides. Jake Buxton’s comments on him were pretty damning. 

And despite the private jet and fanfare, none of the coaching staff had seen him play live ?

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Journos were saying we were lucky to sign him ahead of some Premier League sides. Jake Buxton’s comments on him were pretty damning

And despite the private jet and fanfare, none of the coaching staff had seen him play live ?

What did be say?

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Journos were saying we were lucky to sign him ahead of some Premier League sides. Jake Buxton’s comments on him were pretty damning. 

They must’ve watched the same YouTube videos we did, thought we’d found our best CB since Igor ?

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

What did Buxton say?

5 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

What did be say?

3 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

What did Buxton say?

In reference to Albentosa “injury” problems in PRIDE:

“With the signing of Albentosa, Nigel had signed lower league or Scottish players where at previous times of success, they’d brought foreigners in. They’d brought Eranio, Stimac and they knew the response of the fans and how much they liked foreign players. I understood where they were going and if Albentosa had took off he’d have become a cult hero. But he was just making excuses. He wasn’t up to it.” (279-280)

From recent times it's a close call between Marriott and Shackell for me. Marriott seemed to have half the Championship keeping an eye on him and Peterborough strikers have generally made the step up to this league quite well, but he's spent more time on the bench or in the treatment room than scoring goals for us unfortunately. Shackell was supposed to be the final piece of the jigsaw to get us promoted (before Hughes' and Bryson's injuries resulted in us needing to bring in Johnson and Butterfield). We'd managed to sign a key player from a team coming down from the Prem which is almost unheard of in this day and age but he was just average. Someone who stood out as a really good defender in the Prem ended up being just another name to add to the list of defenders Keogh outperformed.

7 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Derek Hales, Derek Hales and Derek Hales.

Did I mention Derek Hales?

I didn‘t even know he played for Derby. Obviously I only read about him beeing a Charlton (goalscoring, I think) legend - why didn‘t it work for him in Derby?

Just remember reading a lot about him in the context of the Bowyer on field fight back then

21 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Leighton James. I had a shirt with 11 on the back.

Really good for everyone else. Not so for us.

I suppose his biggest mistake was not being Alan Hinton.

Aw, I liked Leighton James, thought he played well for us.

Now, Derek Hales......

Most underwhelming signing

Rooney - one of the the most prolific and decorated strikers in English footballs history and played like a Sunday league player most weeks for us. 

most underwhelming graduate -

Callum Ball - Stocky, powerful, low centre of gravity with a rocket of a shot. Broke into the first team and scored then just gradually got worse until he looked like he’d won a competition 

Archived