Underwhelming Rams

YouRams

4 minutes ago, therams69 said:

The 500 or so Rams Fans that made the trip to the Dell on a Monday night wont agree with Mikkel Beck - came out singing his name after he scored the equaliser from a Vas Borbokis cross in the 93rd minute... 

One Mikkel Beck, there only one....... Amazing what you remember isn't it haha!

That was the night Dave Jones the manager thanked the Derby fans for not getting on his back in the after match, regarding some allegations against him that week if memory serves me right.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of names around which I agree with but from what I remember in my era...

Otto Bragstad - came with the reputation of being a superb centre back

Liam Dickenson - signed for 1m from Stockport - did nothing and lots of rumours at the time......

Tonton Zola Muokoko - anyone that plays champ manager knows....

Marino Rahmberg - swedish striker we had on loan. I actually remember going to the Baseball ground to watch him in a reserve match trial. Think he may have played 1 game. Never happened for him but at the time was quite excited as a foreigner and all that....

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That was the night Dave Jones the manager thanked the Derby fans for not getting on his back in the after match, regarding some allegations against him that week if memory serves me right.

That's right, quite a few unsavoury songs from our end though shall I say, so more than likely being sarcastic...

With a packet of sweets and a cheeky smile...........

1 minute ago, therams69 said:

Lots of names around which I agree with but from what I remember in my era...

Otto Bragstad - came with the reputation of being a superb centre back

Liam Dickenson - signed for 1m from Stockport - did nothing and lots of rumours at the time......

Tonton Zola Muokoko - anyone that plays champ manager knows....

Marino Rahmberg - swedish striker we had on loan. I actually remember going to the Baseball ground to watch him in a reserve match trial. Think he may have played 1 game. Never happened for him but at the time was quite excited as a foreigner and all that....

Remember him- we beat at least 7 or 8 of the biggest clubs in Europe to sign him at 15. I think Juventus and AC Milan were offering him all sorts but he wanted a more family orientated club.  Think he had a bit of story regarding being a refugee.  Lesson in that I suppose in the whole wonder kid title. 

Bragstaad-  Beat 3 clubs to his signature. Increased the offer 3 times and took 2 months to got him.  First game of the season we had him, Higginbotham and the Con Blatsis as a back three against Southampton.  Horrific.

We’ve made loads of rubbish signings. We could be here all night.

leon best was awful but the thread assumes some prior expectation that the player would be good. 

most crap signings, I had no expectation that they would be any good at all or just didn’t know them.

Gordon hill has to go down as a disappointment and Bobby Campbell.
But just about every ex-Forest player was a bit poo....Terry Curran, John Robertson, Gary Charles, Darren wassall, steve hodge, lars bohinen, kenny burns, John Middleton, Nathan Tyson, Gary mills, 

Jack Marriott recently. If you exclude a handful of games he has been so dispiritingly disappointing. Hasn't looked fit at times, looked like a fish out of water at others, lacking in energy, even his finishing has bombed downhill. I can still recall the initial hopes I had which makes him my choice. 

7 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Anya.

Not so much the sitting out the contract, which I think I'd what most people take from it.

I thought when we signed him he'd be that  energetic likable utility wide man who covered lots and helped the team a lot and end up being "not a star, but just what we needed" type of signing.

Oh how wrong was I? Very.

Another one would be Marko Reich. Wasn't exactly bad, but clearly could've pulled his finger out and been a bit better that he was.

Yeah Reich is a good shout.

Sure,  he had 2 terrible years in Bundesliga before he joined Derby and had a decent season in League Championship while beeing here - still, he was touted to be the next big thing in Germany, together with Ballack and Deisler back then. So Reich couldn‘t meet the expectations at all... they were much higher tbh.

He is still active as an player-coach in the German Landesliga (7th tier) btw:

Marco Reich

4 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Not sure why it affected it when he was being driven anyway.

Two hours inactivity in a sitting position would probably be not that good for him, driving or not.I am not saying it was a factor I am just saying it wouldn't have helped his fitness. 

9 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

Bjorn Otto Bragstad

Yes - I was in Belgium for Euro 2000 and amongst the rumours of Bragstad coming to Derby, somehow I confused Andre Bergdolmo v big Bjorn while watching Norway against Spain in Rotterdam, Bergdolmo was excellent, Bjorn less so. Some of the timelines and chronology of these events may be confused by Stella Artois and the passage of time, either way he was rubbish.

10 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Did the phrase 'if Albentosa had took off...' really get past an editor and into print?

What he said - this sentence makes no sense to me either plus the commas are gramatically incorrect. That's self publishing for you......

With the signing of Albentosa, Nigel had signed lower league or Scottish players where at previous times of success, they’d brought foreigners in. 

9 hours ago, Rev said:

The thread is titled Underwhelming Rams.

The fact I selected Jacob as my choice should be clue enough.

When we signed him, I was pleased as I thought he'd be an improvement. He turned out to be underwhelming, as per the title. I implied nothing other than that.

Yeah sorry mate, I was in a right strop last night and talk of Butterfield just added to it. #COYR

9 hours ago, Yani P said:

Derek Hales every day of the week..

He scored 148 goals for Charlton and 4 for us

He had a better strike rate than many strikers who have darkened our doors. I agree, he went from a 1:2 at Charlton to a 1:6 at Derby but Marriott went from a 1:2 to a 1:7. Even Steve Howard went from 1:2 to 1:4. Hales went back to being a 1:2 striker at West Ham and back at Charlton. It's not quite as simple as saying 128 doesn't equal 4.

Stefan Schnoor for me. The signing was the one that showed that the glory days under TBE were behind us. Good managers build good teams, great managers build dynasties and while Jim Smith was the best we'd had since Arthur he wasn't able to replace and swop outgoing players for better incoming ones. From there it was the slippery slope to where we currently find ourselves.

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

But just about every ex-Forest player was a bit poo....Terry Curran, John Robertson, Gary Charles, Darren wassall, steve hodge, lars bohinen, kenny burns, John Middleton, Nathan Tyson, Gary mills, 

I thought Terry Curran was OK for us, also Lars Bohinen and even possibly Steve Hodge (though he was only a loan wasn't he?). And Alan Hinton, Terry Hennessey and Kris Commons turned out OK. I think it's more a question of who is in the ascendency - when we were rubbish they gave us Steve Sutton and when we were in the ascendency we probably shipped some of our garbage down the A52 in return.

12 hours ago, angieram said:

Aw, I liked Leighton James, thought he played well for us.

Now, Derek Hales......

100% agree.

James was a reasonably good player (he did play over 50 times for Wales) in a declining team.

Hinton was a very good player but he took as much abuse from Derby fans at the time as James did, but he played in a great team that people look back fondly on.

James otoh played in a team that was moving us away from greatness and consequently suffered accordingly.

18 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Hinton was a very good player but he took as much abuse from Derby fans at the time as James did, but he played in a great team that people look back fondly on.

Did he? James being compared to Hinton might be why James took so much stick, he was a pale shadow of Hinton. I don't remember Hinton taking much stick, bar the 'hot 'em with yer handbag Gladys' stuff. McGovern copped most of the crowds ire I thought.

4 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Jack Marriott recently. If you exclude a handful of games he has been so dispiritingly disappointing. Hasn't looked fit at times, looked like a fish out of water at others, lacking in energy, even his finishing has bombed downhill. I can still recall the initial hopes I had which makes him my choice. 

Same. I had been craving a 30 goal striker to make the step up from League One for years. Has fallen a long way short of expectations. 

The annoying thing is, you can see he has the talent to succeed. Such a natural finisher. Hopefully he will come good one day. I'll tell him so next time I bump into him in M&S Food. I'm sure that will cheer him up.

Archived