v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Can't have been a pen as the ref didn't give it. Just like in cricket you know someone is out as you read about it in the newspaper the next day. 

Harsh... but true. 

still a bit of post mortem  speculation and scandal is fine mental excercise ?

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I think the Birmingham goals are a key example about how you make your own luck. We’d obviously discussed how to take advantage of a dodgy keeper and used the floodlights that made the first error, which put more pressure on with each corner after.

Tonight we didn’t do enough to make that luck. Yes we made chances but I don’t think we really forced anything and therefore let them back into the game after 30 minutes. You know have we pulled defender out of position tonight, have we forced the ref to give us fouls? Ofcourse it probably should be a penalty but we’ve not managed the game to force the ref into the decision even if it’s 50/50. 

Im not sure ive explained myself overly well (been drinking a 7% beer!), essentially we forced mistakes and decisions against Birmingham, tonight we expected them? 

Edit: GAME MANAGEMENT, that’s the words I was looking for. We managed the whole game well at Birmingham, tonight we didn’t. 

Yes totally concur with all of this. We didn't do enough ourselves to force errors - did we expect Wednesday to offer the same as Birmingham? Would have be total naivety and unpreparedness if we did so let's not go down that route.

16 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE PITCH  !!! Joz holds the ball close, moves it fast, lot of touches. SO hard if you're playing on a ploughed field 

PP just as bad. Seems like this season with more games and less time for pitches to recover has really hurt things.

Doesnt help when we play under 23 and/or academy at the stadium as well.

16 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I maintain my previous stance that refereeing standards in this division are applied equally appalling to all teams, there is no bias or malice aforethought.

So a poor decision one game will then get evened out by an inappropriate or generous decision the next. Over the course of the season then refereeing decisions will have negligible impact in the final analysis. 

I agree with the assertion that refereeing standards are crap for everyone (the stuff about EFL and ref decisions is laughable conspiracy nonsense).

However, dont think you are right that it always "evens out" as it were. That's known as the average of averages logical fallacy aka Simpsons Paradox. For some teams, they will be more negatively impacted then others. Some teams will be positively impacted. Therefore, its very possible the bad refereeing decisions results in a notably better or notably worse final league position.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The 4th official would have given it! ? 

Yeah, I think we were unlucky today - a game too far for a small, limited squad.

I think yes that the demands on a small bunch of players showed today. Is that down to luck - not so sure - but that definitely was a contributing factor I agree.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Think I'm gonna cry if we lose this. Firstly we've absolutely pummelled them but have nothing to show for it. Secondly, this is my third match thread gig since I joined the forum and I've yet to take us more than one game. Beginning to think I'm a bok ?

Feel for you mate, poohoused off another thread.  The games not straight man.

25 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No we didn’t. Sometimes you don’t get what you deserve in football. On your thinking QPR deserved to beat us at Wembley. Total nonsense.

Are you saying Wednesday didn't deserve to score? or are you intimating that because we had the lions share of the ball, Missed several very good chances and also could/should have had a penalty...The object of football is to score goals, If the opposition score more than you in the game inevitably they win...so deserve too.

5 minutes ago, rammieib said:

PP just as bad. Seems like this season with more games and less time for pitches to recover has really hurt things.

Doesnt help when we play under 23 and/or academy at the stadium as well.

Don't the under 23's usually play at Loughborough? 

3 minutes ago, adamscybot said:

I agree with the assertion that refereeing standards are crap for everyone (the conspiracy about EFL and ref decisions is laughable conspiracy nonsense).

However, dont think you are right that it always "evens out" as it were. That's known as the average of averages logical fallacy aka Simpsons Paradox. For some teams, they will be more negatively impacted then others. Some teams will be positively impacted. Therefore, its very possible the bad refereeing decisions results in a notably better or notably worse final league position.

I guess without going into the finites of things then yes my reply was very broadbrush and yes there will be a Gaussian curve where the majority of teams benefit from an average level of refereeing incompetency and there will then be fewer teams either side who are more significantly affected  positively or negatively depending on which side of the line they are. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think yes that the demands on a small bunch of players showed today. Is that down to luck - not so sure - but that definitely was a contributing factor I agree.

Well, no, not luck. But who gets the blame for such a small squad? The bench was really not much help, how many subs? Didn't matter to be honest.

36 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

He's just going to say he didn't see it.

32 minutes ago, David said:

Probably. Be interesting to know why the 4th official wasn’t able to talk to him, are they only allowed to if there’s an issue on the touchline? 

Just seems a little bizarre if so. 

Alan Wiley is the head of the championship referees. 

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Well, no, not luck. But who gets the blame for such a small squad? The bench was really not much help, how many subs? Didn't matter to be honest.

I've already posted a couple of hours ago that the person who allowed Martin to leave without bringing in a viable replacement should be publically castigated. That's one of them. Marriott going to the Wendies less so as I can sort of see the logic in that. But combined with Martin makes it ten times worse.

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

I've already posted a couple of hours ago that the person who allowed Martin to leave without bringing in a viable replacement should be publically castigated. That's one of them. Marriott going to the Wendies less so as I can sort of see the logic in that. But combined with Martin makes it ten times worse.

Seeing as he was out of contract, how could we have stopped Martin leaving?

Just now, Rev said:

Seeing as he was out of contract, how could we have stopped Martin leaving?

The key word was and not bringing in a viable replacement. I totally agree that if Martin chose to leave then we would be powerless to stop him it's the fact that we knew that was one scenario months in advance but still failed to bring anyone else in to replace. 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

The key word was and not bringing in a viable replacement. I totally agree that if Martin chose to leave then we would be powerless to stop him it's the fact that we knew that was one scenario months in advance but still failed to bring anyone else in to replace. 

All the players that were available post-lockdown to sign and we signed only Colin. 

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

All the players that were available post-lockdown to sign and we signed only Colin. 

We'd settled on Dursan though, once that didn't come off we went for Colin, who btw I agree should have buried that headed.

With resources tight, I think we did the best we could.

Archived