v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Nope unfortunately. Stonewall penalty and the ref let lots of rough stuff by Wendies players go unpunished.

Wasn't the ball behind his back when it hit him?

They didn't look proficient enough to handle a ball in front of them, nevermind behind.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

No we didn’t. Sometimes you don’t get what you deserve in football. On your thinking QPR deserved to beat us at Wembley. Total nonsense.

We'll agree to disagree then as you obviously think that there is some kind of merit or effort reward in football.

If you don't take your chances then get hit by a classic sucker punch then fail to respond to that you get everything you deserve whoever the team is. 

Could and should have's don't win you games.

Just now, Kooklaram said:

So WHO?

did we not play well then what and got done by a set piece they gave the impression it was a goal against the run of play and we looked more likely.

Who knows? As every possibility I mention will then inevitably get discarded by yourself for whatever reason so am trying to prempt that banal transaction.

We'll agree to disagree then as you obviously think that there is some kind of merit or effort reward in football.

If you don't take your chances then get hit by a classic sucker punch then fail to respond to that you get everything you deserve whoever the team is. 

Could and should have's don't win you games.

But you think we ‘should’ have had a penalty?

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

When you see the replays you see him get underneath it - that's why his goal-scoring rate is what it is.

They also said on commentary tonight his 3 goals this season have come from 4 shots on target - the other one being the attempt v Stoke where he rounded the keeper & only a superb effort from Chester stopped him scoring. Pretty decent conversion rate that.

I will accept he ain't going to be a 20 goal a season man but his contribution to this team is significant. The problem is lack of goals around him.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

But you think we ‘should’ have had a penalty?

I maintain my previous stance that refereeing standards in this division are applied equally appalling to all teams, there is no bias or malice aforethought.

So a poor decision one game will then get evened out by an inappropriate or generous decision the next. Over the course of the season then refereeing decisions will have negligible impact in the final analysis. 

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Who knows? As every possibility I mention will then inevitably get discarded by yourself for whatever reason so am trying to prempt that banal transaction.

Not all its was an honest question and am happy to take suggestions, cant afford to pay for streaming etc but heyho

22 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Genuinely don't know what you mean by that. Am not saying that I don't think we deserved to beat Birmingham am saying that 2 of our goals were given to us on a plate and a third was a penalty.

And if they had scored first would we have seen the same result? History says not. 

I think the Birmingham goals are a key example about how you make your own luck. We’d obviously discussed how to take advantage of a dodgy keeper and used the floodlights that made the first error, which put more pressure on with each corner after.

Tonight we didn’t do enough to make that luck. Yes we made chances but I don’t think we really forced anything and therefore let them back into the game after 30 minutes. You know have we pulled defender out of position tonight, have we forced the ref to give us fouls? Ofcourse it probably should be a penalty but we’ve not managed the game to force the ref into the decision even if it’s 50/50. 

Im not sure ive explained myself overly well (been drinking a 7% beer!), essentially we forced mistakes and decisions against Birmingham, tonight we expected them? 

Edit: GAME MANAGEMENT, that’s the words I was looking for. We managed the whole game well at Birmingham, tonight we didn’t. 

3 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I will accept he ain't going to be a 20 goal a season man but his contribution to his team is significant. The problem is lack of goals around him.

Of course it is significant, there is no-one else. He has done well, but he's not looked as good as his first full game for us.

Just now, Kooklaram said:

Not all its was an honest question and am happy to take suggestions, cant afford to pay for streaming etc but heyho

I just think nothing beats watching the game for real, more often than not I have the volume turned down anyway as can make my own judgement without listening to the waffle of commentators. 

I can't suggest anything else other than the normal sites as will get banned (as anyone else would)

48 minutes ago, Kooklaram said:

Wow, so because i don't rate him as a strong goalkeeper i am immediately castigated and labelled as a mardy arse throwing my toys out of the pram. it's only an opinion nothing more nothing less

Apologies. Having read your justification just now I see your not saying til you’d replace him with Roos. Just frustrated with the performance. Marshall has been solid, not great today but that doesn’t mean we drop him. I probably shouldn’t come on here immediately after a game like that. I can’t be arsed with fans overreactions!   Apologies again though! 

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

Im not sure ive explained myself overly well (been drinking a 7% beer!), essentially we forced mistakes and decisions against Birmingham, tonight we expected them? 

I think we started to feel the 'pressure' of missing our chances, then we seemed to look 'slow of thought', leggy too. We don't have the strength on the bench to allow players a rest. No strength left to force much, but still we should have had a penno!

Can't have been a pen as the ref didn't give it. Just like in cricket you know someone is out as you read about it in the newspaper the next day. 

The 4th official would have given it! ? 

Yeah, I think we were unlucky today - a game too far for a small, limited squad.

Archived