v Sheffield Wednesday (A) - Matchday Thread

Comrade 86

11 minutes ago, Rev said:

Leaving aside the Clarke decision, as I can't see the relevance, the only striker we were linked with was Dursan. Whether the goalposts moved at the end of that proposed deal, no-one knows!

From everything in the public domain, we were left short handed...

You think there were no strikers 'offered' to Cocu that didn't become 'public domain'? FFS that's just Dursan then, oh and Martin when no-one else wanted him!

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

You think there were no strikers 'offered' to Cocu that didn't become 'public domain'? FFS that's just Dursan then, oh and Martin when no-one else wanted him!

Cocu was told he was getting his no 1 choice as striker, right up until the last day he thought that was the case. He also wanted CM to stay, the contract talks were taken out of his hands. 

37 minutes ago, David said:

Thanks. I never knew that there were three different flag positions for offside ... but the FA version didn't seem to include guidelines about the radios - but does seem to reinforce the relative insignificance of the fourth official.

Why are we 5-6 months into the season and still struggling to get players like Ibe and Duncan fit? I’m amazed the latter isn’t on the bench and Gordon is. The attacking options we have are dire looking at that bench.

No idea how they’ve passed a medical if they are so unfit to play this many months on. 

I was anti-Rooney, so by no means am I looking for positives where there are none. 

But it was very noticeable first half how the defence continually looked forward and played crisp, flat passes into our midfield trio. They were then picking a path and keeping the ball with purpose. Full backs weren't unwilling to launch it into the channels either, time and again our midfield drove forward and picked up the knock downs. Definitely a massive improvement from earlier on in the season. 

CKR was really hard working and did his hold up work really well. Just a shame he didn't cap it off with a relatively straight forward header. 

Sibley was the only player who looked a little lost. Couple of times he tried to drive forward and got out muscled and gradually seemed to drift out of the game. Whole team looked a bit shell shocked by the goal. You don't always get what you deserve every game but over the course of the season you end up where your play merits and I think it we will be comfortably lower mid table. Disappointing there's little to play for with the playoffs now totally unrealistic.

Another season in the wilderness...hope we can secure investment and build a team for a proper challenge next year. 

11 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Why are we 5-6 months into the season and still struggling to get players like Ibe and Duncan fit? I’m amazed the latter isn’t on the bench and Gordon is. The attacking options we have are dire looking at that bench.

No idea how they’ve passed a medical if they are so unfit to play this many months on. 

Forgot he was here

1 hour ago, Finch said:

By not penny pinching.

Yes it seems like penny pinching. But the backdrop is a chairman not wanting to spend good money after bad, and apparently desperate to sell up. It's disappointing for fans, but I guess we have to understand and accept things from Mr Morris's perspective. 

13 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Our recruitment team should have answers to such questions. 

5 minutes ago, kevinhectoring said:

oh.  I thought he wanted to stay but the club refused him a new contract   Is that wrong ? 

He was offered terms, refused them and went elsewhere.

That's his choice, maybe our terms were nowhere near as good as Bristol City's, and I lay no blame on Martin for maximising his earnings on what is likely to be his final contract as a professional.

For all we know, nothing we'd offer him would have been enough, maybe he fancied a new start elsewhere.

42 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I've no idea.

Maybe the strikers offered to Cocu weren't his cup of tea, maybe he'd identified Dursan and didn't want to settle for second or third choices.

I don't know, and neither do you!

15 minutes ago, europia said:

Yes it seems like penny pinching. But the backdrop is a chairman not wanting to spend good money after bad, and apparently desperate to sell up. It's disappointing for fans, but I guess we have to understand and accept things from Mr Morris's perspective. 

Probably got a clue of that mind set from the Pride book.  Gadsby looking for money from the interim board to get players in to improve chances of staying up.  After a few heavy defeats none was forthcoming and the directors wanted out.  A similar scenario I suppose, although if I recall correctly a sum of money was lent to the club by each investor with the intention of getting it back on promotion. I know Mel Morris was one of the investors at that time - don't know if he had moved aside by then. 

31 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Mentioned this ahead of Birmingham game in respect of the bench. As good or as promising as Gordon is, to have a player who hasn’t even appeared for the 23s yet ahead of players like Duncan who are internationals at various age groups is strange to say the least. I said then that there’s no way Gordon or Watson (attacking players) would be used if the game was tight and tonight it was proved so. 

The improvement in performance and attitude is fantastic. We were unfortunate tonight but keep playing with the intensity and tempo of the last few games and we will be fine. Our defence is much improved too and look like a proper unit with the whole team working well together.

Credit to Rooney and team for recognising what needed to happen. The results will follow, I am confident.

On reflection games like this are so disappointing as we are very very much improved - just seeing how many are now pushing and willing to get in the box. After they scored though we went much more to passing around at back again which was disappointing. Hopefully lack of sub options highlights what we need for Jan and perhaps another win would have hidden that again but will we get to buy anyone unless takeover sorted v quickly? That worries me as injuries to that key 11 would finish us. 

Archived