New Manager

dantheram

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I know very little of Cooper, other than he is the current manager of Swansea, and am I right in thinking he was highly regarded within the England youth set up?

If he were to leave a 6th place team to join the bottom of the table team there must be something about the project that excites him.

Maybe what appeals is working with players from the club's own academy rather than from Chelsea's.

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

So you agree he won't come here then? If you think he would only come for money then he won't be coming here since we can't pay him anything regardless of how rich our owners are. FFP is still the limiting factor here and we can't use parachute payments to bypass it.

image.gif.7d5cd3fd8236a532de62ad3dff89434b.gif

FFP doesn’t exist anymore. Benitez is coming and he’s got a 50 billion war chest from our owners who are Saudi royals richer than Mansour with squillions their disposal!

Honest!

I’d dismissed Cooper as I didn’t think there was any chance he’d swap Swansea for us and money is tight.

But I have to say he does fit the bill style wise and with youth development. 

One thing I’d mark him down for is lack of experience in the hot seat.....but if he’s up against Rooney and Terry then he’s ahead of them!

Definitely an interesting option if he is open to the move.

28 minutes ago, DC-1975 said:

- The last time he was here he used the same tactics as he did the first time, with different players and it didn't work.

- He didn't get us promoted last time, why would he this time?

The last time he was here his win rate was 45%. Took us to a 9th place finish after starting the season (under Pearson) with 2 wins from our first 11 games. We then won 8 out of the next 10.

Similar story to his first spell. Came in after the Ipswich game and we won 9 of our next 11 games.

I doubt the new owners are looking at McClaren, but the suggestion is hardly ridiculous in our current predicament. 

53 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

Steve McClaren. 

-He plays the kind of football we need right now.

-He has the obvious connection with our club.

-He's informed about us. Keeps up to date with the club and Opta stats.

- Would continue to give the youth an opportunity.

-He'd allow Rooney to take an assistant role. 

-He'd get us promoted with a bit of backing.

-Currently unattached and available.

- He unearthed hidden gems like Raul Albentosa too?

7 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

The last time he was here his win rate was 45%. Took us to a 9th place finish after starting the season (under Pearson) with 2 wins from our first 11 games. We then won 8 out of the next 10.

Similar story to his first spell. Came in after the Ipswich game and we won 9 of our next 11 games.

I doubt the new owners are looking at McClaren, but the suggestion is hardly ridiculous in our current predicament. 

If he hadn’t managed us twice within the past 7 years he would be spoken about as a candidate because of his record and availability.

But he has managed us twice very recently and the fan base is too split on him. Said this in another thread but the problem with McClaren is half the fanbase idolises him and the other half cant stand him.

I personally think he’d do a good job but we need a blank slate and some open mindedness. You cant have half of PP ready to stick the knife in him as soon as there’s a bad result.

41 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

I’d dismissed Cooper as I didn’t think there was any chance he’d swap Swansea for us and money is tight.

But I have to say he does fit the bill style wise and with youth development. 

One thing I’d mark him down for is lack of experience in the hot seat.....but if he’s up against Rooney and Terry then he’s ahead of them!

Definitely an interesting option if he is open to the move.

I'm really keen on this one. I hope it happens. If the new owners supposedly had 'someone in mind' I'd be surprised if it were someone like him though  

So far we have a list of candidates that are too inexperienced. Rooney and Terry. People who are over qualified and would cost too much Benitez. Breaking his contact and a contract would set us back £15m+

Then there are those like Cook and Cooper. Would they be trusted at a club this size, with what will be a big budget. 

Then there are the wild outsiders. Darren Moore, Duncan Ferguson, Pearson, etc.

To me there are only two realistic candidates as of right now and that is Eddie Howe and Steve McClaren.

15 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I know he's favoured by quite a few on here but, if it is him, I can't help feeling a little underwhelmed.

Mind, the last time I felt like that was when Jim Smith was appointed ?? 

And at least he's not Gregory.

I too was underwhelmed when Jim Smith was appointed and that’s how I view it but I just have that feeling that cook would be good for Derby county 

1 hour ago, HectorsHouse said:

Well whoever it is, he/they need to have an immediate impact...which I'm hoping shouldn't be too difficult.

We are currently 11 games in to the season and have the same amount of games until the end of the year and the opening of the transfer window.

How long will you give him before you want rid?

Archived