New Manager

dantheram

Just now, Mostyn6 said:

because Rafa is known worldwide, and serious money has been put on him. Generally a good tell tale is either movement in odds or variance (across different bookies) in odds. Jokanovic, whilst a good call, is not a well known name in management outside of Championship football fans. His odds are identical across all the bookies and haven't moved. Usually an indicator.

With all due respect Mostyn you are talking poppycock -  as someone who works in the betting industry I can confidently tell you that it takes very little money to shift a market like that and particularly at this early stage.

Once someone sees a price crash they think someone has inside information and then more people pile on etc etc.

Darren Moore anyone? odds on to be next Derby Manager not many appointments ago!

At this stage those markets are only just starting to form  and mean very little beyond speculation and whispers in the press etc.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Benitez is on 12 million a year after tax in China ain’t he? I don’t think he’ll be moving anytime soon 

Yeh, but the team he is managing there is on the verge of relegation, so I don't think it will be his choice if he does leave. However we still couldn't afford him even if he did come back to England. When he was in the Championship with Newcastle the only managers in England earning more money than him were Pep, Klopp, Mourinho, Wenger, Conte and Koeman. 90% of his entire wage would have to be paid in promotion bonuses if he came here (not that I think he would)

14 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I’m personally staggered that quite so many would turn their noses up at Rafa Benitez. We’re bottom of the Championship. It’s been said that his football is too negative, but he’s won league titles, European titles and super cup titles in multiple nations.

Between 2001 & 2016 he managed Valencia, Liverpool, Chelsea, Inter, Napoli & Real Madrid with only one calendar year out of the game. That’s a lot if successful clubs over a long period for someone who is too defensive and not that great.

Above all, it would signal the ambition our new owners would have. If they can convince Rafa to come, and pay him enough, then they are much less likely to be the chancers we were warned about right?

There’s a few names I would be happy with seeing here, all very different in pedigree. They include Jokanovic, Paul Cook, Jody Morris - all would bring different things to the club and handle things in different ways. But I would also be delighted if we were able to attract someone like Rafa to the club, especially given our current position.

It’s not turning our noses up. It’s understanding the situation we’re in.

We are in the Championship. We are in 24th place. We are 13 points off the play-offs.

Look at the job Benitez is in at the moment. You’re not going to leave a job that is so lucrative and comfortable unless you’re walking into a job where you are set up to succeed.

How likely is it for us to have a successful season from this position? Very unlikely. So in effect, he would be here in the Championship for 1.5 seasons when a manager of his standing could command a job much higher up the pyramid.

Benítez has an incredible CV and would be a massive coup and a signal of intent. That is absolutely true and undeniable. But surely he’d be a better fit if we were trying to establish ourselves in the PL?

Surely it would be a case of the right man at the wrong time? I think that’s what people are getting at.

1 minute ago, Bluedogmaz said:

With all due respect Mostyn you are talking poppycock -  as someone who works in the betting industry I can confidently tell you that it takes very little money to shift a market like that and particularly at this early stage.

Once someone sees a price crash they think someone has inside information and then more people pile on etc etc.

Darren Moore anyone? odds on to be next Derby Manager not many appointments ago!

At this stage those markets are only just starting to form  and mean very little beyond speculation and whispers in the press etc.

Didn’t Owd Miner have 10 Shillings on Benitez ?? That would account for his odds shortening.

Has anyone on here seen enough of Paul Cook's teams to be able to tell me how they play? 

Can honestly say I've only see the two games against Derby last season and the Man City cup game...wasn't pretty watching on any occasion.

His achievements in the lower divisions speak for themselves...but what's the case for him that it'll work here? Why is Conway, and others, so keen?

Convince me! I don't want to have to change the wording under my username on here if I can help it!

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

because Rafa is known worldwide, and serious money has been put on him. Generally a good tell tale is either movement in odds or variance (across different bookies) in odds. Jokanovic, whilst a good call, is not a well known name in management outside of Championship football fans. His odds are identical across all the bookies and haven't moved. Usually an indicator.

That's a bit weird. If Jokanovic isn't a well known name outside of the Championship what does that make Cook?

Just now, Jourdan said:

We are in the Championship. We are in 24th place. We are 13 points off the play-offs.

Look at the job Benitez is in at the moment. You’re not going to leave a job that is so lucrative and comfortable unless you’re walking into a job where you are set up to succeed.

How likely is it for us to have a successful season from this position? Very unlikely. So in effect, he would be here in the Championship for 1.5 seasons when a manager of his standing could command a job much higher up the pyramid.

Benítez has an incredible CV and would be a massive coup and a signal of intent. That is absolutely true and undeniable. But surely he’d be a better fit if we were trying to establish ourselves in the PL?

Surely it would be a case of the right man at the wrong time? I think that’s what people are getting at.

Because we’re bottom of the Championship, that means we should turn our noses up at a high-profile, successful manager? For what it’s worth, I think it’s incredibly unrealistic but I just couldn’t understand why his appointment would be snubbed.

If he came here, he would be fully aware of the position we’re in and the job in hand. We wouldn’t expect him to be successful immediately. He went to Newcastle and took them down because of the position they were in beforehand, but he stuck around at this level and took them straight back and left in a stronger position than when he arrived. It wouldn’t guarantee success but it would be a huge positive of the ambition of the new owners and where they set their sights. The whole mood of the club would be lifted, and a positive mentality can go a long, long way.

We should aim for the best choice for us, every time we look for a manager. That may or may not be Rafa in our current situation, it’ll be hard to say definitively if he’s right or wrong for the job until he had a decent amount of time here. I just can’t get my head around people on here and social media who would reject a manager as successful as him coming to Derby County.

8 minutes ago, Bluedogmaz said:

Spot on I used to work in the industry and you wouldn’t be able to place a large bet on Manager markets and even a flurry of very small wagers would shorten the odds very quickly.

Well....I just spent a couple of enjoyable hours watching our historic away win at Leeds in the play offs.

what a fantastic game. what an unbelievable performance. 

It’s a huge contrast with where we are now.

all eleven players were superb. The energy they expended. The relentless pressing and drive from midfield.

I’m more convinced than ever after watching that, that we have to have young energetic mobile attacking players. We need to get rid of the dead weights.

the other thing is that they were virtually all frank’s players one way or another.

roos,bogle, and Bennett were promoted to the first team

malone, mount, Wilson, tomori, Marriott, Holmes were all his signings.

keogh was his captain, and Johnson restored to the team.

I can’t help contrasting that with cocu who had so little opportunity to bring in his own signings. it seemed as if the transfer activity was largely decided by committee. So maybe it’s not a surprise that when push came to shove, the perception is that some players weren’t really busting a gut for him, the way that the players did at Elland Road.

we need that drive from midfield.

I hope we commit to the high energy midfield players - knight and Sibley in particular - and raise the tempo several notches.

the last thing we need is a 35 year old player manager.

I could be wrong but the people due to take us over are the ones who very nearly took over at Newcastle last year, I'm pretty sure at the time the talk was that they wanted Rafa to stay and he wanted to stay, the deal fell through & he ended up leaving so maybe Rafa isnt totally out the question.

Just because he is on a huge wage in China doesnt mean he would want that much to come back to England. Lets face it, he isnt going to earn that type of money anywhere outside of China plus our new owners are meant to be mega rich so could afford a big wage for Rafa

4 minutes ago, big bad ram said:

What was the purpose of the official tweet? Surely it was obvious the process for finding a new manager would be underway seeing as we currently don't have one!

Not really, we could have waited for the takeover to be completed before starting to look

7 minutes ago, big bad ram said:

What was the purpose of the official tweet? Surely it was obvious the process for finding a new manager would be underway seeing as we currently don't have one!

Not necessarily, we might be happy to wait with the group of coaches currently in charge.

9 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It’s not even any of this. It’s the fact we’re Derby County, a middling Championship side, there is no way a manager of Rafa’s stock would come here. Yes he managed Newcastle in this division, but they’re a far bigger club, and were pretty much nailed on for a quick return to the prem.

Theres being ambitious, and there’s being delusional...

Archived