Proud of Rooney

RoyMac5

'Rooney says booing of players taking a knee 'disappointing and upsetting'

"To hear that is very disappointing and upsetting for a lot of people," said Rooney, whose side won the game 1-0.

"I'm pleased with how my team dealt with that. They've had to put that to the back of their minds for the 90 minutes but I'm sure it's something they were thinking about."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55168557

Fed up with excuses being made. Everyone knows what 'taking a knee' means in anti-racist terms. Anyone who 'boos' the players involved is being racist. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

'Rooney says booing of players taking a knee 'disappointing and upsetting'

"To hear that is very disappointing and upsetting for a lot of people," said Rooney, whose side won the game 1-0.

"I'm pleased with how my team dealt with that. They've had to put that to the back of their minds for the 90 minutes but I'm sure it's something they were thinking about."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55168557

Fed up with excuses being made. Everyone knows what 'taking a knee' means in anti-racist terms. Anyone who 'boos' the players involved is being racist. 

I see a lot of our fans rightly criticising the millwall fans. Problem is there’s probably a good number of our fans that are on the same page as the millwall fans.

Just now, Ramarena said:

I see a lot of our fans rightly criticising the millwall fans. Problem is there’s probably a good number of our fans that are on the same page as the millwall fans.

Well we can deal with it too - who said otherwise?

Can understand the debate around whether the message can be seen to have other political connotations, and therefore shouldn’t be in football. Booing a gesture intended to be simply anti-racist is unacceptable however. There’s no other way to look at that, other than the Millwall fans are racist. Thank goodness our players put them in their place. 

3 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Agreed, every club getting all high and mighty while all thanking their lucky stars it wasn’t their fans 

This issue is pervasive across football, it’s clearly not just a millwall problem and it’s certainly not just a fans problem, it’s deep within club hierarchies 

9 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Yep, one look on Twitter after Sky Sports tweeted about it showed so many fans from all over agreeing with the Millwall fans.

In some cases, it’s important to keep political matters out of football. In some cases, it’s important to make a stand at every opportunity. This is the latter. This action is short and doesn’t effect the match (it’s not like anyone against it can start playing and gets an advantage). People can have different opinions, but if you don’t agree with players showing a sign of solidarity for 10 seconds, don’t go to the game and keep your mouth shut.

@Davidseems to run a different ship here...just a little more of a free for all there!

Even if you don't 100% agree with the taking of the knee (as an eg the red poppy took time to take hold as a non-political thing in football before the authorities finally embraced it) but actively boo-ing it can only be seen as an overtly racist thing to do. 

I'm glad the 'Rooney in' bandwagon, complete with 'where are all the Rooney haters tonight' posts, haven't taken root quite yet. 

I am still very much get an experienced, considered, charismatic manager in. With a nod to @i-Ram, I love watching Leeds as they have a clear plan and intention which I would love us to follow - even though there is the contradiction that Bielsa doesn't exactly exude an air of engaging conversation, I have read enough to know he is a real (pensioner) student of the game.

However, while results are going OK I am happy whoever is manager. So Rooney can keep the ship steady and if he keeps winning inevitably he will probably get the job long term, doesn't mean I won't hanker after more. 

7 hours ago, jakally said:

Felt ashamed to be a football fan when I heard the boos.

Really hope it doesn't become widespread now fans are returning, and will be so angry if there's any of it at Pride Park.

Chelsea fans clapped it yesterday. Presumably they had heard what happened at Millwall.

We should do the same. Active support for the message. 

11 hours ago, Ramarena said:

Funny though, no booing reported at any of the other grounds where fans were allowed. If you don’t agree with it just keep quiet and ignore it. I’d like to think that’s the stance any of our fans who don’t think it should happen would take.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Wow, their swear filter is not very effective, is it ? 

This week a couple of threads seem to have disappeared from this forum, I wonder if they have ever closed one or even have heard of the term moderator. Nobody likes them as they say but they are not making it easy either to be liked. Maybe they really dont care.

Reading the Millwall thread it's clear the action yesterday was premeditated. Millwall have form on these kind of issues. They'll also do their research and sing about anything, no matter how disgusting, to get a reaction. They sang some awful stuff about the Philpott children as I recall.

They aren't seen as fans who hold the mainstream view. The media have given this oxygen, when it should have been ignored, now we'll see this kind of booing creeping in elsewhere and perpetrators will the excuse that politics shouldn't be in football to cover up they're own bigotry.

Archived