Proud of Rooney

RoyMac5

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Coneheadjohn said:

Millwall haven’t said anything yet but Rowett has condemned it.

Hopefully they will, i remember years ago after the Nigel Doughty chant Derby and Nigel Clough released a very strong statement condemning it, I would hope to see something similiar.

It’s a simple gesture that supports anti discrimination. The only people politicising it in an effort to debate why it shouldn’t happen are racist. In this case, people that follow Millwall FC. Their forum shows deep seated racist and political views and their action was very much pre-meditated. Living in their echo chamber is how these views grow. Their own players take the knee and it’s absolutely a gut punch to some of their fans. Good. 

Pleased the Chelsea fans showed class by applauding it. As @angieram intimated, silence isn’t an option. 

13 minutes ago, Coneheadjohn said:

Millwall haven’t said anything yet but Rowett has condemned it.

Did you think he 'condemned' it? 

What I saw seemed to be more of a politicians answer 'obviously I am disappointed because we have done lots of great work'.. 

11 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Can understand the debate around whether the message can be seen to have other political connotations, and therefore shouldn’t be in football. Booing a gesture intended to be simply anti-racist is unacceptable however. There’s no other way to look at that, other than the Millwall fans are racist. Thank goodness our players put them in their place. 

this rant isn’t directed at you but you have brought up the political associations so it is relevant to your post, sorry! 

You can be conservative with out being a Conservative and you can support black lives matter without supporting Black Lives Matter. I don’t see why footballs most braindead can’t distinguish between players wanting equality across the world and players signing up to a political party. 

These same people would have been those criticising Mandela in South Africa and using any excuse to do so.

The fools don’t even know what Marxism is but regurgitate it because their favourite idiot Laurence Fox or equivalent has used it. 

As as aside, if anyone hasn't seen the Anton Ferdinand documentary I would thoroughly recommend it. It was very even handed in its approach and Anton seemed a genuinely decent bloke who was really hurt by lots of aspects of what occurred..he didn't even seem to particularly dislike or want to pursue Terry, he just wanted an apology and closure. 

12 minutes ago, HorsforthRam said:

It’s a simple gesture that supports anti discrimination. The only people politicising it in an effort to debate why it shouldn’t happen are racist. In this case, people that follow Millwall FC. Their forum shows deep seated racist and political views and their action was very much pre-meditated. Living in their echo chamber is how these views grow. Their own players take the knee and it’s absolutely a gut punch to some of their fans. Good. 

Pleased the Chelsea fans showed class by applauding it. As @angieram intimated, silence isn’t an option. 

Didn’t Chelsea have 2 fans turn up with a white lives matter banner during a lockdown match? I’m assuming their fans applauded it to drown out any possible idiots. 

Milwall can sort this, quickly. They only had 2,000 fans, they will have had CCTV, they know who sat in what seats. Lifetime bans for any offenders. It can be done. They just don't want to go to war with their fan base and while I appreciate they have a particular issue that isn't entirely of their own making (like where they are based) but if they don't they are complicit.

40 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Did you think he 'condemned' it? 

What I saw seemed to be more of a politicians answer 'obviously I am disappointed because we have done lots of great work'.. 

Maybe,I’m at work and listened to his interview on TalkSPORT.

I’m not usually generous to Growett.

14 minutes ago, Coneheadjohn said:

Maybe,I’m at work and listened to his interview on TalkSPORT.

I’m not usually generous to Growett.

"I'm disappointed that we are talking about that when we should be talking about the fact we are all back and we want to enjoy the football match again.

The club do an enormous amount of work on anti-racism and the club do a lot of work in the community and there is some really positive stuff, so of course I am disappointed."

Seen a couple of lengthier statements but very similar in content. Also backs up the feeling the club /players aren't overly happy with the potentially political and empty gesture of taking the knee and are looking at new ways to promote equality. 

He obviously reads their message board or has a good idea of its content and is trying to cover all bases. 

Saying black lives matter and supporting the movement that is 'Black Lives Matter' are two different things. The absolute wastes of skin that showed up to Milwall yesterday are either incapable or unwilling of spotting the difference.

As for folk that want to keep politics out of football as some of them claim, by booing the taking of a knee you are simply ensuring that it continues. Well done you. 

56 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

this rant isn’t directed at you but you have brought up the political associations so it is relevant to your post, sorry! 

You can be conservative with out being a Conservative and you can support black lives matter without supporting Black Lives Matter. I don’t see why footballs most braindead can’t distinguish between players wanting equality across the world and players signing up to a political party. 

These same people would have been those criticising Mandela in South Africa and using any excuse to do so.

The fools don’t even know what Marxism is but regurgitate it because their favourite idiot Laurence Fox or equivalent has used it. 

FWIW I agree with you. I personally only associate the taking the knee with an anti racist message. Not sure why we need to look into it any more than that, because that’s clearly the intention of those doing it. Just saying I can understand why there would be debate, but debate is obviously very different to actively booing the gesture.

Archived