Mel's "Mistakes"

Big Bad Bob

I'm curious. Plenty of people on here say Mel has made mistakes. Perhaps these can be determined as mistakes with hindsight. But my curiosity is what are the mistakes people believe Mel made without hindsight? I.e. what would people class as a mistake as soon as Mel made a decision without seeing the results later on? 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, sage said:

Biggest one was too much trust in Sam Rush.

Second were the 2 transfer windows of the 2015/16 season.

Everything else was minor in comparison.

These sound like hindsight mistakes. I would struggle to criticise Mel for backing a manager the way he has. The fact the transfers didn't work out, we only know that afterwards. As for Sam, yes it ended quite sourly. But my recollection was that Sam went out and got the players the manager / recruitment team identified. And Sam came with great credentials. So again, to me this seems like hindsight.

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Going into the changing room undermining Clement.

Allowing players to have a direct line to him.

Meddled far too much at the start in player matters, and paid too little attention to what Rush was doing.

This is perhaps the one thing that I could think of that may have been deemed a mistake at the time. But I also recall sympathizing with him. He is the owner and paying their wages and they weren't doing the business. So he wanted to give them a kick up the backside which I get.

7 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Going into the changing room undermining Clement.

Allowing players to have a direct line to him.

Meddled far too much at the start in player matters, and paid too little attention to what Rush was doing.

Still think the DRONE,S  up Pearson,s a - - e .. was his best manouver ?

All Mel's problems stemmed from hiring Paul Clement.

He inherited our best squad of recent years and coached the aggression out of the players. His transfer dealings were generally poor and always expensive. Now the transfer situation may have been out of his hands - Rush and Evans probably culpable, but a better manager wouldn't have put up with that if he'd disagreed with it.

I thought it was a poor appointment at the time, so no hindsight there. I'll admit though, I did get excited at the expensive players coming through the door at the time.

That one appointment threw the club so far off course that everything since has been a series of over-corrections to try to regain control.

IMO most what have been said so far have not been the real problem, they've been the symptoms of lack of values & identity and strategy to reach those aka the very basic skill of organisational leadership.

Lack of real strategic leadership caused badly aligned managerial appointments which led to horrible transfer windows etc. The chain has been there for all to see.

Only Lampard and Cocu has been somewhat in line with each other. Shame he is selling now, when it seems like he has finally learned his lesson.

Mels biggest mistake was spending his hard earned cash on our and his club. The bloke was on a hiding to nothing from the out set. 
I love this club as much as anyone else but there is no way I would spunk my cash away on DCFC because it will never be good enough for some folk. 
Besides, £0.50p doesn’t go that far anyway ???‍♂️??‍♂️?

2 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Mels biggest mistake was spending his hard earned cash on our and his club. The bloke was on a hiding to nothing from the out set. 
I love this club as much as anyone else but there is no way I would spunk my cash away on DCFC because it will never be good enough for some folk. 
Besides, £0.50p doesn’t go that far anyway ???‍♂️??‍♂️?

Before this last year I would have been not overly critical of Morris but he's taken us backwards now. Cocu has been a poo appointment, maybe in hindsight but it's the reality and we are bottom of the league at a worse level than late Clough so for that reason everyone has the right to be pissed off. 

29 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

These sound like hindsight mistakes. I would struggle to criticise Mel for backing a manager the way he has. The fact the transfers didn't work out, we only know that afterwards. As for Sam, yes it ended quite sourly. But my recollection was that Sam went out and got the players the manager / recruitment team identified. And Sam came with great credentials. So again, to me this seems like hindsight.

a) He was warned about Rush and b) is simple budgeting

I think sacking McClaren the 2nd time round was a mistake. I feel he spoke with Rowett who was on the verge of going to Norwich I believe at the time and then perhaps thought 'I'm going to miss the boat here' so fired McClaren. I think if McClaren had another pre season with us would of bought in the right players to mount a challenge once again. 

Archived