Mel's "Mistakes"

Big Bad Bob

1 hour ago, David said:

And yet here we are fans getting all giddy over the potential worth of a Sheikh believing we’re about to become the next Man City.

January throwing player names out there as suggested signings that will be in the 10s of millions....and appointing managers like Rafa Benitez.

To spend is ok, if we increase our revenue. That’s what a good owner would endeavour to do.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think the way joiner gate was handled was poor. 

I appreciate its been discussed to death, but sacking keogh and only giving Lawrence and Bennett a one match ban was disproportionate. 

I know keogh put himself in a position where he couldn't play,  but in any other walk of life Lawrence and Bennett would also have been sacked,  the decisions made weren't moral decisions they were financial ones.

12 months down the line I am behind tom, but I still feel he should have spent more than 1 game out of the side.

Mel would never have been so rich if he hadn't have taken calculated risks in his business life. He has taken what he would have deemed calculated risks with running the club. He has continually stated throughout his tenure that running a Championship team is not a viable financial business model. Hindsight will now possibly prove in some peoples eyes that those calculated risks were more than calculated and in some cases deemed reckless. 

I'm sure he's taken due diligence in this last final decision he's made. There's no way he can 100% be certain that he's taken the right course of action. I pray for him that he has made the right decision. He's due a turn in fortune just like the team on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Biggest mistake was not having a sniper take Zamora out as he got off the subs bench at Wembley.

He would of walked into a Premiership club.  Albeit a little lighter in the pocket.

mel wasn't in charge then.

4 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

All Mel's problems stemmed from hiring Paul Clement.

He inherited our best squad of recent years and coached the aggression out of the players. His transfer dealings were generally poor and always expensive. Now the transfer situation may have been out of his hands - Rush and Evans probably culpable, but a better manager wouldn't have put up with that if he'd disagreed with it.

I thought it was a poor appointment at the time, so no hindsight there. I'll admit though, I did get excited at the expensive players coming through the door at the time.

That one appointment threw the club so far off course that everything since has been a series of over-corrections to try to regain control.

I thought the appointment of Clement showed balls, probably one of the only decisions I have approved of. We did not go down the same old, same old managers on the Championship merry go round. Perhaps if Morris had left him to get on with the job, it might have turned out differently.. I am also still not convinced they were ‘Clements’ signings. Always felt that they were dumped on him as a ‘coach’. 
Morris was in full meddle mode at that point. Clement’s failure was more Morris than his. 

Stephen Pearce gets off scot free again, I see.

Do people honestly think the financial chicanery comes from Mel?

'Lets amortise players this way Mel, you know it makes sense'.

'Sell the stadium to yourself Mel, I've noticed the EFL have copied and pasted the PL regs, allowing this loophole, let's us it before they notice'.

'What's that Mel? You suspect our CEO Sam has been making scouting payments to Claire Ince, amongst other irregularities, and I, the CFO at the time, didn't pick up on it? Sack him Mel, I know just the fellow to replace him'.

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I recall that our ffp charges were chucked out? 

Because we sold valuable asset to cover the mess that had been created. 

I’ve heard the assurances that there are all sorts of protections in place. 

Hypothetical scenario. 3 years time. Mel still owns the stadium and is completely at loggerheads with new owners. He gets a great offer to use the stadium for monster truck racing and sometimes that will be on matchdays. 
It’s obviously a ridiculous suggestion, but there will quite probably be some grey areas. 
And my point out of this ramble? We are only having this discussion because we sold the stadium as a one off to cover the excesses of a gamble that failed. 

2 hours ago, biellaram said:

To spend is ok, if we increase our revenue. That’s what a good owner would endeavour to do.

We have increased our revenue.

How many Championship clubs spend within their means? 

The topic is questioning Mel’s mistakes without hindsight. At the time, this forum was mostly very happy when we was spending all that money. 

New owner comes in, appoints Rafa, spends £40m in one window, I doubt we will see many complaints again.....unless we don’t go up, the EFL come knocking. 

I find it utterly bizarre that fans can complain over spending when each window it’s “where are the signings?” a minute after midnight.

If this new owner comes in, announces that he’s going to make this club sustainable, it’s going to go down like a lead balloon, guarantee it. 

There’s already some grumblings that we might only be the next Sheff Utd, not Man City which is mind boggling.

4 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

And lampard had experience? Eddie howe had 1 year at Burnley before  Bournemouth. There are young inexperienced coaches out there that have done well. 

Howe had years in lower leagues with Bournemouth before going to Burnley - failing there - and then returning to Bournemouth. 

There’s not much that - at the time - I’ve disagreed with. I admit I felt uncomfortable when we spent the money we spent under Clement and I felt uncomfortable signing so many players under Lampard. 

Managers:

Clement - understandable as he was one of the most highly rated coaches in the game. 
Pearson - most agreed we needed to get rid of the soft underbelly that caused teams like Rosler’s Wigan to roll us over. 
Mac2 - we shot up the league before injuries scuppered the season but that performance against Brighton paired with Mac giggling with Hughton on the sidelines was galling. 
Rowett - we got money for so technically a success. 
Lampard - we got money for so technically a success. 
Cocu - seemed exciting at the time. Between January and March of last season things seemed to be going very right and now things are certainly going wrong. 

The current owner of Sheffield United appointed our very own Nigel Clough as his first manager. If this was repeated here (hypothetically speaking), it would go down with a lead balloon. Unfairly in my opinion. 

So, Wayne Rooney - welcome to the managers office. 

2 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Mel would never have been so rich if he hadn't have taken calculated risks in his business life. He has taken what he would have deemed calculated risks with running the club. He has continually stated throughout his tenure that running a Championship team is not a viable financial business model. Hindsight will now possibly prove in some peoples eyes that those calculated risks were more than calculated and in some cases deemed reckless. 

I'm sure he's taken due diligence in this last final decision he's made. There's no way he can 100% be certain that he's taken the right course of action. I pray for him that he has made the right decision. He's due a turn in fortune just like the team on the pitch.

yes,  thanks to MM we ran rampant with Mount, Wilson and Lampard and almost made it to the PL. Wonderful times.   His mistakes?  perhaps not being a billionaire    And learning on the job how to run a championship club. Apart from that ...  hindsight is a wonderful thing 

35 minutes ago, David said:

We have increased our revenue.

How many Championship clubs spend within their means? 

The topic is questioning Mel’s mistakes without hindsight. At the time, this forum was mostly very happy when we was spending all that money. 

New owner comes in, appoints Rafa, spends £40m in one window, I doubt we will see many complaints again.....unless we don’t go up, the EFL come knocking. 

I find it utterly bizarre that fans can complain over spending when each window it’s “where are the signings?” a minute after midnight.

If this new owner comes in, announces that he’s going to make this club sustainable, it’s going to go down like a lead balloon, guarantee it. 

There’s already some grumblings that we might only be the next Sheff Utd, not Man City which is mind boggling.

I agree with what you say, I’m just a little more risk averse. I’m happy with us spending £40m, if we have the income to justify it! 

I think there was one monumental mistake that inevitably led to a few others. I also think it's a mistake that nearly all of us would have made. Sam 'always gets his man' Rush. Let's be honest here, we all thought he was tip-top. Turns out he was a horrid little grub, but a grub that had us all fooled nonetheless. Mel and the club have paid a heavy price for trusting that scheming little poo.

14 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I think there was one monumental mistake that inevitably led to a few others. I also think it's a mistake that nearly all of us would have made. Sam 'always gets his man' Rush. Let's be honest here, we all thought he was tip-top. Turns out he was a horrid little grub, but a grub that had us all fooled nonetheless. Mel and the club have paid a heavy price for trusting that scheming little poo.

I still don't know what exactly he did so wrong? 

I saw the thing about George Thorne costing £2.5m up front, and 10k a game upto a maximum of £4m. 

Even with hindsight, that was an incredible deal for a player most thought certain to reach the very top of the game.

Archived