Mel's "Mistakes"

Big Bad Bob

Giving Paul Clement the top job despite him not having the experience for the job. Then went on to back him financially with the signing of Butterfield and Johnson for ridiculous money and big wages ect. We’re still paying the price for them decisions today. I appreciate Rush was here at the Club at the time. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, it appears that Mel doesn't want to sack Cocu at this moment as it would cost him £4m and is hoping it will happen when the new owners take over,  Well Mel, you're the one who gave him the opportunity to manage our great club and it was you who gave him a 4 year contract.  Your mess, you clean it up!

I like to think Mel would probably agree with this and I don’t think it’s a bad thing to logically think this way.....his biggest mistake was trying to hard to be like us.

He didn’t need to be, you’ll never please everyone in life.

Just accept it, I’ve been there with my life and sharing it. Over the years I’ve understood that not everyone will be positively receptive, it’s about dealing with that and accepting it, even if you believe you know you’re in the right. Some will like apples, some will like oranges.

Just my opinion, obviously not factual one bit.

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I'm curious. Plenty of people on here say Mel has made mistakes. Perhaps these can be determined as mistakes with hindsight. But my curiosity is what are the mistakes people believe Mel made without hindsight? I.e. what would people class as a mistake as soon as Mel made a decision without seeing the results later on? 

without hindsight

That makes it hard.

Anyone genuinely want to say they foresaw the bad stuff?  That's not the same as all the folks saying "don't appoint Lampard, he's too inexperienced"

2 hours ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I'm curious. Plenty of people on here say Mel has made mistakes. Perhaps these can be determined as mistakes with hindsight. But my curiosity is what are the mistakes people believe Mel made without hindsight? I.e. what would people class as a mistake as soon as Mel made a decision without seeing the results later on? 

You’re going to struggle with this one as some won’t admit they were happy at the time and only with hindsight they have major gripes as it didn’t pan out.

Nice try though ?

1 hour ago, Cookie said:

Giving Paul Clement the top job despite him not having the experience for the job. Then went on to back him financially with the signing of Butterfield and Johnson for ridiculous money and big wages ect. We’re still paying the price for them decisions today. I appreciate Rush was here at the Club at the time. 

And lampard had experience? Eddie howe had 1 year at Burnley before  Bournemouth. There are young inexperienced coaches out there that have done well. 

5 minutes ago, David said:

You’re going to struggle with this one as some won’t admit they were happy at the time and only with hindsight they have major gripes as it didn’t pan out.

Nice try though ?

I think you are right. But I'm really struggling to think of a time when Mel did something he believed to be in the best interests of the club, that that was a mistake. So I'm starting to think that some of the criticism aimed at Mel saying he made mistakes isn't fully justified. 

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

without hindsight

That makes it hard.

Anyone genuinely want to say they foresaw the bad stuff?  That's not the same as all the folks saying "don't appoint Lampard, he's too inexperienced"

I wouldn't say I foresaw us being bottom and struggling but the signings of players like Waghorn and Lawrence seemed very questionable for the reported fee and big wages even though at the time I thought they would be better than what they have been, they havent been bad don't get me wrong but definitely not worth the transfer fees and wages. 

His biggest mistake has been letting the players have too much power and paying them all too much money but i guess that is Footballs mistake not his.

He shouldn't have gone into the dressing room and he should have fired all the players involved in the drunk driver thing immediately..

I didn't like the Pearson appointment at the time, but thought that he may get the best out of the players.

The signings of Butterfield and Johnson were wrong from the outset, but were done in a panic. We had just lost Hughes and Bryson for most of the season, but we should have signed 2 players on a season long loan instead. Spending that amount of money on transfer fees and salaries and then higher salaries for other first teamers to match them was obviously going to cause problems financially.

When Hughes and Bryson were fit again, how were Butterfield and Johnson going to fit in?

I think virtually all of MM's other decisions were well received at the time he made them

13 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I think you are right. But I'm really struggling to think of a time when Mel did something he believed to be in the best interests of the club, that that was a mistake. So I'm starting to think that some of the criticism aimed at Mel saying he made mistakes isn't fully justified. 

15/16 transfers, very few had any complaints. I saw lots of we’re going to walk the league stuff, hand us the trophy now.

Pearson appointment was something like 90% approval. 

The only things I can come up with that people may have had issues with at the time would be the dressing room incident, sacking of McClaren (both times), the stadium sale, not giving Chris Martin what he wanted and not undermining the manager by letting Hughes go to.

These would be the main ones, you could possibly throw in Lampard appointment but in general I would say mostly without hindsight there are very few complaints to be had.

When you throw in hindsight, well that’s a different ball game, if only you could run a club with hindsight, would have saved himself a few quid. 

It’s very easy to be swayed as to what the general consensus is within the circles you mix in and online platforms you use where the disgruntled tend to be more vocal.

I’m sure there are plenty out there that appreciate his efforts but are beyond arguing his case, the poll Mostyn put up whilst loaded, did have almost 60% wanting him to stay on.

Said in another post a few days ago, he won’t be truly appreciated by the fan base until years after he’s left. 

We are bottom of the league though, when you’re bottom of the league everyone will come under fire so I’m sure comments made on here and other social media outlets will come as no surprise.

His 9Mel's) biggest mistake and it was Lionel Pickerings as well is that he became a supporter first and foremost and an owner and custodian of the club second. 

It's easy situation to get lulled into when your too close,passionate  and love the thing/club your running. 

You desperately want success and try every avenue or opportunity you gain that because its what every supporter dreams and craves for.

Mel is just like all supporter wanting,hoping even at times praying for those long lost glory days to return,

4 minutes ago, David said:

15/16 transfers, very few had any complaints. I saw lots of we’re going to walk the league stuff, hand us the trophy now.

Pearson appointment was something like 90% approval. 

The only things I can come up with that people may have had issues with at the time would be the dressing room incident, sacking of McClaren (both times), the stadium sale, not giving Chris Martin what he wanted and not undermining the manager by letting Hughes go to.

These would be the main ones, you could possibly throw in Lampard appointment but in general I would say mostly without hindsight there are very few complaints to be had.

When you throw in hindsight, well that’s a different ball game, if only you could run a club with hindsight, would have saved himself a few quid. 

It’s very easy to be swayed as to what the general consensus is within the circles you mix in and online platforms you use where the disgruntled tend to be more vocal.

I’m sure there are plenty out there that appreciate his efforts but are beyond arguing his case, the poll Mostyn put up whilst loaded, did have almost 60% wanting him to stay on.

Said in another post a few days ago, he won’t be truly appreciated by the fan base until years after he’s left. 

We are bottom of the league though, when you’re bottom of the league everyone will come under fire so I’m sure comments made on here and other social media outlets will come as no surprise.

Agree totally 

ultimately mel is guilty of putting his faith in the wrong people and u can’t hold him accountable for that 

everything he’s done has been with dcfc at heart ... it’s not worked out but I’d still rather have him at the helm than the big unknown 

7 minutes ago, David said:

You put people in charge so that with hindsight they've done a good job. If they wanted someone to 'give it a go' one of us could have volunteered. He's admitted mistakes himself, very commendable but doesn't help the club. Now he's taking his money back out, and possibly keeping the stadium?

8 minutes ago, biellaram said:

His mistake is just plainly failing to pay proper adherence to FFP and to plan accordingly. It’s not about hindsight. If you overspend, above your permitted ratio re income, it’s a failure of governance. 
Everything else came from this. 

And yet here we are fans getting all giddy over the potential worth of a Sheikh believing we’re about to become the next Man City.

January throwing player names out there as suggested signings that will be in the 10s of millions....and appointing managers like Rafa Benitez.

9 minutes ago, biellaram said:

His mistake is just plainly failing to pay proper adherence to FFP and to plan accordingly. It’s not about hindsight. If you overspend, above your permitted ratio re income, it’s a failure of governance. 
Everything else came from this. 

I recall that our ffp charges were chucked out? 

Archived