Mel's "Mistakes"

Big Bad Bob

7 minutes ago, David said:

And yet here we are fans getting all giddy over the potential worth of a Sheikh believing we’re about to become the next Man City.

January throwing player names out there as suggested signings that will be in the 10s of millions....and appointing managers like Rafa Benitez.

Yeah, cos Mel's left us in desperate need of money and a decent manager!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

His 9Mel's) biggest mistake and it was Lionel Pickerings as well is that he became a supporter first and foremost and an owner and custodian of the club second. 

It's easy situation to get lulled into when your too close,passionate  and love the thing/club your running. 

You desperately want success and try every avenue or opportunity you gain that because its what every supporter dreams and craves for.

Mel is just like all supporter wanting,hoping even at times praying for those long lost glory days to return,

So Mel's mistake was to be a dcfc supporter? Mel is also a very astute businessman.

If someone offered you a supporter of dcfc, that's wants the very best for that club, has the wealth to potentially do that, is willing to invest, is a very successful businessman and who is also willing to commit their time and effort into the club, you'd turn it down? That sounds like a description of a person you'd want to run the club. 

29 minutes ago, David said:

Said in another post a few days ago, he won’t be truly appreciated by the fan base until years after he’s left. 

I for one am extremely grateful for the time, effort and money Mel has invested. I'm gutted for him that he hasn't been able to see us get promoted whilst owner of the club. 

2 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Is that fact? And, if so, is it unusual?

Yep, at Breakfast Club he had his phone out and was reading a message sent by Chris Baird if I remember correctly.

Probably not unusual but when it became evident how much the players had, I can see why many would call it a mistake.

52 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

And lampard had experience? Eddie howe had 1 year at Burnley before  Bournemouth. There are young inexperienced coaches out there that have done well. 

Eh? Howe started at Bournemouth as player manager in the fourth division. Went to Burnley, then went back. 

Being a owner and supporter means you can sometimes let your heart rule your head. 

If you want something so much and feel if you just go the extra mile even though it maybe a risk in doing so. This when your judgement can be blurred.

As an example I go back to the season we employed Clement an' untried' manager. He was seemingly given free licence to sign numerous players on large fee's who damaged financially while not improving our on field position.

This just my view my i add.

Mel’s biggest mistake was the combination of introducing “The Derby Way” and then not having the conviction to see it through. 

Sacking McClaren without allowing him to shape (rebuild) the team, was a mistake made twice. SM had to deal with what he inherited twice, only adding freebies and loans, with occasional cheap transfer. 

I won’t criticise him for appointing any manager, as they all had reputation and/or history.  But sacking managers too early is questionable. 

Entering the dressing room at half time was an error in judgement. 

Not having Bacon or Sausage at breakfast club is a major mistake. 

16 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Eh? Howe started at Bournemouth as player manager in the fourth division. Went to Burnley, then went back. 

Sorry I missed that bit about player manager before Burnley. But the point stands about lacking in experience but achieving success. 

1 hour ago, David said:

You’re going to struggle with this one as some won’t admit they were happy at the time and only with hindsight they have major gripes as it didn’t pan out.

Nice try though ?

I agree. This has been a slow and steady car crash for Mel though, and I hope he comes out with body and soul intact, and hopefully someone can repair the badly damaged car.  But until very recently he has always had the vast majority of fans cheering him on along the way, waving their flags and scarves even during times when his manoeuvres were taking the car badly off track. 

18 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Being a owner and supporter means you can sometimes let your heart rule your head. 

If you want something so much and feel if you just go the extra mile even though it maybe a risk in doing so. This when your judgement can be blurred.

As an example I go back to the season we employed Clement an' untried' manager. He was seemingly given free licence to sign numerous players on large fee's who damaged financially while not improving our on field position.

This just my view my i add.

The alternative would have been to say you don't have enough experience so I don't trust and I'm not backing you. 

I find it hard to argue against backing the person he employed to move the team upwards. 

On the sacking of mclaren first time around, do we know that he hadn't lost the dressing room following the Newcastle speculation and refusal to rule it out? I don't know if he had or hadn't, but results started to go against us. How long would have been correct to leave it before taking action? 

24 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

The drone episode with Legohead. And going into the players dressing room after a game. And allowing players to have access to him without following the chain.

An instant way to undermine any manager. 

The drone thing never happened.

9 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

On the sacking of mclaren first time around, do we know that he hadn't lost the dressing room following the Newcastle speculation and refusal to rule it out? I don't know if he had or hadn't, but results started to go against us. How long would have been correct to leave it before taking action? 

we had an epic injury crisis and mental weakness in the squad. He should have been allowed to weed out the players that crumbled and build. Instead, we carried on with some players getting restarts under each new manager.

17 minutes ago, Big Bad Bob said:

The alternative would have been to say you don't have enough experience so I don't trust and I'm not backing you. 

I find it hard to argue against backing the person he employed to move the team upwards. 

Set a more realistic overall transfer/wages budget. I mean it seems we signed Bradley 'Derby City' on almost a whim!

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

without hindsight

That makes it hard.

Anyone genuinely want to say they foresaw the bad stuff?  That's not the same as all the folks saying "don't appoint Lampard, he's too inexperienced"

Genuinely i criticised the accounting practice because I saw the risks of buying players in the hope they retain their value

1 hour ago, Big Bad Bob said:

I recall that our ffp charges were chucked out? 

Apologies Bob, I didn’t mean that we were guilty as charged by the EFL, but that we were guilty of mismanagement as evidenced by the sale of the jewel of any club, its stadium. If we were well managed would this have happened? Desperate times called for desperate measures. Or do you really think he just got unlucky?

Archived