Derby County Managers

neil62uk

16 minutes ago, CocuCrazyCocuMad said:

Was it? Were the U9s playing a similar style of football as the first team (appreciate that isn't attractive at the min - long process)?. That's what he's said he wants to achieve.

Oh no. Best he goes very soon because perhaps we should be playing like the U18 champions or the U23s not the other way around!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Oh no. Best he goes very soon because perhaps we should be playing like the U18 champions or the U23s not the other way around!

Its a bit different. He's not got many in the first team with a point to prove has he. I mean his captain wants his job.

3 hours ago, neil62uk said:

Interesting very interesting  said Barry Davies 

Gee Screamer said Martin Tyler 

TYLER durden  Gee Screamer ...are they one off the same person 

?????????

Well, there's an easy way to find out...

"Look at his face.  Just look at his face"!   

My first season as a Derby fan was George Burley's last, so I can only judge this by then, however in my opinion...

- Best by a million miles was McClaren. Swash-buckling football. Electric atmosphere amongst supporters. Club felt like a united happy family and every single game was exciting. Miss it all constantly...and it unfortunately has become my barometer for every manager that has followed.

- Second has to be Rowett, but not for any of the reasons that made McClaren so great. Rowett just got us into a siege mentality. Us against them. I remember the Cardiff snow stuff being hilarious. Some of his interviews were absolute gold, too. Winding up the Forest fans about trainers...swearing at them...brilliant. Plus, Gary was a really, really good guy and I'm sure one day it'll come out as to why he decided to go off to Stoke. There was a lot more too it than a lot of us know.

- Behind them only really comes Lampard...I didn't like him from day one, but man there were some brilliant days with him, Leeds, Wembley. Got to see some great players, too. Hated the Wassall period until he stormed through a sea of Hull supporters to clap the Derby fans at the end of the second play-off game. It was then that I realised I'd been too harsh on him.

- Clough was one of our own. Will always have a soft spot for him.

- Everyone else, shut the door on your way out. 

9 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

- Best by a million miles was McClaren. Swash-buckling football. Electric atmosphere amongst supporters. Club felt like a united happy family and every single game was exciting. Miss it all constantly...and it unfortunately has become my barometer for every manager that has followed.

*big heart* emoji

Even Mac2 for me. Of course I remember the days when losing a game was an unthinkable disaster, or at least it seemed to me as a youngster, thanks Brian & Peter.

1 minute ago, BaaLocks said:

We are an absolute graveyard for managers - only Phil Brown and Clough went on to do better things.

I suspect Cocu will too, just not in a league that's physical. I wouldn't be surprised to see him becoming a top manager in Spain. 

He's not a bad manager, but not for us. His style is so unsuitable that I'd argue that he's our second worst manager of my lifetime - Tommy Docherty being easily the first.

My first season as a Rams fan was 93/94, culminating with heartbreak at Wembley as Leicester stole the match from us.

Since then it's probably Jewell who is the worst really, for all the reasons mentioned here in previous posts. A disaster from start to finish, with literally no redeeming features.

A few years ago though I was at a charity dinner with many of our greats, and Roy Mac was on our table (the second time I'd met him after he'd nicked a chip off me on my lunch break from school many years previously). There was a quiz during the evening where each table had to name all the previous DCFC managers. I called up Tommy Docherty and Roy pulled a face which, suffice to say, betrayed his feelings towards the man...

Personally though - and I know this might be deeply unpopular - but I always loathed Billy Davies. Boring football played with little flair, all in the hope that somehow we'd get the win. And we did, numerous times despite not deserving them. I think we scored more than 2 goals in a game only 3 times that season, which says it all. Lots of 1-0 wins. No wonder he got found out in the Prem. ******.

I started supporting the mighty Rams as an 8 year 9ld in the 79/80 season, the year we dropped out of the top flight 5 years after being the best team in the land.  But I hold Tommy Docherty responsible for that and the years of misery I’ve had to endure?.

I’ve seen a BT Sport documentary called “Too Good to go Down” about Man Utd’s decline from European Champions to relegation to the then 2nd Division.  Obviously Doc’s period is featured because as well as being in charge when they went down he also got them back up.  I think it’s a Willie Morgan who talked about how he couldn’t manage senior players and saw them as a threat so he got rid and brought in younger players who he could manipulate a bit more.

It brought him success there but failed miserably here.  Tried to change too much too soon and maybe afraid of living up to their expectations with some of them having league titles and European football.

My first season that I can really remember and say I followed every game as a fan was 92/93 season. Cox had a bad back or something and never came back and I think Roy Mac finished the season. Expensively assembled squad of good players who all went on to do well elsewhere in the game but never gelled as a team. That said vividly remember Leicester stealing the play off final, the only time alongside Euro 96 Germany and World Cup 98 Argentina I have cried due to football.

Therefore Jim Smith is the best manager for me by a mile. His win percentages need to be taken into context as all but 1 season we were in the top flight (which makes Clough and even Mackay’s win percentages more staggering - we talk about Clough but what a dumb decision to get rid of Mackay)

After Jim, the only manager who has come close in terms of the football played is Steve McClaren. You can also pinpoint our decline under Jim to the day McClaren left for Man United, so he also had a big influence on that team in the late 90s. If the league was held in a calendar year, Derby would have won the championship at a canter, for 16 months under McClaren we were the best team in the Championship, we were sensational. But we did it on a budget and a lean squad meant injuries to key players scuppered us. I thought he had courted Newcastle so agreed with the sacking at the time, I might revise my opinion now, but I definitely thought it was a mistake to sack him the second time.

Notable mentions to George Burley, what he did under the three amigos was incredible and he turned the worst team (Yes the 02/03 was a lot worst than this team) of my lifetime into an excellent footballing team that nearly got promoted. 

Billy, I hate him but got a crap team promoted and we would have had more than 11 points had we kept him, we might have even got back up.

Nigel built that McClaren team balancing the books after the waste of Jewell and to some degree Billy as well. Deserves credit in my book. Cocu is doing a similar job to Clough in my eyes and has done ok until recently. We’ve never had a manager as insightful on the game, he’s a good manager who will succeed elsewhere, unfortunately he’s not proved to be the right fit for the championship.

Rowett and Lampard both did good jobs but wasted quite a bit of money which has set Cocu back. 

As for the worst, Jewell definitely, John Gregory, Phil Brown stand out. I’d also add Clement into this list. People can bang on about his win percentages and that we sacked him when 5th in the league, we were on a massive decline when we sacked him looked like tumbling out the playoffs again, and he had presided over the biggest net spend of any Derby manager in our lifetime including the likes of Butterfield and Blackman. I never understood the appointment, was a big risk, couldn’t believe we paid him £2m a year for his first managerial job, and he has proved subsequently that he is crap.

On 09/11/2020 at 20:13, Asheville Ram said:

in an effort to put some logic into this debate here are a list of mangers from the modern era i.e B Clough onwards in order of crap to good.

image.png.0a2a2122fc7df097841c5d249dc92c6a.png

There’s only a 3% difference between being rated ?- cocu

and rated a legend - Jim smith

On 09/11/2020 at 20:13, Asheville Ram said:

in an effort to put some logic into this debate here are a list of mangers from the modern era i.e B Clough onwards in order of crap to good.

image.png.0a2a2122fc7df097841c5d249dc92c6a.png

This ought to be the definitive answer really - but of course we take so much more into account than "just" results - although ultimately that is what it all comes down to.

For that reason, I would always say Tommy Docherty as he was such an odious man who made me fall out of love with my football club.

Cocu currently sitting just below Nigel Clough is about right for me. Lots of good qualities in both, seemingly nice blokes who I want to succeed, but ultimately probably not the right fit for our club.

Archived