Derby County Managers

neil62uk

Wow, we have had some crap managers haven’t we!!! 

We are definitely worth a break at some point! 

For me, the worst in my time was Jewel, by a mile. Inherited a poor side and then made it even worse. Recruited poorly after that and put us out of contention for a long time as we then had to shift who he brought in. 

Next few are on a par for me: 

Brown, Gregory & Pearson. 

Next tier - 

Cocu, Clement & Rowett. 

I hope the management Gods give us a break with the next appointment. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, England Ram said:

Wow, we have had some crap managers haven’t we!!! 

We are definitely worth a break at some point! 

For me, the worst in my time was Jewel, by a mile. Inherited a poor side and then made it even worse. Recruited poorly after that and put us out of contention for a long time as we then had to shift who he brought in. 

Next few are on a par for me: 

Brown, Gregory & Pearson. 

Next tier - 

Cocu, Clement & Rowett. 

I hope the management Gods give us a break with the next appointment. 

Not many mentioning Toddie on here....

9 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Just my opinion, Clement had us top at Christmas, Rowett killed what excited me about going to watch football. Plus, snake. 

'Tosh' was unreasonable; 'strongly disagree' would have been more appropriate. Apologies.

But we were 3rd at Christmas under Rowett. And I thought Clement's football was dull.

22 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Jewell will go down in history as the worst ever Premier League manager. The fact he dragged us there with him gives him the honour of also being our worst ever manager. 

Docherty tore apart the, then, Division 1 champions, when only gentle evolutionary change was needed, and lay the foundations for a team that would plummet to the third tier. Of course, he had left by then.

On 08/11/2020 at 08:42, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Rowett second bottom, five places below Clement? Tosh.

23 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

'Tosh' was unreasonable

Yes.  Yes it was.  He never even managed us, for a start!

*Young 'uns may need to do a bit of Googling, to know who the hell I'm on about!  ?

Oh... and No... I'm not on about Tosh Lines from The Bill!

On 08/11/2020 at 01:11, Mostyn6 said:

Phil Brown and Nigel Pearson were both dealt worse hands than Phil Cocu

Not too sure about Phil Brown as it was a year before I had a season ticket, I was only 5/6 at the time he was manager. But if you're saying Nigel Pearson was dealt a worse hand then Cocu then I don't know what to think. 

Just now, Mucker1884 said:

Yes.  Yes it was.  He never even managed us, for a start!

*Young 'uns may need to do a bit of Googling, to know who the hell I'm on about!  ?

Oh... and No... I'm not on about Tosh Lines from The Bill!

From the other side of that famous double act, how about Keegan as manager. At least he'd have us playing with a gung-ho approach ?

I put Cocu as the worse manager we've ever had , As he's an easy target at the moment  hasn't been dealt the best of hands  but I guess we make our own luck 

but for me TOMMY DOCHERTY  is the worse in my opinion  as he sold off my childhood hero,s  and replaced them with substandard replacements  the rest is history

thank you to those whom took part in this post ?

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Jewell has got to be the worst by a country mile.

He inherited an appalling team, lavished millions on bringing new players in and actually contrived to make the team worse. Try and beat that one. 

I'd rather beat Paul Jewell  for what he did 

Just now, Tyler Durden said:

Jewell has got to be the worst by a country mile.

He inherited an appalling team, lavished millions on bringing new players in and actually contrived to make the team worse. Try and beat that one. 

Rubbish

That 3 million quid we paid Mills, Robert, Sterkovski, Kazmierizak and Stubbs for 5 games between them was a steal .  Not to mention 750k for  Dickinson and a 1.5 million loan fee for Ellington. 

4 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Docherty tore apart the, then, Division 1 champions, when only gentle evolutionary change was needed, and lay the foundations for a team that would plummet to the third tier. Of course, he had left by then.

That was a little before my time so hard for me to fully appreciate the magnitude of the situation. Although I do remember King Arthur rebuilding us. How we could do with him right now. 

Cocu has had, by far, the worst luck and base to work from I've ever known.

We will never know how good/poor a manager he really is because it doesn't look like we will get to see a team with his own players in who buy into what he is trying to do. But we do know Mel had a 'Derby Way' which revolved around the Academy and Cocu brought into that (many didn't/wouldn't) and in fairness he has delivered in terms of adding value to Sibley, Bird, Knight, Buchanan, Whittaker.

Unfortunately this isn't the 1980s though and no manager has the time to strip back and start again - even if that's what's needed (and it was universally accepted that it was needed). He's trying to change the club from bottom to top, not top to bottom. U9s - U23s it is no doubt working. But his effort has gone into to everything else (which isn't seen) and not enough effort has gone into working with what he has in the first team. Plus he has made some strange decisions - not sure why.

Having said that if you're a senior pro and you (a) can adapt to new styles or (b) you're not putting the effort in to put blame on the manager then you shouldn't wear the shirt. Seen examples of this a lot in the last few years.

Bottom line is it isn't working for the first team but if anyone thinks Cocu should resign then you're wrong. He was given a project with basic/not fit for purpose tools, if he's not allowed to finish then he's owed what is written in his contract.

1 hour ago, neil62uk said:

I put Cocu as the worse manager we've ever had , As he's an easy target at the moment  hasn't been dealt the best of hands  but I guess we make our own luck 

but for me TOMMY DOCHERTY  is the worse in my opinion  as he sold off my childhood hero,s  and replaced them with substandard replacements  the rest is history

thank you to those whom took part in this post ?

Agree with the Tommy Doc comment , we had some cr@p to endure after that......some folks on here don't know they're born !!

9 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It was working before him - see the youth he tried and then sold or mostly discarded? 

Was it? Were the U9s playing a similar style of football as the first team (appreciate that isn't attractive at the min - long process)?. That's what he's said he wants to achieve.

As for producing players. I personally think we're the same as most clubs at this level in that we produce the odd good player. Nothing special. And we've certainly not sold them for what we all think they're worth at the time.

Cocu has a reputation for selling a player when the time is right and their value is high. So he probably wouldn't have sold Hughes for £7m (or whatever it was).

Archived