Derby County Managers

neil62uk

If this goes down like a lead balloon then so be it ,

Just curious to people's perceptions of whom is the worse Derby County manager they've had the misfortune to see .

I've listed below all the managers I've had the pleasure and unfortunately the discomfort to see since my first ever time of watching my beloved Derby County 

For me PHILLIP COCU  takes pride and place as the worse ever manager I've had to witness as a Derby County fan .

I do respect opinions will differ  BUT THAT IS WHAT AN EDUCATED FORUM IS ABOUT ..I use the term EDUCATED lightly as I am aware I  do come out with  some rather unsavory and random comments ? treat this post with the contempt you think it warrant's 

Brain Clough 

Jimmy Gordon 

Dave McKay 

Colin Murphy 

Tommy Docherty

Colin Addison

John Newman 

Peter Taylor 

Roy Mcfarland 

Arthur Cox 

Roy Mcfarland 

Billy McEwan 

Jim Smith 

Colin Todd 

Billy McEwan 

John Gregory

Mark Lillis 

George Burley 

Phill Brown 

Terry Westley 

Billy Davies

Paul Jewell

Chris Hutchings 

David Lowe 

Nigel Clough 

Darren Wassall 

Steve McClaren

Paul Clement 

Darren Wassall 

Nigel Pearson 

Chris Powell 

Steve McClaren 

Gary Rowett 

Frank Lampard 

Phillip Cocu 

I have added Jack Barker , Harry Storer , Tim Ward  but these were before my time  but maybe not before others 

C.O.Y.R  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dispite the demise of the first teams present performance, I don't regard Cocu as the worst simply because he has had significant difficulties during his reign . He has in fairness brought through several academy players whilst making some astute signings. I am in no way defending his present position and believe his position is now intenable.

The best one is the worst for me. Brian Clough spouted off too much, more or less gave the chairman no option but to accept his resignation. I think he was wrong even though he did the best for the club he also did the worst. I even think Brian regretted it.

Apart from that Tommy Docherty he was a twit. I can remember scribbling his face and Brian Cloughs at Forest faces out in my Panini Sticker Album. I bet it’s in my mums attic.

Cocu is far from the worst. It's just like the football itself - everything but the finish.

The recruitment has been good, we play a style of football that makes sense on paper, that style goes all the way down to the academy and that has paved the way for academy graduates. We've seen the likes of Bird, Knight, Sibley, Buchanan, Whittaker all come through under Cocu.

From that perspective it's been great. It just hasn't translated to wins.

Everything but the finish.

I really can’t see any way you can argue that Philip Cocu has done a worse job than Nigel Pearson, when you consider his whole time in charge. Pearson was so bad he was binned off after about 10 games. At least Cocu had one ok season before he replicated the Pearson nightmare.

I can only really comment on managers since Nigel Clough, but my ranking of the permanent managers that have taken charge in my time watching would be:

Steve McClaren

Gary Rowett

Frank Lampard

Paul Clement 

Nigel Clough

Philip Cocu

Nigel Pearson

Pearson is at the bottom of that list by a looooooooong way

Recency bias.

Paul Jewell & Phil Brown were both worse than Cocu. Its going to be dismissed now but Phil did get us a 10th placed finish & a playoff push last season despite having to deal with some appalling off field circumstances. 

Looking at that recent list though, you do wonder if we're just bloody cursed

In the last 10 years, we've had;

Son of our greatest ever manager

Ex-England manager, Eredivise winner & Europa League runner up (twice)

Real Madrid/PSG/Chelsea wondercoach

Architect of Leicester's Premier League title winning team

Ex-England midfielder & current Chelsea manager

3 time Eredivise winner & World Cup finalist assistant manager

Oh...and Gary Rowett. And we've failed with every single one of them. Where are we going wrong?

Going from around 2000:

Paul Jewell is head shoulders and sweaty scouse ballsack away the absolute worst manager we've ever had.

Phil Brown was pretty bad, as was Nigel Pearson, the current abortion of a season is also pretty bad. but they're all distant behind Jewell.

Thing is you've usually got to think about things in context. And in context, not pumping jewell out as soon as the final whistle went on that season was the worst mistake we made. The board even let p-star spend money getting rid of players and bringing in new players for the 80/09 promotion challenge (they really were that nieve about english football) - Yes, Nigel Clough had to tighten the spending but they let Jewell have a real go.

Phil Brown had to deal with the 3 amiegos, and was rubbish, Pearson wasn't given time, but I'd seen enough to not want to be good at being a Nigel Pearson kind of team and then there's the current situation. We're just so lacking in danager. We must be the easiest team in the league to defend against.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Going from around 2000:

Paul Jewell is head shoulders and sweaty scouse ballsack away the absolute worst manager we've ever had.

Phil Brown was pretty bad, as was Nigel Pearson, the current abortion of a season is also pretty bad. but they're all distant behind Jewell.

Thing is you've usually got to think about things in context. And in context, not pumping jewell out as soon as the final whistle went on that season was the worst mistake we made. The board even let p-star spend money getting rid of players and bringing in new players for the 80/09 promotion challenge (they really were that nieve about english football) - Yes, Nigel Clough had to tighten the spending but they let Jewell have a real go.

Phil Brown had to deal with the 3 amiegos, and was rubbish, Pearson wasn't given time, but I'd seen enough to not want to be good at being a Nigel Pearson kind of team and then there's the current situation. We're just so lacking in danager. We must be the easiest team in the league to defend against.

oh poo, just remembered John Gregory. not as bad as Jewell, but bad.

I’ve seen the same managers. Cocu wouldn’t even rate in the worst six

Phil brown

paul Jewell

john Newman

nigel Pearson

tommy doc

gary rowett

Archived