Derby County v Barnsley: Matchday Thread

Rampant

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Recently? Nope.

If you disagree then fair enough but personally thought his performances in particular against Forest and Cardiff were markedly better than anything we've seen from Rooney in the same position. Especially in conjunction with the burgeoning connection with Lawrence and Jozwiak.

Was it perfect ? No but we actually looked like we were sharp up front, had prescence and the ability to press from the front which has been sorely lacking this season.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

If you disagree then fair enough but personally thought his performances in particular against Forest and Cardiff were markedly better than anything we've seen from Rooney in the same position.

Lets give him the same chance. Waghorn offside, and Waghorn not linking up, is getting dull.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lets give him the same chance. Waghorn offside, and Waghorn not linking up, is getting dull.

Waghorn has been linking up though, in particular linking well with Jozwiak and Lawrence when they've been given the freedom to get close and play off each other. Those games we didn't take our chances but we were creating them. When Rooney has been up front we are not even getting chances. 

I don't know why I'm arguing the toss though, I'm confident Waghorn will be dropped on Saturday for Rooney and revert back to 343 even if I think both are mistakes. So in that sense I genuinely hope you are right and I can admit to being an idiot for not seeing it in a couple weeks.

I just worry we are making several tactical concessions and warping what we are trying to do to fit in player who it isn't clear at all whether it's worth it anymore.

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Waghorn has been linking up though, in particular linking well with Jozwiak and Lawrence when they've been given the freedom to get close and play off each other. Those games we didn't take our chances but we were creating them.

Nothing else to do then.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You wanted to point out how well that 3 were doing? OK.

Ah ok. Apologies for not catching your meaning. 

My point was not that they were outstanding or perfect but that it was markedly better and something to build on. We actually looked like getting into dangerous areas and creating good chances which is something we've struggled with all season. The fact that they weren't making the most of the chances I was willing to cut a bit of slack to due to Lawrence and Waghorn just being back from injury, Jozwiak having a somewhat stop-start beginning at the club and that they were making the chances between them for the most part.

Marshall 

Byrne    Davies Clarke Buchanan 

Bielik 

Knight             Sibley   

Jozwiak   Waghorn    Ibe    

This for me but I'm fairly sure Rooney has a clause to say if fit he must play.

Why is everyone going 4 at back? Failed against QPR. 3 with wing backs bombing forward can be far more aggressive particularly as Byrne and Buchanan are ideally suited imo. Let's go with the mobile front 3 excluding Rooney. I would also play Knight and Sibley in centre mid. 

8 minutes ago, Norwichram2 said:

Why is everyone going 4 at back? Failed against QPR. 3 with wing backs bombing forward can be far more aggressive particularly as Byrne and Buchanan are ideally suited imo. Let's go with the mobile front 3 excluding Rooney. I would also play Knight and Sibley in centre mid. 

For those slating Rooney, he was the only one who came closest to scoring yesterday. 

Agreed that that dynamism is missing, but I think he can be a very dangerous threat in that position. Didn’t help yesterday that Lawrence and Waghorn were terrible. 

343, we look more a threat going forward in this formation. Last night was a hard watch, as despite having an extra attacker, we looked slower and lacked ideas.

In terms of who, I’m not entirely sure. As others have said, we have so many players out of form and very low on confidence. A few must starts for me, barring injury or another setback:

Marshall, Byrne, Buchanan, Knight, Shinnie, Jozwiak.

the other 5 need to be 3 CB’s, a wide man and a striker.

Probably Davies, Clarke, Te Wierik, Waggy and Lawrence, but not fussed.

Marshall
Byrne, te Wierik, Clarke, Buchanan
Bielik
Jozwiak, Knight, Sibley, Ibe
CKR

I'll actively encourage someone to 'injure Rooney in training' if there is a clause in his contract.

Edit - Before anyone says anything I wouldn't wish an actual injury on anyone... just to put the news out there that he'd been injured in training.

I'd like to see Stretton get a start. No team with our record, in our division, should overlook the top goalscorer in the highest level of academy football in this country. 

He may not be the full article, but nothing wrong with going with the 'hot hand' and hoping that the confidence and off-the-ball movement leads to a goal. What have we got to lose? He doesn't score a goal... he wouldn't look out of place in our first team then. 

19 minutes ago, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Marshall
Byrne, te Wierik, Clarke, Buchanan
Bielik
Jozwiak, Knight, Sibley, Ibe
CKR

I'll actively encourage someone to 'injure Rooney in training' if there is a clause in his contract.

Edit - Before anyone says anything I wouldn't wish an actual injury on anyone... just to put the news out there that he'd been injured in training.

Bielik doesn’t look ready yet and Ibe is playing for the U23s tomorrow isn’t he ?

Archived