U23s vs West Ham (H)

Ghost of Clough

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Must be a bit frustrating for the under 23s when their game plan is hi-jacked to give first teamers minutes. They can't have trained with Evans, Bielik or Whittaker recently and it showed at times. Bielik tired badly and this helped West Ham to get back into the game.

Still, great going forward and we should have made more of that dominant first half as the wind was a major factor. 

Pleased for Stretton  - lovely hat-trick showing his diversity of play. 

I agree and would also suggest Bielik looks quite a way off being ready for a first team start, especially in midfield. 

33 minutes ago, angieram said:

Must be a bit frustrating for the under 23s when their game plan is hi-jacked to give first teamers minutes. They can't have trained with Evans, Bielik or Whittaker recently and it showed at times. Bielik tired badly and this helped West Ham to get back into the game.

Still, great going forward and we should have made more of that dominant first half as the wind was a major factor. 

Pleased for Stretton  - lovely hat-trick showing his diversity of play. 

Hasn't he got a few goals .  When does he join Man City for a million quid

41 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Missed a 'sitter' of a header too. I wonder why there isn't a hue & cry for him to be in the 1st team squad like there is Bobby?! (Hope to see more of him soon)

edit: ps where's Trialist?

He just seems to lack the all round game to be in with a shout at the moment. Similar to Trialist in that regard, but Trialist is currently ahead of him due to having a solid goalscoring season behind him at U23 level.

Stretton will be closer to the first team than him next season unless he gets a good run playing first team football (either with us or on loan).

10 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Only really saw the first half, but Archie Brown can't be far off a regular 1st team berth.

It's a strange one because I think he wants to be a LB but he always impresses me more on the wing, as it means he's in the areas where he causes them trouble more often.

At LB/LWB the competition is only Buchanan and Fozzy. On the wing there is Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Whittaker, Sibley, Knight, Holmes, Waghorn and even Rooney who may be viewed as options ahead of him. In a back 5, he'll get a chance this season, which may have been a factor in him wanting to focus on being a LB for the U23s.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's a strange one because I think he wants to be a LB but he always impresses me more on the wing, as it means he's in the areas where he causes them trouble more often.

At LB/LWB the competition is only Buchanan and Fozzy. On the wing there is Lawrence, Jozwiak, Ibe, Whittaker, Sibley, Knight, Holmes, Waghorn and even Rooney who may be viewed as options ahead of him. In a back 5, he'll get a chance this season, which may have been a factor in him wanting to focus on being a LB for the U23s.

Great posts, GoC

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Hasn't he got a few goals .  When does he join Man City for a million quid

stretton will be out on loan in Jan 

for me see how he gets on in league one/two 

I like the lad think he will play for Derby some point 

17 hours ago, sage said:

I agree and would also suggest Bielik looks quite a way off being ready for a first team start, especially in midfield. 

The class is there (his pass to Stretton for the second was sublime) but he looks a bit clumsy at the moment. He would be a liability as a starter right now, but in a couple of games he’s a shoo-in.
Interesting that he’s starting in midfield and not a CB where he would have more time, less running etc. I think he is earmarked for CM not CH.

20 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

The class is there (his pass to Stretton for the second was sublime) but he looks a bit clumsy at the moment. He would be a liability as a starter right now, but in a couple of games he’s a shoo-in.
Interesting that he’s starting in midfield and not a CB where he would have more time, less running etc. I think he is earmarked for CM not CH.

I would possibly agree. Playing CM requires more stamina so a 1st team start would be further away but could also be argued that play CM in the U23s will get him up to speed quicker. 

As I have alluded to in another thread, I think he is the key from switching from 433 to 343 and back again. 

Archived